Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Noob seeking simple guidance - How to find latest signed firmwares??

Question Noob seeking simple guidance - How to find latest signed firmwares??
    Hi, through variety of trades and gifts, i've come into owning couple of older iPhones and would like to update the firmwares and then re-jailbreak/unlock. can someone plz direct me to correct page or whatever to figure out ... how do i find the latest Apple signed firmwares that can be used to jailbreak older i-devices??

As a step 1. try here: ipsw.me

okay, so that is a source for the IPSW files, but that doesn't tell me which is best or highest firmware for particular phones. Other words, which ones are still being signed?

O yes, it does say exactly that. Have a closer look

Ok, i see what happened. You assumed i could see the flash options or whatever they are, but i couldn't see them in my browser. when i tried on a phone, then i can see the options to choose which phone, etc.

but i'm still confused about something. I checked versions for a few different phones. For example, that site shows IOS 9.3.5 still being "signed" but that was as of 8/25/2016 so is there some way i can independently verify on Modmyi.com or another site?? I don't want to begin update, jailbreak, unlock a phone and then brick it because this old IPSW isn't really still signed anymore.
    Last edited by babyhelena; 2017-07-12 at 08:47 PM.

Different phones, different latest signed firmware, hardware dependent, isn't it obvious

Your comment makes no sense. OF COURSE, different phones will have different signed versions. I'm not suggesting that all versions of phones will use the same firmware, lol. That's not what i asked.

"For example, that site shows IOS 9.3.5 still being 'signed' but ... that was as of 8/25/2016!!! That's 11 months ago!!! ...

so is there some way i can independently verify on Modmyi.com or another site WHICH firmwares are still being signed for each type/version of iPhone??

I don't want to begin update, jailbreak, unlock a phone and then brick it because this old IPSW isn't really still signed anymore.

Do you understand the dilemma? I'd think 11 months ago is outdated info. Is firmware 9.3.5 still being signed by Apple right now, today? Is it still safe to use 9.3.5 to update, rejailbreak, reunlock an older phone?? I don't want to update firmware and then be stuck with a phone i either can't jailbreak or, worse, will brick it.

Also, even if it's still being signed, i'm not clear on which method or software is the best to update, jailbreak, and/or unlock the phones now.

And my I ask why is this date bothering you???
    That is the date when IOS 9.3.5 was released. Period. And IOS 9.3.5 is still being signed for all iPhones 4S. That is the last and only IOS iPhone 4S can be restored to.
    The last IOS for iPhone 4 is 7.1.2 and it has been released on 06/30/2014, and guess what, it's still being signed.
    And on ipsw.me, one of the most reliable sites constantly updated, there is a nice green color on each IOS that is still being signed, so where is your dilemma
    BTW, I have to disappoint you there, 9.3.5 can't be jailbroaken.

But wait, you have mentioned unlocking....may I ask, unlocking from the carrier or something else?
    Last edited by bbrks; 2017-07-13 at 04:26 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

babyhelena (2017-07-13)

No offense, but you're missing the forest for the trees. It's not that the date bothers me, but I read that entire paragraph about 9.3.5 still being signed before you decided to mention "... 9.3.5 can't be jailbroaken". Doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the IOS still being signed??? If that software can't be jailbroken, then what difference or use would it be to have it still being signed?

If I need to string together a list of requirements then, "How can I find out the highest firmware versions which are still being signed by Apple AND I can obtain, install, jailbreak, and/or unlock different older iPhones using those versions of IOS??" What part of the total equation is not being covered by this question? Doesn't that cover all the bases??

I was under the impression that whichever IOS you choose still has to be signed by Apple in order to use that software to update/re-jailbreak iPhones.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyhelena For This Useful Post:

Xapi (2017-07-16)

You don't get it, do you
    There is nothing you can do. 9.3.5 is there for the people who still have iPhone 4S. If they mess up the system, they can always restore it to the highest possible IOS for 4S and that is 9.3.5. So to be able to restore, 9.3.5 needs to be signed bu Apple. Simple, isn't it. And you ask what is the purpose of it As if jailbreak was released by Apple.....hilarious

Thanks
    Thanked 12,535 Times in 7,594 Posts

As bbrks told you, 9.3.5 can't be jailbroken and there is no software unlock to use for another carrier.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

Xapi (2017-07-16)

YOU are the one who doesn't seem to "get it", lol. If someone asks you "What is the most recent firmware that is still being signed for purpose of jailbreaking/unlocking", you can't just answer "part" of the question and think you satisfied the response, lol. You can't just say "Version x.x.x is still being signed" but somehow ignore the part about wanting to jailbreak/unlock. If 9.3.5 can't be jailbroken, then it falls to you to explain how/why you think you properly answered a two part question with only one part answer.

