Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Fixing broken iphone glass....diy

iPhone? More like MyPhone AKA_Ben's Avatar
    Thanks

Yikes - probably something I wouldn't try to do for my friends then! :P

Prolly not.

The digitizer is about equivalent to a saltine cracker in strength....any prying on the glass could easily break it or damage the LCD.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 724 Posts

I'd like to find every single person selling these SCAM glass faces and nut punch each one untill they saw my side of them taking them off eBay

^^I'd like to watch.....

Thanks

You'd have to if you're holding the video camera

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    You'd have to if you're holding the video camera
    Hahaha, teamwork at its best.

so let me see if i got this correct. all the broken glass and goo needs to be taken off before applying the new glass. but, if new goo is not applied on the LCD and new glass (touch screen area), the touch screen will not be as responsive as before?

so.. shouldn't we put some type of new goo on the LCD and glass? what can we use?

one more thing.. so looks like the 2G phones have some type of glue between the LCD and the glass screen, but the 3G phones dont. take a look at this picture.

Last edited by daytonaviolet; 2009-02-03 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottvalentine's Avatar
    Thanks

Just to let people know, the iPhones were redesigned when the 3G came out to be much more serviceable. You dont have to do any prying to remove the LCD, 2 screws on the bottom, suction cup (slowly) there are 3 ribbon cables that pop off, the like 6-8 #0 phillips screws holding the LCD to the glass/digitizer. I would recommend buying the Glass/Digitizer for a 100x easier fix. Although im sure you save a few bucks scraping off the glass, you risk damaging the LCD if you put too much pressure on it.
    There are No stupid questions, Only stupid people

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottvalentine's Avatar
    Thanks

You can literally take this apart in 5 minutes with no damage to your iphone, (warranty voided of course)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -s6300690.jpg  
    There are No stupid questions, Only stupid people

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Does the new glass come with goo of its own?

i was gonna say the same thing.

i call bu!!sh!t

that "goo" is the digitizer that determines your finger position.

notice there are no pics of him using it after repair.

and the crack happened in the new one because the "goo" was not there and it left a cavity behind the glass.

this guy is probly just tryin to send people to this post to convince them to buy his broken phone.

cus its sooooo easy.

yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by scottvalentine View Post
    You can literally take this apart in 5 minutes with no damage to your iphone, (warranty voided of course)
    ummmm, thats the 3G

not the first gen. which is the one we are talking about.

also, you have to take the phone apart to do that to the 3G and the 1st gen. however the 1st gen is all one piece.

i too was cheap and hardheaded and tried this not once but twice.

for the last time guys,
    YOU CANNOT REPAIR CRACKED GLASS ON A 1ST GEN

replacement glass/digitizer/lcd is going for 160 at best.

if you can get the phone for $50 and get it apart and back together with the new lcd for $160 without breaking anything else, (very hard to do) you got yourself a nice 1st gen for around $200
    Last edited by tattoojack; 2009-02-07 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

^Correcto.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

tattoojack (2009-02-08)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^Correcto.

finally someone agrees with me

thanks given
    lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    i was gonna say the same thing.

i call bu!!sh!t

that "goo" is the digitizer that determines your finger position.

notice there are no pics of him using it after repair.

and the crack happened in the new one because the "goo" was not there and it left a cavity behind the glass.

this guy is probly just tryin to send people to this post to convince them to buy his broken phone.

cus its sooooo easy.

yeah right.

[/B][/COLOR]
    I guess i could have worded the diy a bit better but i was a noob to iphones in general. I wrote it to hopefully help someone that was in the same predicament that i was in and i wasnt trying to sell it, u can check my posts. I never said it was easy, but its mostly tedious but it CAN be done with minimal skills and a bit of luck. Im sure your capable of searching the internet but if you search you will find that I am not the only person whom has done this and there are dozens of videos and instructions on how to do this. But im sure that all of those ppl are bull**itters too right?? LOL, you ppl crack me up.

I WAS able to locate the glue here just as many others have and i ordered a new glass and was able to to get the phone working as it was before i dropped it. I now have a 3g iphone but would happily fix another iphone and provide better documentation......hell ill even go half in on the price of the broken iphone and you can meet up with me to give me the phone in person since ur only an hour away

ALSO HERE:
    [ame=http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=457888]Broken iPhone Glass? Touch Screen Still Functional? Read this. - Mac Forums[/ame]
    Last edited by hondakorn; 2009-02-09 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Same username on: hondatech, 7thgenhonda, clubrsx, orlandoforums, civicforums

Is it easier to replace the whole screen assembly?

Exclamation PLEASE respond with any tips or ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Ben View Post
    I thought this and similar methods were supposed to be impossible because you'd harm the digitizer by prying the glass out?
    ECHO THAT! smart man, that's EXACTLY what happened to me when i was trying to fix the screen. to whomever this may concern: be very carfull when trying to perform that step! as i tried to pry it open the lcd bended right where i was trying to pry. i tried to finish the repair despite my huge mistake, but it didn't work for me. when i was done i tried to reboot but all i got was a white screen and of course black spots where i bended it. i'm hoping that the actual phone is ok and that it simply can't communicate with me because of the screen. i just got my new lcd in the mail (literally an hr ago) and i just put that one in. im almost half way through a reboot & i still have the white screen, but from what i've read, many people have had success with the reboot solution for the white screen. i don't see why it shouldn't work since its a new screen and lcd and i followed a good diy video on youtube verbatim.

if ANYONE has any info to share please do. i just can't deal with this damn 12 year old nokia im using...yeah its bad it doesn't even have color on it. seriously, it's friggin painful to go from a 3g to that. please help, please

* also, if this helps: after i tried to fix it the first time the phone would still ring, even when i had separated in half, but it didn't do that this time when i tried to call it (but of course i haven't completed a reboot yet). don't know if this helps any. also...its a 3g 16gb unjailbroken/locked. forgot the firmware, but its somewhere b/t 2.0 & 2.1 i believe. thanks again
    *i'll write an update when the reboot finishes
    Last edited by 100chris; 2009-04-01 at 12:08 AM. Reason: forgot to mention info
    hit thanks!

^The phone operating has nothing to do with the screen, also....since the screen assembly and basically the entire rest of the phone are separate (the screen assembly comes off the rest of the phone, first and only) then it would be impossible to mess the phone up unless you removed the screen the wrong way.

If you wanna see one coming apart to see if it looks like what you did.....click my "red" sig link.

Thanks

There is only one person that has supposedly replaced his glass and it worked "perfectly", and that is our OP. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt even though I'm screaming bull%^& deep inside. Regardless that's not the point....

For the REST of you that are even remotely considering this..... you don't have a snowballs chance in hell of pulling it off. Remember those words when you buy that worthless glass off ebay and destroy what's left of your phone.

^Wait, dont buy one off ebay, I have several lying around that came with other stuff I ordered, I'll send you one free if you take detailed pics of how it went

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

one1 (2009-04-01)

Thanks

You say such witty things, I should THANK you every now and then. Whoops, just did.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

cpjr (2009-04-01)

And I thank you for noticing

24. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

one1 (2009-04-01)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast