Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: RAM issues in iOS7-say it isn't so?!

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

I just wanna see you post a link backing up your claims for once. That's all. Not saying you are right or wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I just wanna see you post a link backing up your claims for once. That's all. Not saying you are right or wrong.
    I can link to the old threads which contains the proof. But it's a moot point now.. And ancient news. I just wanted to point out the "worry about low RAM" wasn't unwarranted prior to the ip5. And Simon, truth be told, when King or Krima or anyone else on the forum make "statements" about their 'and other's' experience - as they remember them - you never ask for proof texts of them. Only of me, bro. I shouldn't have to put proof texts for every experience/fact I share. My word, like King's word, like Krima's word, like your word should be enough. If you have a different experience/set of facts - share it. Simple..

Let's start 2014 - with "you" applying 'equal standards' to me as well, please- lose the patronizing of me - and you and I will have a great year, bro.

I know my shortcomings.. and I'll police them.. Promise!.. But treat me as an equal, Simon, and as the helpful member I am- as "others" do - even King. -- and we'll be great..

I've made lots of changes to "fit in" in the last several weeks since your major flame of me.. I don't use % anymore.. Lol!! I write less per post.. I let many an inflammatory comment levied against me go.. And I ignore many things I "could " chime in on. I'm doing my best.. I'd ask you to start afresh with me, please.

Truce?
    Grant

Edit: For those reading.. I want to publicly admit that most of the problem people, including Simon, have had with me for these last two years has been of MY own doing. Pompous azz attitude, condescension and host of other annoying traits. It's hard breaking into this 'group' if you come with prior experience - but my reactions to challenges have not helped my case. So some people have a 'learned' response to me - for good reason. I'd like to turn that around.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-01-05 at 08:08 PM. Reason: additional conciliatory statement

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (2014-01-05)

Thanks

I can't speak for Krima or King. Only myself. I do provide links to backup what I am saying. Not all the time, but I definitely do. Just wanted you to go and do a little research and post one for once, that's all. Not trying to argue what you are saying at all in this instance.

Doesn't matter though. No big deal to me if you don't here. You are right, no point going down the RAM debate road again. But I do expect some links this year to go along with those grand statements you so like to make . Ok?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

NewD (2014-01-05)

Bravo, Grant. Admitting is half of being admitted.
    The theme in my posts is 3 4 All, by Sk37cH.

The numerous versions released, and infinite versatility, beats IconOmatic mods. By quality.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alfroggy For This Useful Post:

NewD (2014-01-05)

Thanks

I can't speak for Krima or King. Only myself. I do provide links to backup what I am saying. Not all the time, but I definitely do. Just wanted you to go and do a little research and post one for once, that's all. Not trying to argue what you are saying at all in this instance.

Doesn't matter though. No big deal to me if you don't here. You are right, no point going down the RAM debate road again. But I do expect some links this year to go along with those grand statements you so like to make . Ok?
    Only IF I make any. And I do LOADS of research and testing before I ever make a claim, bro. You've never given me that credit.

And when you're helping and making general (all-encompassing statements) you actually 'don't' put a proof text with them, Simon. Rarely in fact. BUT when you want to 'correct' someone - then you come with your proof texts. As it should be. I respect that - proof texts to CHALLENGE someone.

Did you read my 'updated' post a few minutes before you replied? HERE
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-01-05 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Only IF I make any. And I do LOADS of research and testing before I ever make a claim, bro. You've never given me that credit.

And when you're helping and making general (all-encompassing statements) you actually 'don't' put a proof text with them, Simon. Rarely in fact. BUT when you want to 'correct' someone - then you come with your proof texts. As it should be. I respect that - proof texts to CHALLENGE someone.

Did you read my 'updated' post a few minutes before you replied? HERE
    All good then, all you have to do when doing all the research and testing is bookmark a page or two. Then when someone challenges it all you gotta do is point them towards your proof. Easy

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

...and the beat goes on.