What's worse ... you are under some impression that Apple releases the jailbreaks, lol?!? OMG, obviously that is not "Apple approved activity", but one has nothing to do with the other. To jailbreak/unlock an iPhone, it's a multi-step process of different requirements which ALL have to be met:
    1. Firmware has to be available AND still signed by Apple.
    2. Firmware has have potential to be jailbroken/unlocked.
    3. Valid software method has to be available for the work.

You can't just pick pepper out of gnat "stuff" and think you answered someone's question. ALL parts of a question must be considered and answered. Again, what is the purpose of telling me a firmware is still being signed when you already know my intention was to jailbreak/unlock some phones? Simple, isn't it??

So, again, "How can I find out the highest firmware versions (which are still being signed by Apple) AND it's fully possible, viable, and capable to obtain, install, jailbreak, and/or unlock different older iPhones using those same versions of IOS which are also still being signed??" I have no idea how I can make that any more clear, but thank you for the attempts at insulting the person asking because you didn't answer correctly.

Maybe what i need is for actual experts to weigh in, instead of forum "moderators" who serve to moderate discussion rather than participate in the quality of that discussion.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,640 Times in 8,023 Posts

How about we start with this and go from there:
    1: Which device(s) are you trying to do this on?
    2: What firmware are they currently on.

Answer those two questions and I can let you know your options.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

babyhelena (2017-07-13)

Hahahahahahah, thanks for the last post of yours. I was definitely enjoining it....hahahahaha
    OK, so you need a simple answer. Good....here it is.
    What you want is the mission impossible. Sorry, just forget it. It can't be done. Period.
    If you want to educate yourself regarding jailbreak, what is possible and what is not possible, check out GOOGLE. Ask all the questions you would like to ask. Eventually you will get your answers. But as I already told you, sorry.....mission impossible

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

Xapi (2017-07-16)

Google, huh? The last resort for those among us unwilling to simply admit they "don't know", lol. You come across as a mean-spirited teenager, so desperate to prove to the world how "smart" and "strong" you are and not realizing you just don't have enough life experience to know that you don't know yet. Thank you anyway, but your response is neither productive nor respectful. BTW, "Google" is not "perfect", not the only search engine out there, and definitely not the end-all, be-all of information. If you don't have knowledge inside your head ... you just don't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    How about we start with this and go from there:
    1: Which device(s) are you trying to do this on?
    2: What firmware are they currently on.

Answer those two questions and I can let you know your options.
    Thank you very much for a mature and precise, scientific approach and reaching out, Simon.

Three devices all previously jailbroken/unlocked (but currently unable to update without losing jailbreaks, Cydia apps, etc.):

a. iPhone 3GS running IOS 5.1.1 (also needs new battery bad, might trade in)
    b. iPhone 4S running IOS 6.1.3 (great battery life and cleanest, high GB capacity)
    c. iPhone 6 running IOS 9.3 (cracked screen, might trade in 3GS to fix that)

Please let me know if you need more info.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to babyhelena For This Useful Post:

Xapi (2017-07-16)

Thanks

The dates on ipsw.me are referring to the release date, not the last time they checked if it was signed. It is the most up-to-date source outside of iTunes itself. If it's an old iPhone that isn't receiving updates anymore then the latest firmware it got will always be signed. If it is an iPhone that is still receiving updates (10.x) then there is no currently signed jailbreakable firmware.

Thanks

Default Noob seeking simple guidance - How to find latest signed firmwares??
    iPhone 3GS latest signed, jailbreakable firmware: 6.1.6
    iPhone 4: 7.1.2
    All newer iPhones: none

iPhone 3G: 4.2.1
    iPhone 2G: 3.1.3
    Last edited by Zokunei; 2017-07-13 at 10:52 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2017-07-14)

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    The dates on ipsw.me are referring to the release date, not the last time they checked if it was signed. It is the most up-to-date source outside of iTunes itself. If it's an old iPhone that isn't receiving updates anymore then the latest firmware it got will always be signed. If it is an iPhone that is still receiving updates (10.x) then there is no currently signed jailbreakable firmware.
    1. Okay, sounds like some very important information was left out then on prior comments. Release date obviously is not indicating if they're still signed then.
    2. They are old iPhones that are not receiving updates at this time. Yes, they "can" receive updates, but that would ruin the jailbreaks/unlocks, so they'd basically become generic Apple store phones with no Cydia apps, etc.
    3. The objective is to update each phone (to its respective "best" new firmware) but still be able to jailbreak/unlock.
    4. The original posed questions was/is "How to determine highest, best, or newest firmware that can be used to update these phones AND still be able to jailbreak/unlock again using the currently available software or methods?"

Thanks for clarifying that IPSW.me information before someone made a mistake and thought the IOS were all still signed. It looks like you have more complete information!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to babyhelena For This Useful Post:

Xapi (2017-07-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast