Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Haven't Updated Since 7.0.4, Help Please!

Question Haven't Updated Since 7.0.4, Help Please!
    iPhone 5 16gb
    v7.0.4
    AT&T

Bare with me all, as i have not been updated on the latest JB news. So I see that the newest version available is 8.1.3 on itunes. Am I able to untether jailbreak to 8.1.3 or is the latest 8.1?

Thanks in advance!

Livin' the SPIDEY Life SpiderManAPV's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yakabod View Post
    iPhone 5 16gb
    v7.0.4
    AT&T

Bare with me all, as i have not been updated on the latest JB news. So I see that the newest version available is 8.1.3 on itunes. Am I able to untether jailbreak to 8.1.3 or is the latest 8.1?

Thanks in advance!
    8.1.3 is not jailbreak-able. BUT Apple is still signing 8.1.2, which can be jailbroken.

......beware......
    Just your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiderManAPV For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-02-10)

Quote Originally Posted by SpidermanAPV View Post
    8.1.3 is not jailbreak-able. BUT Apple is still signing 8.1.2, which can be jailbroken.
    Thanks for the response. Am I able to download 8.1.2 manually and load it up with itunes?

Thanks

Thanks for the response. Am I able to download 8.1.2 manually and load it up with itunes?
    As of this moment (0521 GMT 3FEB2015), yes. Download the IPSW here, then chick Restore while holding down Shift (for Windows) or Option (for OS X). For best results, put your phone into DFU mode before restoring, and set up your iPhone as a new device. Once restored, jailbreak with TaiG or 25PP (Windows and Mac tools, respectively).
    Last edited by Orby; 2015-02-03 at 06:46 AM. Reason: orby can't type the date

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-02-10), yakabod (2015-02-09)

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    As of this moment (0521 GMT 3FEB2015), yes. Download the IPSW here, then chick Restore while holding down Shift (for Windows) or Option (for OS X). For best results, put your phone into DFU mode before restoring, and set up your iPhone as a new device. Once restored, jailbreak with TaiG or 25PP (Windows and Mac tools, respectively).

So I finally got the chance to do this. After loading the ipsw, it gave me an error message: "This device isn't eligible for the requested build". Why is this happening?

I downgraded itunes from 12.1 to 12.0.1, if that makes a difference. Also, I downloaded PP for my Mac.

Thanks

Do you don't have any entries in your hosts file (it's at /etc/hosts on OS X, use Finder's "Go" command or Terminal to get there) for "gs.apple.com"? If so, remove them.

If you don't have anything in your hosts file for gs.apple.com, things get more exciting. I just checked, 8.1.2 is still being signed for all devices, so that "isn't eligible" error is... unusual.

The other thing that immediately comes to mind is the iTunes 12.1, but you said you downgraded it back to 12.0.1... and I'm under the impression that the 12.1 is only an issue for devices already on 8.1.3.

Out of good ideas for this one, I guess.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

vXBaKeRXv (2015-02-10)

So I finally got the chance to do this. After loading the ipsw, it gave me an error message: "This device isn't eligible for the requested build". Why is this happening?

I downgraded itunes from 12.1 to 12.0.1, if that makes a difference. Also, I downloaded PP for my Mac.
    Are you sure, that you have downloaded the right IPSW? You are on AT&T, so it should be GSM model, I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Are you sure, that you have downloaded the right IPSW? You are on AT&T, so it should be GSM model, I guess.
    Sadly, all moot now. 8.1.2 is no longer signed.

Very sorry about that, yakabod.

Sadly, all moot now. 8.1.2 is no longer signed.

Very sorry about that, yakabod.
    That's a bummer. Thanks for that update. Will I be able to jump to an older version? Or was 8.1.2 my only choice?

Right now, either you stay on 8.1.2 or update to 8.1.3, that's all you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    Right now, either you stay on 8.1.2 or update to 8.1.3, that's all you can do.
    Right now, i'm still on 7.0.4.

Do you don't have any entries in your hosts file (it's at /etc/hosts on OS X, use Finder's "Go" command or Terminal to get there) for "gs.apple.com"? If so, remove them.

If you don't have anything in your hosts file for gs.apple.com, things get more exciting. I just checked, 8.1.2 is still being signed for all devices, so that "isn't eligible" error is... unusual.

The other thing that immediately comes to mind is the iTunes 12.1, but you said you downgraded it back to 12.0.1... and I'm under the impression that the 12.1 is only an issue for devices already on 8.1.3.

Out of good ideas for this one, I guess.

The host file does have gs.apple.com. But it will not let me edit.

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    It says, "You dont have permission to write to the folder that the file "hosts" is in. You can duplicate this document and edit the duplicate. Only the duplicate will include your changes."

ups sorry, than just change 8.1.2 to 7.0.4 and the rest of my statement remains the same

Thanks

The host file does have gs.apple.com. But it will not let me edit.

It says, "You dont have permission to write to the folder that the file "hosts" is in. You can duplicate this document and edit the duplicate. Only the duplicate will include your changes."
    Wow, I can't English. D:

Open Terminal (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app) and type the following command.
    Code:
    $ sudo nano /etc/hosts
    You'll be asked for your password. The command will only work if your account is an administrator on your computer. Edit out the gs.apple.com entries, then hit Control (not Command, colloquially the "Apple key") + O to save your changes and Control + X to exit the file.

Again, all moot at this point. Don't go to 8.1.3 if you want to be jailbroken.