Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how can I erase/reset a 4s without wifi to disable cloud services?

Default how can I erase/reset a 4s without wifi to disable cloud services?
    So I have a Verizon iphone 4s that has recently been deactivated, and has a wifi hardware problem so there is no way to authenticate the Apple ID. So I want to wipe this phone completely before selling it, but in order to do that, the wipe option on the phone requires me to authenticate the Apple ID. No-go since wifi doesn't work. so I fire up iTunes, and click restore while holding down shift key, but it can't reset unless I disable cloud svcs on the phone which again requires auth to Apple.

So is there any way to erase this thing?
    -J

Thanks

If you do a DFU restore and set up as a new device, you should be able to input the Apple ID/password in iTunes as part of the new activation process. If that doesn't get the device activated, you could always get it swapped out for $200 USD or so (assuming it's out of warranty) for the shot Wi-Fi.

I don't really want to activate it. It's an old phone and I want to wipe it before selling it.

Thanks

Until the device (which was on iCloud) has that iCloud association removed, a clean wipe without requiring the password is impossible.

What might be possible would be the DFU restore and inputting the password as part of the activation process (has to be done, unfortunately), but then either electing to "set up the phone as new" or just unplugging the iPhone from the computer right then and there and be done with it. It may also be worth going to iCloud and removing the iPhone from the account that way (if it's not connected to the internet, it should allow you to remove the device from the list) then restoring it and see if that gets you past the password screen.

Does the device have functioning cellular connectivity, or is that out of order as well?