Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS/32GB slow charging (5 1/2 hrs - using 500ma only?)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Default 3GS/32GB slow charging (5 1/2 hrs - using 500ma only?)
    I have a 3GS that I think takes too long to fully charge. From a complete discharge (shut off automatically) it takes 5 1/2 hours to reach 100% (1 1/2 hrs off + 3 hrs in standby). My research indicates this is about 1/2 the normal time. This leads me to believe it accepts only 500ma, not the higher 1amp charge. Also, the charger does not get warm like it does when charging the 3G and the 3G charges in 1/2 the time.

Note: I purchased this 1 yr-old 3GS a couple weeks ago and noticed it charging slowly. So, the 1st thing I did was replace the battery with an Apple original. Charging times did not change. Uggg.

The battery % display (SBSettings) rarely reaches 100% even when plugged in (99% most of the time). It also reduces from 100/99 to 92/3 quickly (10-15 min), but thereafter it's seems normal. A complete charge yields 5-6 hrs with moderately high usage and wifi on, bluetooth on, push on, email, safari, etc. I assume this is normal for a 3GS. This was my normal for the 3G.

I plan to replace the dock connector because the water sensor is a bit pinkish hoping this solves the problem. BTW: No signs of water damage inside or out.

Any ideas?

Are you kidding me? Are you some kind of computer engineer?

I, too, have recently experienced this from a full discharge, but it took me about 20 minutes to get to 6% before I was able to turn it on and monitor the progress of the charging process... before I fell asleep. I lost whatever I tried to monitor, but I know that it is quite possible that 4.0.1 could be the culprit. It charged fairly quickly on iOS 3.

I'm also using a USB extension cable with my wall outlet adapter, if that makes any difference (longer length=less power gets to the other side).

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^ Yes ... and I do a lot of reading. IE: A very recent MMI post discussed the charger circuit. iPod chargers uses 500ma, but changing the resistor circuit in the later iPhone chargers doubles that.

I'm still on 3.1.2 and using original equipment (charger and cable) and ... the battery has already been replaced. Long charge times remain

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    ^^ Yes ... and I do a lot of reading. IE: A very recent MMI post discussed the charger circuit. iPod chargers uses 500ma, but changing the resistor circuit in the later iPhone chargers doubles that.

I'm still on 3.1.2 and using original equipment (charger and cable) and ... the battery has already been replaced. Long charge times remain
    How many ma is the original 3GS charger? I'm using the 3G one that is rated at 1A, 5v. It still takes a bit of time for it to charge.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrWHOx View Post
    ... rated at 1A, 5v. ...
    That's it. 1amp @ 5V.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    That's it. 1amp @ 5V.
    huh. why is it so slow at recharging? I didn't change the battery, btw. It's the stock one.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How slow is slow?? You're provide no details what-so-ever

Mine charges within a few hours, usually 10% every 20-25 minutes. My usage rate is worse than yours, since I don't have 3G, but the percentage drop from 100 to 92/3 occurs within a 15 minutes as well.

What's up with that? Is there an aftermarket battery for the 3GS that has a higher mAh?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

We have the same phone 3GS and don't/can't use 3G either (T-Mob USA).

I searched and did not find a higher-capacity battery for the 3GS (yes for the 3G). Nothing I would take a chance with . Two weeks ago, I replaced the battery with an original, and today replaced the dock connector. Testing now.

The battery display (showing 100% when plugged) appears to be fixed or better than before. Still testing the rapid 7-8% drop from 100%. It appears to be a bit better as well, taking 25 minutes instead of 15. I'm hoping another calibration discharge cycle will help even more. (Note: during this same period, my 3G is still @ 100% - Ugg).

Total time (never in stand-by) with appx 50% usage in 4-5 hours. I think this is normal. My old 3G was somewhat better.

Note: During the battery replacement, I noticed too much dirt and/or dust inside this supposedly closed unit. This led me to replace the dock connector along with a thorough inside cleaning. Possibly your device needs a yearly check-up as well

I'm going to be swapping my housing within a few weeks so I'll keep a lookout for dust and stuff. I don't know if that'll make a difference though.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Update: Changing the dock connector definitely helped. I ran a always-on test between the old 3G and the 3GS (same iOS, same apps). Almost identical battery usage. However, on the 3GS the battery display (percentage %) is not linear. It still drops from 100 > 92/3 significantly faster than the 3G. But after 6 hours they're the same .

Since this 3GS performs as good as the 3G, I'm done