Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Oh, no. What have I done? (Item broken off motherboard...)

Default Oh, no. What have I done? (Item broken off motherboard...)
    Being a bit too careless, I managed to break off something from the motherboard. The piece came off from just to the left of cable #7 (which seems to be the cellular antenna). There are two items like it, and I broke the top one off.

Everything seems to work ok, though. The phone powers on, makes calls, and surfs via 3G and WiFi. So does anyone know what that part did? Is the phone dangerous now? (Fire, cancer, whatever).

First picture is the broken-off part with a 0.5mm mechanical pencil tip for size comparison. Second picture is looking at the lower right hand corner of the phone and has arrow pointing to where the part came off.

I'm terrible at soldering, so that's not an option.

Thanks for any help...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsc_2809-copy.jpg   -dsc_2813-copy.jpg  

Thanks

no idea wat it is dont think i ever noticed that but i no nothing bad (like cancer or fire) will happen and try edge and then try bluetooth c if it vibrates and check the compass (if its a 3gs) and check the accelerometer u no do some tests on it it looks like u knocked off a resistor
    Last edited by plcrules; 2010-08-11 at 04:11 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You could try every function the phone should be able to do and see what isnt working anymore...

Actually I dont know if this will help but I found this:

http://www.smartphonesoftoday.com/wp...hone_board.jpg

Dont really know which iPhone that is and Im no hardware expert :P

Sorry if its useless but I thought Id at least give it a shot.

That is an inductor. VERY important for RF circuits.

Thanks everyone. I'm sorry I forgot to mention it is a 3GS. I looked at board diagrams for that model and the region by cable 7 wasn't labeled in any of the ones I found.

Based on it being an inductor, I'd bet that I'd experience more dropped calls and other signal problems if I were to test it (edit: as in thoroughly test it).

Looks like I've downgraded myself to an iPod Touch with a camera.
    Last edited by pi314159ish; 2010-08-14 at 02:23 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Have you tested your theory? Im really interested to know, cuz itd be really cool if your phone still functions as normal

There are other problems with the phone, which is why I was messing around inside in the first place. I ended up buying another broken 3GS and swapped parts around. One is fully working, the other has a cracked glass, no proximity sensor or top speaker, missing one inductor from the MB, has a cheap off-brand LCD, and a beat up rear casing--but it seems to work just fine other than that.

On the broken one: Bluetooth, WiFi, cellular, 3G all seem to work fine. Edge works, but seems slower than I remember. The only other thing I've noticed is that I now get 3-5 bars in places where I used to only get 1-2 bars (all on iOS 4.0.0). But there are other places where the signal is the same as before. Haven't had a chance to test call-dropping, and I probably won't have time to do that anyway.