Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How can I update my jailbroken iPhone 4?

Default How can I update my jailbroken iPhone 4?
    I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 6.1.3. How can I update to 7.0.4? Can I just update through iTunes? Or do I have to do a restore to 7.0.4? If I do a restore do I run the evasion jailbreak before or after restoring from backup?

Do I have to do a restore first or no? I'm just concerned that because my phone is already jailbroken, it might cause an issue while just hitting update in itunes. What happens to my jailbreak? Does it just go away? I'm thinking maybe that will cause issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Restore as new then jailbreak

Since it's jailbroken, you need to put the iPHone in pwned DFU mode before doing a restore with iTunes. Also, when I manually put my iPhone 4 in pwned DFU and restored to 7.0.4, iTunes (latest version) gave some error codes. I had to download iREB from iH8sn0w.com and used it to put the phone in pwned DFU mode. After that the restore when smoothly. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by hcgaloi View Post
    Since it's jailbroken, you need to put the iPHone in pwned DFU mode before doing a restore with iTunes.
    Surely that's only true if trying to restore to a stitched FW? Regular DFU should suffice as essentially he'll just be restoring to 7.0.4 officially the way apple intended!

Feel I should point out iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 is pretty slow. I'd recommend sticking with 6.

Also ensure you've dumped your SHSH blobs with ifaith prior to any restore should you decide you want to go back to ios6 via the stitched FW method