Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3Gs Connector 3 Idea

Default iPhone 3Gs Connector 3 Idea
    Aite, so I was doing a iPhone LCD repair, and I was trying to put in connector 3 and it was just giving me a hard time, so I try to push in the locking mechanism and next thing u know that part breaks. So I have a replacement connector 3 coming in the mail to take off the locking mechanism but the thing is how to put it back on? And I was wondering would soldering the ribbon to the connector work? Thanks

There is actually no locking mechanism for Ribbon 3. At least not that I noticed. The part just slides back in. And yes, it can be tricky at first. What I had success in doing was using some good, small tweezers to grip the ribbon and push it in. People make it a little more difficult than it should be.

soldering the ribbon to the connector would be an awful idea.

I'm having the same problem myself. With mine, the only thing that is wrong is one of the pins is bent, so my proximity sensor doesnt work now.

It seems like the only thing to do is buy the connector, desolder the old one, solder the new one back on. I'm simplifying this process, and yes, it appears to be quite difficult. There are people that will do it for $50.

Personally, I'm gonna try it myself, or figure out how to bend my pin back.

And yes, there is a locking mechanism.

Then it seems that people are having more difficulty when trying to unlock/lock the mechanism and it's breaking off. I too tried to open it slightly with a small, flat head and it didn't budge. At that point I decided to not try any harder in fear it might damage it. I was able to easily pull it out/push it back in without messing with the locking mechanism.

A hint is to have the ear piece end of the glass tilted so as it's touching the bezel. As if you were about to snap it back together, with the microphone end in the air. Now, with good/small tweazers, grab the black portion of the ribbon, near the pins, and simply slide it into the locking mechanism, pushing firmly but carefully. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by scootter82; 2010-06-29 at 07:30 PM.

I wouldnt do that.

The locking mechanism is there for a reason. If you dont use it, you run the risk of messing stuff up. I use the plastic case-opening tools to pop it up.

However, if the lock is taken off, you will still be fine. Just make sure the cable is in there correctly and that the #2 cable is pushing the #3 back out. Once you close it back up, it shouldnt come out.

As opposed to soldering the cable to the connector, you could use a dab of super glue. I wouldnt recommend this and would strongly advise against it: if you get glue on the connections, both the cable and connector are fubar and need to be replaced, as opposed to just the connector.

If soldering is a bad idea then what other means of locking could i use? And how would I go about putting in the new clip taken off a new connector "3."

You said you wanted to solder the ribbon to the connector. THAT is a bad idea. It would be nearly impossible. The ribbon has 12 connections and is only 2-3mm wide. There is NO way you could solder the ribbon to the connector without messing up the whole thing. The ribbon slips inside the connector. Thats it. Thats all you want it to do.

So, lets start over.
    iPhone 3G FPC Connector Ribbon Cable 3 EARPIECE SENSOR - eBay (item 320528529132 end time Jul-06-10 07:50:07 PDT)
    This is what it looks like up close.
    If you already broke the locking latch off the old one, you know how sensitive it is. You probably arent going to have to tools and precision to take the latch off a new connector assembly and put it back on the old one. But if you do, good for you.

In a normal FPC repair, you unsolder the whole connector from the mobo, take it off, and put the new connector back on and solder it down. the 12 barbs (6x each side) are what get soldered into the logic board. This is difficult. Especially if you dont know EXACTLY what you are doing.

If you want to try and just replace the latch, go for it. I dont think it will work. But, IF YOU DO, you would be just snapping it out of one and snapping it in the other. No soldering involved. Its just plastic. Soldering is melting soft metal, and putting it on two other pieces of metal to create a connection. No plastic involved.

I cant say for sure, but my research leads me to believe that this connector is very fragile and, once broken, needs to be COMPLETELY replaced.

But I stand by my previous statement. You havent said anything about if it works as is or not. Put it all back together the best you can, turn it on, see if it works. If some of the features DONT work, you WILL have to COMPLETELY replace the connector on the logic board.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krazy's Avatar
    Thanks

only fix is to desolder and resolder a new one. if you have the equipment and a microscope, you can possibly do it, but after doing so many, I dont recommend it because more damage can occur. If you buy the connector, you're going to find out its a lot smaller than it looks. I have pictures of my set up in my blog.
    How to fix #3 CONNECTORS:
    http://hectordtruong.blogspot.com/

How much would you charge Hector? If the connector was included?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whorichard View Post
    How much would you charge Hector? If the connector was included?
    Please PM or email me.

I've looked at mouser.com to try to find connectors, but haven't found anything yet. Where would be a good place to get these in bulk? $7 is way too much for ONE.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lol. i wouldnt do this @@> bad idea bro

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Only way is replace fpc connector
    Only way is just replace fpc connector. You can find them on ebay.
    Iphone 3G 3GS fpc connector 3
    You need microscope and good soldering tool. Also you may need infrared station (it doesn't melt any plastics), patience.
    Last thing is luckyhand.
    That's it.
    no signature spam or links please.

Thanks Hector!

Replacing that #3 cable connector was fast and it works great!

Anyone that breaks the little lever dealing with the #3 cable has to send their phone to Hector. Very reasonable and super fast!

THANKS!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to billinaz For This Useful Post:

krazy (2010-09-06)

Thanks

Thanks Bill!