Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS on 5.1.1, downgraded from iPad bb & unlocked NEEDS to go 6.1.6, JB & Unlock. HELP!

Default 3GS on 5.1.1, downgraded from iPad bb & unlocked NEEDS to go 6.1.6, JB & Unlock. HELP!
    Hi Guys,

the Wife doesn't want to change her old bootrom 3GS to a more recent device, so due to the random loss of ALL the contacts (still preserved in the icloud though) I need to perform an upgrade on her device from JB & Ultrasn0w-ed 5.1.1 (already downgraded from the iPad BB, so it's on 05.13.04) to the 6.1.6, and still desperately need the unlock, and of course I need to restore at least the contacts.

Could somebody please talk me through this one? How do I do this? To preserve the unlockable baseband (or is the way to go to do the update to apple-6.1.6, then flash the iPad BB, and then downgrade it?), which tool should I use to JB then, how to upgrade, how to reput the contacts from the iCloud, etc...

I can use W7 x64, and the latest iTunes available.

Thank U very much guys, I'd really appreciate it!
    Last edited by kecskesadam; 2014-12-18 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks

Easiest way may be to restore to 6.1.6, do the redsn0w baseband upgrade then downgrade, then use [url=https://mega.co.nz/#!Rp12yZrK!EhZjmllrpQ4JDC7VvHbcUEautLNBSSFUgBzKFzB 20js] P0sixspwn to jailbreak the device. Install ultrasn0w after that. However, I am not sure that ultrasn0w has been updated for iOS 6.1.6, be forewarned.

Obtaining your contacts from iCloud should be easy: after you've jailbroken the device, go to Settings -> iCloud and input your iCloud account email and password. Once the credentials are validated, just make sure the "Contacts" option is enabled, and all the contacts stored within that iCloud account should appear on your device shortly.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2014-12-19 at 02:11 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

kecskesadam (2014-12-19)

Thank you for the answer!

So there's no other way but to flash the iPad BB and then downgrade it, right?

From what I've learned so far, ultrasn0w works on 6.1.6 & iPad BB. I've found a video showing this. If so, then it should work on the downgraded BB also I guess.

Another question: does it make any difference to do the JB with redsn0w or p0sixpwn? Are there statisics which one is more relyable/less buggy?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kecskesadam View Post
    Thank you for the answer!

So there's no other way but to flash the iPad BB and then downgrade it, right?

From what I've learned so far, ultrasn0w works on 6.1.6 & iPad BB. I've found a video showing this. If so, then it should work on the downgraded BB also I guess.

Another question: does it make any difference to do the JB with redsn0w or p0sixpwn? Are there statisics which one is more relyable/less buggy?
    There aren't any alternative ways as far as I am aware. I don't believe there are any custom firmware tools for iOS 6.1.6, and then there would be the whole iTunes restore headache.

As to the redsn0w versus p0sixspwn question, that one does make a difference: the p0sixspwn jailbreak is untethered for all 3GS devices. Redsn0w is tethered for the vast majority of 3GS devices. Untethered jailbreaks are superior due to the fact the phone can be booted up without an intervening computer, so it's not an issue if you power down your phone or you lose all battery charge. Your phone will boot up and "just work" like normal with an untethered jailbreak.\

EDIT: Just to be clear, this is exclusively for the jailbreaking part of the process. The baseband upgrade then the following downgrade process must be done with redsn0w.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

kecskesadam (2014-12-20)

Thank you!

Yeah yeah, I get the whole process (I've done JB since iOS 3.1.2 ), it's just that I started to forget things precisely, and I did not follow the JB-world since iOS 6.1.2

Luckily the 3GS is an old bootrom, we never had to pay too much attention to the untetheredness of the JB.

So I upgrade via iTunes to the latest available, then I set up the iphone as new, right?

But then sould I do the ipad flash and downgrade first (using redsn0w. by the way, which one of it? the latest?), or the JB with p0sixpwn? Or does it matter at all?

Thanks

Thank you!

Yeah yeah, I get the whole process (I've done JB since iOS 3.1.2 ), it's just that I started to forget things precisely, and I did not follow the JB-world since iOS 6.1.2

Luckily the 3GS is an old bootrom, we never had to pay too much attention to the untetheredness of the JB.

So I upgrade via iTunes to the latest available, then I set up the iphone as new, right?

But then sould I do the ipad flash and downgrade first (using redsn0w. by the way, which one of it? the latest?), or the JB with p0sixpwn? Or does it matter at all?
    Here's the best order:

DFU restore in iTunes -> Set up as new phone -> Activate the phone through iTunes -> Setup on phone, get to Springboard -> use Redsn0w 0.9.15b3 (most current at two years old) for the baseband upgrade then downgrade -> run P0sixspwn -> Install ultrasn0w.

Bonne chance!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

kecskesadam (2014-12-21)

Merci bien!! U R just Orbytal!! Thanks!

I'm through up to flash the ipad bb, but then I got stucked when beginning the bb downgrade. This poor old 3gs is now on 06.15/6.1.6, with no cydia installed (I accidently unchecked it in redsn0w...), so I pretty much rely on the further go. At the moment I can't go further, all my attempts to install Cydia in redsn0w, or flash the downgraded bb fail: redsn0w errors and quits. Tomorrow I switch computers, and give it another go.

Thanks

I'm through up to flash the ipad bb, but then I got stucked when beginning the bb downgrade. This poor old 3gs is now on 06.15/6.1.6, with no cydia installed (I accidently unchecked it in redsn0w...), so I pretty much rely on the further go. At the moment I can't go further, all my attempts to install Cydia in redsn0w, or flash the downgraded bb fail: redsn0w errors and quits. Tomorrow I switch computers, and give it another go.
    There's the bit: don't use redsn0w to install Cydia. That's where p0sixspwn comes in. You might have to select a 6.0.1 IPSW for redsn0w to work properly. Extras -> Select IPSW -> point to a 6.0.1 IPSW (grab here).

What's more troubling is the downgrade erroring out. Try a different machine as well as the clean reboot and double-downgrade methods. If push comes to shove, you'll be able to use that 06.15.00 baseband with ultrasn0w but you may lose GPS location services.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

kecskesadam (2014-12-22)

Well, the job is done! Yaay! But it was a bit interesting.

I couldn't use 6.0.1 in redsn0w, it gave an error. Then with pointing to 6.0 it ran flawlessly, downgraded the bb easy-peasy. Then I tried to run p0sixpwn which didn't want to do anything, the message was: "this device appears to be already jailbroken" and the Jailbreak button kept beeing grey. Ok then... Then I reran redsn0w to install cydia, installed the ultrasn0w, and voila, job done! (confirmation: ultrasn0w does work on 6.1.6!)

The only thing I still don't get is how not to jailbreak the damned thing whilst running the redsn0w on it Apparently this is an unevitable, but that was exatly the complaint of p0sixpwn.... :S Or should I've had run the p0six stuff before the ipad bb flash?...

Anyway, let's hope it'll be a lightweight JB, and that it'll work properly performance-wise as well. I just can't really imagine the suffering of the poor old 1 core 600MHz arm chip... (my only concern is the Sbsettings. I use it all the time, and I don't know anything to replace it. But it drags the bum of that chip on the floor really hard...).

Anyway, big thanks for your really kind help, and I wish you also happy ho-ho-holidays! (xmas or whatever you feel like )
    Last edited by kecskesadam; 2014-12-22 at 03:19 PM.

Huge bummer:

I have 10% battery drain per hour!.... Even without any simcard in it, and the device is locked...

for more info: the activation is passed with an original carrier simcard, no hacktivation was made
    Last edited by kecskesadam; 2014-12-22 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

Huge bummer:

I have 10% battery drain per hour!.... Even without any simcard in it, and the device is locked...

for more info: the activation is passed with an original carrier simcard, no hacktivation was made
    You can try redsn0w's De-Activation and reactivate it with your SIM again, but otherwise I'm at a loss. Battery drain is one of those symptoms that could be from just about anything... considering your device probably just had its fifth birthday, you might also want to consider a battery replacement.

So you installed Cydia via redsn0w? With an old-bootrom device, that should be perfectly acceptable... you don't really need p0sixspwn after all.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

kecskesadam (2014-12-23)

I uninstalled the sbsettings, and the drain was only 9% for the last 13 hours alltogether..... So it's definitely the sbsettings that drained my juice. Now I just have to find a solution to replace it.

This battery is the 3rd or 4th one, I replaced the housing as well, so the phone looks pretty handsome
    Last edited by kecskesadam; 2014-12-23 at 04:39 PM.

Hi there,

I'd have a question:

Any idea why the phone won't open any app that is beyond the needs of the "bubbleshhoter" game in graphics?... Every game crash right up on launch. In the meantime, Waze or any other nav app goes flawless. What the hell can be the problem? Thanks if anybody has an idea!

Hi there,

I'd have a question:

Any idea why the phone won't open any app that is beyond the needs of the "bubbleshhoter" game in graphics?... Every game crash right up on launch. In the meantime, Waze or any other nav app goes flawless. What the hell can be the problem? Thanks if anybody has an idea!
    From where did you get this games?

Appstore?... What else?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

A lot of developers havent really made their games to run well on the older hardware. May be something like that. My kids first iPad had similar issues. Apple's way of getting us to upgrade I guess.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

kecskesadam (2015-01-11)

Hello anyone,

I'd love to have some help regarding the redsn0w 0.9.15b3 version that I must use if I want to JB and unlock a still existing and living old bootrom 3GS.

The current problem is that I should point this redsn0w to the iOS 6.0 firmware in order to make it work, which I downloaded form different sources, but no matter what I do, it gives the message: "That IPSW is not supported by this redsn0w". Back in the day, some years ago, this was a source-problem: I downloaded the firmware from another source and redsn0w would accept it. but now I'm stuck. I have a newly restored device, desperately need to Jb and unlock, and I can't point this redsn0w to a firmware it'd need to work.

Does anyone have any idea? (Yeah I know, I should throw the 3GS in the garbage can...)
    Last edited by kecskesadam; 2016-10-19 at 12:38 AM.