Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking an old iPhone 4

Default Jailbreaking an old iPhone 4
    Hi,

My wife and I both have iPhone 4. My phone is on version 4.3.4(8K2), Model MC603B, Modem Firmware 04.10.01.
    Our phones are locked to the 3 Ireland network and I have been unable for find any company that can do an IMEI factory unlock for 3 Ireland. We are presently using Givey sims to gain other networks. We cannot upgrade our iOS any longer and a lot of our apps will not work any longer as they need to be updated.

The last time I did a jailbreak it unlocked the phone to any network. I am so far behind on technology these days I'm not sure if this is the same now.

Is there any jailbreak the can allow me to use any sim and allow me to get our phones up to at least iOS 5 or 6??

Thanks

Podge

The only reasonable option would be to update to IOS 6.x.....but, there is a huge but!!!!!
    Check out first in Cydia, what SHSH blobs are saved....first page of Cydia, than scroll down, open TSS center and let us have a look

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

PodgeW (2014-05-03)

Thanks

If your devices still have iOS 4 on them, that implies a certain age to your devices (you got them in 2010 or early 2011, yeah)?

Three in Ireland may unlock your devices for free if you've served your minimum account term (on postpay) or if you've topped up at least €130 over the life of your account. Otherwise, they may charge a fee, but either way, Three should unlock you (assuming your account is not suspended or in arrears).

I do not know if Three will unlock the devices if you're not a Three customer, however. I also do not know of any services that will remotely unlock a Three Ireland device.

bbrks, thank you for your input. I'll try and research this over the weekend. It's all a bit over my head at the moment and will have to learn a bit first. But it sounds like my only option.

Orby, unfortunately three won't unlock them as we were not the original owners of the phones.
    Last edited by PodgeW; 2014-05-03 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PodgeW View Post
    bbrks, thank you for your input. I'll try and research this over the weekend. It's all a bit over my head at the moment and will have to learn a bit first. But it sounds like my only option.

Orby, unfortunately three won't unlock them as we were not the original owners of the phones.
    Oh, that bites.

Sorry about that, y'all.

BB is quite right on the jailbreaking route: if you have SHSH blobs saved with Cydia (check the TSS Centre on the front page), we can hopefully help you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

PodgeW (2014-05-03)

Anyhow, the point is....more apps will work on ios 6, than on ios 5....but bear in mind, more an more apps will need ios 7, so sooner or later, you should consider what Orby is saying....if you have the possibility to unlock the phones for free.....go for it.....and all of us, still having iphone 4, have a very rare privilege to jailbreak it, even on 7.1.1

EDIT: wow, what a timing, sad to hear that, but there is still hope
    Last edited by bbrks; 2014-05-03 at 12:58 AM.

Orby, as far as I know these phones have never been jailbroken so I don't think they have ever had Cydia loaded. So I'm assuming that's it no chance of doing anything with them. :-(

Ooooooooo, if the phones were never jailbreaked, than you can forget everything.......there is no chance to upgrade them, without upgrading the firmware (baseband) and that means locking them forever, sorry

Podge W.. Can just clarify that the only reason you've jailbreaked is because you need these phones unlocked to any network..?

There are still some Gevey sims available upto a certain version of OS.. But can look into that for you if you just want to upgrade your OS to one lower than ios 7..
    I have Gevey sims still in stock..
    Last edited by Networkbuild; 2014-05-03 at 01:35 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Networkbuild For This Useful Post:

PodgeW (2014-05-03)

Networkbuild that would be great thank you. I'm not sure how it would work, (upgrading up from 4 to 6). But hopefully I can get some help. Please let me know if you have any Givey sims in stock and to what iOS they go up to.
    Thanks again.

Hey guys, get serious please ....@Networkbuild....Gevey SIM doesn't have anything to do with IOS. So, there is no special Gevey unlocking different IOS. Gevey unlocks firmware(baseband). PodgeW's phones are already on 4.10.01...and that is the highest firmware, gevey can unlock. Anything above, lock forever!!!!

And, once again, without properly saved SHSH blobs for any IOS 6.x.x, you won't be able to make custom restore IPSW, which would save your baseband and unlock....sorry for that.
    Last edited by bbrks; 2014-05-03 at 10:31 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbrks For This Useful Post:

PodgeW (2014-05-03)

Bbrks, thanks again for your input, i much prefer the honesty, it sounds like I'm in trouble. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that an unlock opt by 3 Ireland will become available someday.

Thank you to all for you input and help.
    Last edited by PodgeW; 2014-05-03 at 12:11 PM.

@bbrks.. Cheers for ur extra input, the reason I said OS instead of baseband was in case PodgeW wasn't sure what this was, didn't want to have to explain base bands too ..
    I have access to the unlocking server so could try a factory unlock for you.. If it works you can pay afterwards if not no problem.. I just need the IMEI..

You can contact me separately if u don't wish it give ur IMEI out on here..
    Last edited by Networkbuild; 2014-05-03 at 07:48 PM.

Well that is up to PodgeW.....if he can get an offer, he can't refuse .......no problem

Hi networkbuild, What is the cost for your services if you can unlock our phones. ??

40.. For 3 Networks, 25 for O2 & Voda, and 60 for EE/Orange/T-mobile

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Networkbuild For This Useful Post:

PodgeW (2014-05-04)

Cheers networkbuilder I'll pm you my IMEI # now and see if it works. Thanks for the help.

Cheers networkbuild I'll pm in a few minutes
    Last edited by PodgeW; 2014-05-04 at 07:54 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PodgeW For This Useful Post:

Networkbuild (2014-05-05)