Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What Would You Do? JB 4s on 6.1.3 running perfectly, but end of OS life cycle. Update??

Default What Would You Do? JB 4s on 6.1.3 running perfectly, but end of OS life cycle. Update??
    I'm a big fan of the "if it aint broke why fix it" adage. So before you over (or under) think this, hear me out and understand my dilemma.

I have a 4s running 6.1.3, jailbroken and skinned just to my liking. The reason I have never updated to iOS 7 is because I absolutely hate the way it looks and I could care less about the "features" it offers because; A) my phone has all these add-on tweaks via Cydia and B) quite frankly most are ripped off from the JB community anyway. But lets not turn this into a which ios is better and here's why topic. As I see it, iOS 8 is just around the corner, and when that corner presents itself iOS 7.1.2 will no longer be available which will thwart my only attempt to update to a jailbreakable ios (for now). Furthermore, iOS 6.1.3, although still a rock solid OS, is slowly being phased out as a lot of apps are iOS 7x only.

So my dilemma, cringe and update to 7.1.2 now while its still open and JB-able? or hold onto my 6.1.3 till it becomes that reliable family car with 350k miles and you can no longer buy parts for..
    Last edited by MinimusMaximus; 2014-08-22 at 06:47 PM.

Very simple answer......7.1.2 and jailbreak again. Tweaks working perfectly, only slight limitations in themes, but I can live with it.
    And the most important fact......apps will be supported by Apple much longer than on 6.1.3.....

what about battery life?
    I get a couple days "normal" use currently. I've heard battery life for 4s' on 7 is much less.

also, assuming I do update to 7.1.2 (which I haven't updated a JB'd device in a while) what would be the procedure; especially if I wanted my cydia apps back:

1) Backup
    2) Update
    3) Restore from backup (no cydia apps will copy over obviously)
    4) JB
    ?) then what? will I have to literally copy down every cydia tweak I have on my phone beforehand then reinstall and (most likely) repurchase? or is there a cydia-side backup/restore available that will do like iTunes would do during a restore?

please feel free to confirm or correct my above procedure.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MinimusMaximus; 2014-08-22 at 10:34 PM.

Fresh restore, directly to 7.1.2, setup as new, jailbreak and than return all the apps and tweaks back manually. That's the only procedure I believe in.
    And besides that, consider the fact, that not all the tweaks you have now, will work on 7.1.2. But no worries, most of them have their substitutes, some of them are even better than before. Takes time, I know, but it's worth it
    Last edited by bbrks; 2014-08-22 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

When restoring a jailbroken device it is recommended to do a DFU restore.
    Agree with ^bbrks, don't use a backup, setup as new to avoid issues.
    There is a tweak from Cydia called "PgkBackup" that will restore all your jailbroken tweaks for you, a bit pricey as I remember, I think like $10.00. I believe in the method of just writing them down and re-install them again, but that's me.
    You will not have to pay for any of them again, just sign into Cydia's (Manage Account) and you will not have to pay.