Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I... replaced the back glass on my iphone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default I... replaced the back glass on my iphone 4
    yeah... so I dont suggest anyone do this...

wait for the full replacement.

for informational purposes, this is what I bought (if this is against the forum TOS, please remove the link)

Original iPhone 4 4G back cover housing glass Black - eBay (item 250658438992 end time Jul-29-10 05:00:22 PDT)

bout a week or 2 ago, I got out of my car, unfortunately my phone has a habit of sliding out of my pocket while I drive, and if I dont resecure it when I get out, it can fall out. happened maybe 3 times before with previous iphones, plastic backs, cases, never been an issue. well my iphone 4 is naked and of course, all glass.

anyway, so the aftermath wasnt so bad...

Ill stop here and say, if this happens to you, live with it... I continued to use my phone for another 2 weeks while I waited for a replacement back from ebay(the only source I could find it on). worked fine, didnt get worse, if anything, kinda added some character.

I expected the replacement to just be the 2 screws and swap, no...

I didnt take a picture of the bloody tissue, but some info, the back glass is attached to the plastic casing by some of the strongest double face tape known to man. I had to basicly chip it away with a knife and screwdriver, and sometimes just my fingernails(thats where the blood came in...)

I did get all the little bits off the back, the main lens/bezel can be removed from the glass and put into the new cover, so thats good.

I now have to find some comparable double face tape to resecure the new back cover with, and I think it will work... but this is not something I would reccomend doing, there is no going back once you start. as I pulled the first sliver out, I thought, hmmm this isnt going to be easy...

you may notice a hint of red on the lower right of the back bracket, thats blood...

although the bracket looks fairly beat up, its actually a seamless fit in the replacement glass. still, Ill probably buy a full replacement when they are available.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bauerbach For This Useful Post:

dglasser (2010-07-12), Trooper Sam (2010-08-10), XFaega (2010-07-11), z3r0i7 (2010-09-19)

Wow that sucks you had to do such a repair so early. Those pictures made me cringe. I have heard a lot of people getting replacement back glass that does not include the bracket. I hope there will be a reasonably priced complete replacement in the near future. It would be nice to just swap out the back once it get worn or broken.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    there was nothing visibly special about the casing... I didnt see any antennas or anything else, it did have tape here and there, that I wasnt peeling up. but I dont know why they wouldnt sell the whole back. 12 $ for the glass, I wont be shocked if the whole thing is 50+ though :/

weirdly i broke mine 3hours ago and JUST had replaced at apple for 138

ah well...dads credit card lol

Like A Boss

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yeesh, I thought about calling apple, but didnt even bother expecting the repair bill would be something like that

Well seems like a job but atleast it is do able. Looks good sorry about the finger hopefully more colors and full housing will come out soon

Nice work! You'd think they'd make it easier to switch out the glass alone, but I guess that's why they don't call this a "user serviceable part."

What about the lens over the camera and flash? Did your replacement glass come with them or did you have to use the originals?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

If this happens again in the future and you can't find a good source to buy the parts, regardless of what parts they are, just PM Melech here on the forums, he's got a few good OEM suppliers of parts and could help you out or at least steer you in the right direction.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

dglasser (2010-07-11)

Thanks

Well, I replaced a glass, was easy actually , got me a nice ole heat gun, heated the glass and came off like butter

I gave you a thanks. This will help as allot of my customers seem to have butter fingers. I do the front Digitizer replacement every other month on the 3G(S). So sad. Now allot of them have upgrade to the i4. Looks like I'll be stocking up on i4 parts. Easy money but I feel like I'm baby setting them. Thanks again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I thought about the heat gun, I imagine that would have helped alot. didnt have one handy to use.

the flash "lens" is built in, its just an untinted/painted circle it seems, so that was build in, the camera lens and metal bezel on the other hand, did swap over. it wasnt secured in any way really, little bit of adhesive. very easy to remove from the old glass just by cracking the housing around it.

I actually found a replacement for the whole back bezel today, just coincidence. as it turns out, at about $160, Ill be sticking with this fix!

Thanks

Nice job, I would have done a white glass back instead.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Dude i wanna buy your glass piece that has apple logo on it PM me if u still have it and didnt threw it out

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dude a cherry red backplate would be da best ... You think they make em?

any updates? i am gonna rent a heat gun if a hair dryer doesn't work.

by the way, did the screwdriver that came with the back glass work for you? did nothing for me...

A hairdryer will work fine just heat it up for about 10 min around the edges and slowly work the edges apart then another ten min for the middle and if it gets stuck at a part just keep getting it hot and slowly work it apart replaced my back with a white one and threw a black decal wrap from luckylabs around the sides... Man does she look beautiful lol
    Last edited by juggamonkey; 2010-07-22 at 08:30 AM.

do you think soaking it in water would work?

possibly boiling it?

Strong as sapphire my arse. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

That looks painful

Quote Originally Posted by tag8402 View Post
    do you think soaking it in water would work?

possibly boiling it?

I think it would warp the frame if you boiled it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast