Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How too migrate from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6+

Default How too migrate from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6+
    I was well into JB'ing my iPhone 4 and ATV2's back in the day. How rusty we get. Too much work to keep JB'ing to 5, 6, along with the apps so I remained static, needs met.

My plan is to purchase and JB an iPhone 6+ if/when that's possible keeping the 4 in service until the 6 replaces it in function. However, now my iPhone 4 MMS died, only SSM works. I rely on it to monitor security systems. AT&T can't fix. A sim swap to a stock 4S has working MMS so it's likely hardware or software.

Can someone bullet my options? Do I try to fix the 4 or live with the breakage? Can't find a compatible MMS app to substitute the Messages app. So have to drill into email every time a message/pic arrives. I worry restoring from a saved IPFW will wipe out all my older Apple and Cydia apps. Is there a way to cleanly restore the JB iOS 4.3.2 with legacy apps intact? I can handle restoring the simple data like contacts, photos, etc with iBye.

As for the iPhone 6 option, are most resigned to installing a JB iOS 7.x on it initially? Seems timing is everything. May not be a JB option by the time I purchase the 6.

Appreciate an overview...

iPhone 6 will have only IOS 8 on it, when it officially comes out. So we will have to wait a bit longer and hope that JB guys will do the job as soon as possible. We still don't know, if JB IOS 8 will be even possible.

As for your iPhone 4, why don't you just restore to 7.1.2 and jailbreak again. 4.3.2 is soooo outdated!!!
    After restore, you can manually return all your apps back. I see no problem there, or just maybe, I misunderstood your intentions.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Default How too migrate from iPhone 4 to iPhone 6+
    Hopefully the devs will wait a while to release a j/b till Apple does OS updates for any bugs.

Yes, right, we should hope for something like 8.0.1 jailbreak

Thanks bbrks for your insight. You certainly understood my objective. I've been hesitant upgrading my existing phone cause if it doesn't go well I'm without all the apps and utilities I need as a network engineer. Would much rather overlap building a new phone until satisfied, then excess the old phone.

On another related issue, your not going to believe was just happened. I've been struggling with this MMS issue for weeks spending hours scouring the web and on the phone with AT&T support. As a longshot I even uninstalled Cydia txt apps, no joy. This morning I stumbled across a solution at http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5185 that kind of related to my problem. Figured what do I have to loose, I'll try it. All I had to do was text "STOP" to # 48369 and my MMS now works normally again. I can only surmise that the AT&T network engineers, in their infinite wisdom, decided that nobody could possibly be using the Messages app anymore so lets send all MMS in iMessage format. Once I told the AT&T system to stop sending me MMS in iMessage format the problem was fixed. So simple yet so elusive was the fix.

I should cross-post this fix in a more suitable category with a more appropriate title. I can't be the only one that struggled with this problem. Frustrating that 3 levels of AT&T tech support could not pin down the problem. Looks like another example of carrier forced migration.
    Last edited by MarkN62; 2014-09-12 at 07:11 PM.

Well, all I can say is.....do you really think that the carriers have honest intentions towards their beloved customers

Certainly not. Nor does Apple I find out today. They all force migrate you like it or not. With much frustration I find the txt STOP trick only worked once for today until my wife discovered she could not iMessage pictures. So she re-registered via her phone which again broke MMS in my iPhone, uggg! Spend an hour with AT&T support, then another hour with Apple support. After trying many things it's still broke and remains broke. Even tried recreating a separate iTunes account, via my phone, exclusive to me, no joy. So I guess my only option now is to upgrade this relic to IOS 7.x on a reactionary rather than planned basis. I hardly know where to begin in that process I'm so rusty at backup/restore/jb as apple makes it painfully complicated. I lothe iTunes but like the hardware quality and app vetting, dilemma.

Anyone have time to offer me a quick run-down on the steps needed to;

* backup apple and cydia apps
    * upgrade to iOS 7.x (version?)
    * jailbreak iOS 7.x (JB app name, url?)
    * restore apple and cydia apps. (presume apple via iTunes store and Cydia via Cydia that installs upon JB)
    * restore music, contacts, email, pics. (iBye if the data created in ver 2.4.6 can be used by ver 3.0.1.)

Pretty sure I originally jailbroke with RedSnow.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

Always suggested to do a DFU restore. You have the process correct.
    Use Pangu jailbreak. Pangu Jailbreak Tool(Pangu.io)
    There are guides in our jailbreaking sections but it's really easy and uncomplicated. How to Jailbreak your iDevice | ModMyi.com
    Never restore your device from a backup, always set up as a new device.

Also, it's official now....iPhone 4 will have the jailbreak forever, since you can always restore back to 7.1.2

Thanks for the affirmation guys. Guess I finally found some luck with my iOS 4.3.2 & MMS. As mentioned I even tried recreating a separate iTunes account, via my phone, exclusive to me, no joy. Apparently it takes several days for the Apple iCloud server's cache to clear a device. About four days later my MMS began working again and hasn't quit since. So I finally got the time extension I was desperately looking for. And BiteSMS ver 6.2 restored from a hack repo since it was no longer listed in Cydia.

So for now I'm whole again. Soon as a JB is available for the iPhone 6 I'm all over it.