Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Downgrading virgin 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 to unlock for foreign country use

Default Downgrading virgin 1.1.1 to 1.0.2 to unlock for foreign country use
    I live in Costa Rica and am using an unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone on the local carrier with no problem. A friend here wants an iPhone, which a mutual friend will bring from the U.S.

My question is hopefully simple. If the new iPhone our mutual friend buys in the U.S. comes with 1.1.1 installed, is there an easy way for me to downgrade to 1.0.2? Can this just be done in iTunes with the restore function?

If this is easily done, can I then activate and unlock the way I did with my iPhone several weeks ago with the MMI guide? Thanks for any help.

Thanks

There is a way to downgrade to unlock it, but do not try to upgrade after that. The link is:
    http://modmyi.com/wiki/index.php/Dow...1_to_1.0.2_OSX

Thanks button means a lot Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DoerrFan For This Useful Post:

smcr (2007-10-14)

I followed the instruactions on the front page regarding unlocking a 1.1.1 phone. And it was an OOTB phone meaning "out of the box" phone (bought from a retailer as 1.1.1). And I can say that the instructions almost perfect. There was 1 or 2 hangups that you may expect (like closing an APP) that are not in the instructions but other than that. They worked GREAT! I unlocked an iphone for use in Canada for my friend. I H O P E we get a jailbreak for 1.1.1 so I can get installer.app ... it's truly amazing! Now I am jealous of my Canadian friend

I too have a 1.1.1 OOTB iphone.
    socal77 - which front page instructions are you referring to? the link given above by Doerrfan?

I am out of US with the phone and donot have a valid ATT sim - will i be able to unlock it to be able to use with any GSM provider?

Thanks a ton,
    Chandu