Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to upgrade IOS on previously Unlocked 3GS - Need help!

Default How to upgrade IOS on previously Unlocked 3GS - Need help!
    I have a 3GS phone that was previously unlocked using Cydia sometime ago. My phone is running old version 3.0.1 with a baseband 04.26.08. I would like to upgrade my IOS to more current version in order to download newer apps. I have been reading post on many sites and still have not been able to find clear directions as to how to perform the IOS upgrade safely without losing "Unlock". I would appreciate if someone can either provide directions or point me to the link where instructions are available to do IOS upgrade without losing unlock status.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance....

Quote Originally Posted by Amean1 View Post
    I have a 3GS phone that was previously unlocked using Cydia sometime ago. My phone is running old version 3.0.1 with a baseband 04.26.08. I would like to upgrade my IOS to more current version in order to download newer apps. I have been reading post on many sites and still have not been able to find clear directions as to how to perform the IOS upgrade safely without losing "Unlock". I would appreciate if someone can either provide directions or point me to the link where instructions are available to do IOS upgrade without losing unlock status.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance....
    The latest and only iOS version your 3gs can update to is 6.1.3.

In order to ensure the phone does not lose its unlock capability, you need to "preserve" the baseband, so that it remains at 04.26.08 even after updating to iOS 6.

Then you can download ultrasn0w from Cydia, which will unlock the phone.

Because I'm lazy and I feel that videos do more justice, follow the video here to preserve the baseband:
    How to Update to iOS 6 and Preserve Baseband for Unlock - YouTube

Download the iOS 6.1.3 firmware here:
    http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091...9_Restore.ipsw

Then you want to follow the instructions here to perform an untethered 6.1.3 jailbreak:
    Jailbreak iOS 6.1.3, 6.1.4, 6.1.5 Untethered with P0sixspwn - YouTube

Be aware though that the jailbreak software is currently supported on MAC only. If you have windows, you have to wait for them to update it via this site:
    p0sixspwn

If you have a MAC and successfully jailbroken the device, you can look up ultrasn0w in cydia and install it. It should recognize your sim card after following the instructions after installation of ultrasn0w.

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to report back and we will assist you further.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot Evo for your assistance. I do have an Apple Powerbook G4 but it is at OS X 10.4.11. It appears that to use P0sixspwn, OS X level needs to be 10.7+ so I may not be able to use it anyway. Since the tool for windows is not yet available for 6.1.3, what is the highest level I can go to for tools to work on windows PC?

Thanks again for your help....

Thanks a lot Evo for your assistance. I do have an Apple Powerbook G4 but it is at OS X 10.4.11. It appears that to use P0sixspwn, OS X level needs to be 10.7+ so I may not be able to use it anyway. Since the tool for windows is not yet available for 6.1.3, what is the highest level I can go to for tools to work on windows PC?

Thanks again for your help....
    actually if you visit the p0sixspwn website, they just released the windows version

Yes, I saw that last night and downloaded the file. As I watched the video "How to Update to iOS 6 and Preserve Baseband for Unlock", it mentions using "Redsn0w". However, as I was installing the 6.1.3, towards the end redsn0w was showing waiting for a device and iphone was showing apple logo. After waiting for more than 5 minutes and nothing changed, I googled and found some info that redsn0w cannot handle anything beyond IOS 6.0 and stopped the process. I also read elsewhere that may be sn0wbreeze 2.9.14 may be the way to go.

I would appreciate your guidance...

Yes, I saw that last night and downloaded the file. As I watched the video "How to Update to iOS 6 and Preserve Baseband for Unlock", it mentions using "Redsn0w". However, as I was installing the 6.1.3, towards the end redsn0w was showing waiting for a device and iphone was showing apple logo. After waiting for more than 5 minutes and nothing changed, I googled and found some info that redsn0w cannot handle anything beyond IOS 6.0 and stopped the process. I also read elsewhere that may be sn0wbreeze 2.9.14 may be the way to go.

I would appreciate your guidance...
    I believe there is a trick to getting redsn0w to recognize 6.1.3, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

You can definitely use the latest sn0wbreeze to preserve the baseband. Just youtube it if you are unsure how.

Then you can follow the remaining instructions.

I used the sn0wbreeze and it went through the installation process successfully and came up to the screen to set up the iphone. I than tried using the p0sixspwn for jailbreak, but it told me that the device is already jail broken. So I just went went ahead and restored the backup from itunes and phone is up and running and showing version 6.1.3 with firmware 4.26.08. Also I don't see the carriers name next to the reception bars so does this mean that unlock is intact and I don't have to do anything further?

Thanks again for all your help and assistance

search for ultrasn0w in cydia and install it

Thank you Evo. I installed ultrasn0w 1.2.8 and do see carrier name as well. Thanks again for your assistance