Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pangu (in)security

Default Pangu (in)security
    Hi, I was getting ready to sell my iPhone 5, doing a complete erase. The phone is at&t, had 7.1 jb'd with Pangu.

When I went through the erase procedures on the phone, I got the Apple logo, followed by a small progress bar, then a daisy wheel. it got stuck on the daisy wheel for 20 mins...

so i held the home and power buttons and upon restart, findmyiphone had been disabled, but the phone was otherwise the same.

i tried again: same results. i then tried a remote erase by logging onto icloud from my computer: same result.

to erase the device, i had to update to 7.1.2 (thereby un-jb'ing it). then i tried again and it worked quickly without issues.

Pangu security flaw?
    Anyone else had this prob?

First lesson........you never do erase all content and settings on jailbreaked iphone.....you have seen the result of doing it yourself.
    It doesn't have anything to do with Pangu

why not? that's gay. if someone steals my phone, i want to be able to do a remote erase.

What do you mean, why not. Because it happens every time you try to erase all content and setting on a jailbreaked iphone. Key word is JAILBREAK, it doesn't matter if it is Pangu, Evasion, Redsnow, Absinth........to erase everything from a jailbreaked iphone, restore is the only real option.

As for that problem with FMI, I don't understand, how it has been disabled, sorry.
    Last edited by bbrks; 2014-09-01 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrks View Post
    What do you mean, why not. Because it happens every time you try to erase all content and setting on a jailbreaked iphone. Key word is JAILBREAK, it doesn't matter if it is Pangu, Evasion, Redsnow, Absinth........to erase everything from a jailbreaked iphone, restore is the only real option.

As for that problem with FMI, I don't understand, how it has been disabled, sorry.
    And if a jb'd phone gets stolen? What then? No way to erase remotely...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You can erase phone remotely as long as you have Find my iphone turn on. .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greyhounds View Post
    And if a jb'd phone gets stolen? What then? No way to erase remotely...
    It's not the erasure itself that causes an issue. It's the fact that the phone, which has a modified kernel not erased following a wipe, cannot boot without the various filesystem exploits that allow for an unsigned kernel. So erasing it to prevent data compromise from theft is sufficient, but doing it when you want to use the phone without another restore is problematic.

TL;DR: Wipe after theft OK, restore all other cases.

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    You can erase phone remotely as long as you have Find my iphone turn on. .
    Same goes for EAS or a good old fashioned
    Code:
    rm -rf /