Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 5 unlock and jail break

Default Iphone 5 unlock and jail break
    Hello again! I purchased a sealed in box iphone 5. It is locked from AT&T right out of the box and I want to use it with red pocket so that I can pay half the amount that it costs to have the phone with AT&T.

It was on 6.1.4 so I jail broke it with p0sixspwn.

I don't want to update the phone to the latest firmware 7.1.7, because as I understand it is not jail breakable as of yet.

Is there a way to update the phone from 6.1.4 to just 7.1.0 so that I can jail break it with Evasi0n7 1.0.8 ?

This will let me use some of the newer apps while still not having to go to 7.1.1

Also AT&T said that they would not unlock the phone unless I signed up for 60 days of service since I purchased it from a 3rd party. Screw that. I paid $30 at iDeviceguys to see if they can unlock it for me.

Why isn't there an app dl from cydia that lets you unlock the iphone 5 and 4? It can be done on iphone 3!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

No way to update and save your jailbreak on an i5, you'll have to stay where you are if jailbreak is important to you.
    The days of a software unlock are gone, you must have it factory unlocked as you did with iDeviceguys.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    No way to update and save your jailbreak on an i5, you'll have to stay where you are if jailbreak is important to you.
    The days of a software unlock are gone, you must have it factory unlocked as you did with iDeviceguys.
    So let's say I restore it an lose the jail brake to remove it? If out of the box it is 6.1.4, and I want to update it to just 7.1.0 (which from what I undertand can be jail broken using Evasi0n7 1.0.8 and then never update to 7.1.1 which would lose the jailbreak, what's the best way to do this? I figured I could jail brake first on 6.1.4, update to 7.1.0 which would remove the jail brake, and then jail brake it again so that I'm left with a 7.1.0 jail broken phone. Is this not possible?

I have the 7.1.0 on my win 7 laptop from this site.

Download Apple iOS7.1 all IPSW [Offical Download] | AppSofter.COM

You can't choose what firmware to update to anymore as apple won't sign the firmware and you will get a failed update and be forced to update to the latest firmware.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nicolas9977 For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2014-05-23)

Thanks

^Correct, once you restore to a new OS, it wipes everything from your device, including the jailbreak. Your stuck for now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

nicolas9977 (2014-05-23)

I'm still on 6.1.4 jail broken. I'm surprised with a jail broken phone with access to the file structure, that there isn't a way to mod the update on the iphone by yourself and sign it by modding a file on the phone. What's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by dpapag View Post
    I'm still on 6.1.4 jail broken. I'm surprised with a jail broken phone with access to the file structure, that there isn't a way to mod the update on the iphone by yourself and sign it by modding a file on the phone. What's the deal?
    Good question, are you able to? If so share with the rest of us

Why wouldn't this work:

-Connect your iOS device to your computer using an USB cable. Wait for iTunes to open and connect to your device.
    -Click on device button to the left of the iTunes Store button in the top right corner in iTunes.
    -Hold down on the option key (Mac) or the shift key (Windows) and click the “Check for Update” button in the Summary pane. Browse to the .ipsw file you downloaded and select it.
    ( in this case 7.1.0) -Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.
    -If necessary, restore your device from the previous backup and sync with iTunes.
    - Jail break it with Evasi0n7 1.0.8

Source: Install iOS 7.0.4 update on iPhone or iPad [Tutorial]

Thanks

7.1.1 is the only firmware that iTunes will allow you to update to, no jailbreak for that, bottom line.

If there were a way, we would know about it. Sorry.

Once updated, you will no longer have root access. NO JAILBREAK.

Once again if you saved your blobs for 6.1.2 then it would only let you install that firmware. It's not like the old days where we had to create custom ipsw files to inject into our iPhones in order to jailbrake. Back then we could pick any firmware we wanted to install up to the current one. Apple got smart and started requiring us to authenticate the firmware after your Device is wiped, But before the firmware is installed.

Also upgrading to 7.1 will cause you to loose your jailbreak. The highest you can go is 7.0.4.
    Last edited by nicolas9977; 2014-05-23 at 06:19 AM.

Thanks

You can't use blobs on an iPhone5, they will do you no good. 7.1.1 is the ONLY firmware he will be able to update too.