Thanks

All good then, all you have to do when doing all the research and testing is bookmark a page or two. Then when someone challenges it all you gotta do is point them towards your proof. Easy
    EDITED... Simon - what I wrote here initially was just another attempt to get 'the last word' with you about this topic.. So I erased it...

What you ask there is reasonable... thx.
    Last edited by NewD; 2014-01-05 at 09:44 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (2014-01-05), Simon (2014-01-06)

Yup! That's right 7mb of ram! But still running just fine!

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (2014-01-06), Bo Troxell (2014-01-06), NewD (2014-01-06), Simon (2014-01-06)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Yup! That's right 7mb of ram! But still running just fine!
    Lol.. The lowest I've seen is 32mb.. No problems at all with lag.. iOS 6 & 7 have finally nailed Dynamic RAM allocation's functionality.. Hallelujah !!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

Alfroggy (2014-01-06)

With the advent of the new tweak StatusModifier for all devices - we can see RAM stats again in status bar.. But I'm wondering if iOS 7 itself is WAY more RAM intensive that ios6. After a full reboot the highest number I've seen on my 5S in 501MB ( on my 5 with 6.1.2 and a jillion tweaks 800MB).

Then you open 1 app like ModMyi and you're down to 350MB.. ?!?!? Open Apple Store next and down to 32MB. ?!?!??!?!

Is anyone else experiencing this? Only one tweak loaded now.. besides Cydia Substrate and Preference Loader. Just StatusModifier.

Any thoughts?

Just look at the RAM usage on Mavericks on Macs. Free RAM is wasted RAM, since to hold values you need to rewrite the data, and all RAM is rewritten constantly. Apple has most likely modified RAM use in both, Mavericks and iOS in order to take advantage of unused RAM.

With Mavericks, for example, you can use RAM as a file cache! That's all RAM is essentially, a cache. iOS is probably doing the same, and holding unused apps that were used recently in RAM to speed up should you launch it. This, aside from a minimal processor use in loading the apps, has no adverse effects.

EDIT: The better performance metric to use now is "Memory Pressure."

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruslan120 For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (2014-01-09), NewD (2014-01-09), RKO1195 (2014-01-14), Simon (2014-01-09)

Livin the iPhone Life Mr.Coffee's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 837 Posts

LOL!! Yep.. That's likely what I'll do.. In the days of iOS4 and 5 - lower RAM readout ALWAYS meant slower phone response.. EVEN after Dynamic RAM allocation became part of the hardware. So I'm just a little jumpy.. iOS 6 never had a problem with showing lower RAM numbers - even with a zillion tweaks loaded and multiple animation themes and iWidgets running on top of one another - as many of you know me to run... on iOS6 my iPhone5 never showed a drop below 400MB ever.. And most of the time stayed between 650-750 even with apps in the Switcher. iOS7 must truly be a BIG rewrite rendering these RAM numbers 'non-indicative' of what's really going on under the hood of 5S.

I would be interested to know if you who are still on 4, 4S, 5 or 5C see the same thing with this tweak installed. Or if it's just a 5S thing.

Thanks!
    This is my 4s 😂😂😂

ImageUploadedByModMyi1389288599.181069.jpg

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:

NewD (2014-01-09)

Quote Originally Posted by ruslan120 View Post
    Just look at the RAM usage on Mavericks on Macs. Free RAM is wasted RAM, since to hold values you need to rewrite the data, and all RAM is rewritten constantly. Apple has most likely modified RAM use in both, Mavericks and iOS in order to take advantage of unused RAM.

With Mavericks, for example, you can use RAM as a file cache! That's all RAM is essentially, a cache. iOS is probably doing the same, and holding unused apps that were used recently in RAM to speed up should you launch it. This, aside from a minimal processor use in loading the apps, has no adverse effects.

EDIT: The better performance metric to use now is "Memory Pressure."

Ahhh, someone that gets it!

Very nice post bro!

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

22. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Simon (2014-01-09)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12