Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it worth updating to IOS7.0.4?

Default Is it worth updating to IOS7.0.4?
    I have an iPad3 3G and its on IOS6.1.2 JB.
    Now is it really worth upgrading to IOS7.0.4?
    Its starting to feel sluggish so should restore anyway but wondering if I can just restore 6.1.2 or should I now upgrade to 7.0.4?

I have an iPhone 4 and its on 7.0.4 and just about everything I JB for is now working on the iPhone 4 so it should also work on the iPad3 but after info from others with iPads on IOS7 what they recommend.
    Is IOS7 slower than IOS6?
    Is there extra features I'm missing out on? (In 6.1.2 I'm running IntelliscreenX)

I just did a backup so soon I will be restoring just want others opinions before I choose which IOS to restore to.

"Never change a running system". If it's sluggish maybe do a restore, but other than cosmetics you might not gain much moving up. I had an Iphone 4S on 6.x and it was fine. Now I have a 5S on 7.x and it looks different but that's about it. The nice upgrades about iOS 7 are some of the new "features" were avail before or iOS via JB apps and tweaks. I would probably stick to 6.x. It's just snappier on an iPhone 4 I guess. On the other hand, if you ever wanted to upgrade, it's always a good idea to do it at a time when a JB is available for the current release etc. But you might lose the ability to go back, so I would be careful.

How do you restore to 6.1.2 when you jailbroke it?

Thanks.
    Good point. The next IOS they release wont be able to JB so I should probably upgrade this time as I don't know when I will get the next chance.
    BUT I dont like IOS7, it looks crap and cheap. All the new features are just the Apple version of SB Settings which I have on 6.1.2.
    The problem is most apps are IOS7 only now. I have a heap of apps with updates on iTunes but they wont update as I'm still on IOS6.

I did see tests saying the iPhone4 is the worst out of all iphones on IOS7, its even slower than the iPhone 2G which is a real surprise.
    The thing is I've never seen any good videos of the iPad3 with IOS7 showing any of the new features or GUI. I also read the iPad3 is missing a lot of new features the iPad4 has even that its very similar in specs they refuse to give it those features. Kinda like the iPhone 4S had Siri where the iPhone 4 didn't. Even that the iPhone 4 can easily run Siri and I was running it for ages but Apple just refuse to give it that feature even that it works fine on that device.

My thoughts is if they just remove features then why should I bother upgrading? I look the good looks of IOS6 and some useful functions and gain a crap look but I do gain the new versions of the apps that are now IOS7 only versions.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

^^iP4 is the only device that is able to go back to 6.1.2.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

King_O_Hill (2014-01-02)

Quote Originally Posted by todesto View Post
    How do you restore to 6.1.2 when you jailbroke it?
    What?
    The latest IOS was 6.1.2 when I jailbroke it. It's never been upgraded or restored since.

Quote Originally Posted by c1972798 View Post
    What?
    The latest IOS was 6.1.2 when I jailbroke it. It's never been upgraded or restored since.
    Apple does not sign 6.1.2 on any device now as far as what I know.

iPhone 3GS with w/AT&T
    Technician
    Smart Cellphone Repair
    www.ifixsmartphone.com
    Ask me all your hardware problem!

Quote Originally Posted by todesto View Post
    Apple does not sign 6.1.2 on any device now as far as what I know.
    No they dont. Your point being?

I have the same dilemma. I am on a iphone 5 with a JB ios 6.1.2. Folders are bigger than on ios 7 and with a couple of Cydia tweaks (primarily Intelliscreen) I can see things the way I want to see them from the lockscreen and things work the way I want them to work.
    But as you point out some apps are not being updated because of 6.1.2 and the day will come where I will have to upgrade to ios 7 (or God forbid, ios 8) without the possiblity of JB.

Thanks.
    Good point. The next IOS they release wont be able to JB so I should probably upgrade this time as I don't know when I will get the next chance.
    BUT I dont like IOS7, it looks crap and cheap. All the new features are just the Apple version of SB Settings which I have on 6.1.2.
    The problem is most apps are IOS7 only now. I have a heap of apps with updates on iTunes but they wont update as I'm still on IOS6.

I did see tests saying the iPhone4 is the worst out of all iphones on IOS7, its even slower than the iPhone 2G which is a real surprise.
    The thing is I've never seen any good videos of the iPad3 with IOS7 showing any of the new features or GUI. I also read the iPad3 is missing a lot of new features the iPad4 has even that its very similar in specs they refuse to give it those features. Kinda like the iPhone 4S had Siri where the iPhone 4 didn't. Even that the iPhone 4 can easily run Siri and I was running it for ages but Apple just refuse to give it that feature even that it works fine on that device.

My thoughts is if they just remove features then why should I bother upgrading? I look the good looks of IOS6 and some useful functions and gain a crap look but I do gain the new versions of the apps that are now IOS7 only versions.

No they dont. Your point being?
    The point is that you said you could just restore to iOS 6.1.2

How do you intend to do this on an iPad 3?

Check out WW3 for iOS 9/10 - Widget-Weather 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    The point is that you said you could just restore to iOS 6.1.2

How do you intend to do this on an iPad 3?
    The Semi-restore app that came out ages ago.

Thanks for the replies.
    After testing more Cydia apps and they work I think I will upgrade to IOS7. Hate the look of it but hopefully it'll be as good or faster on the iPad3.

Well I updated to IOS7.0.4. Jailbroke it and it took 2 goes as it wouldn't open the icon the first time so had to do it twice.
    Now after 7 hours still waiting for the restore to finish. Its only half way through. It took a total of about 2 mins to make the backup and about 6 mins to restore the backup but so far its about 7 hours to install the apps again. It is a 64GB and it had about 2 GB free but it never took 7 hours to restore last time. I restored and had it all set up after 7 hours on IOS6 so IOS7 is really slow.

And I didn't realise but most of my favorite used apps are now REALLY BRIGHT! I cant use them anymore as they are just too bright and cant find the options to turn them black again. All the backgrounds are bright white now which really sucks and I guess a huge drain on the battery.

And backgrounds. HOW do you get a picture to center for a background? I found a pic I wanted as my lockscreen background and its only letting me have the center of the pic not the whole pic.
    Apple have really screwed everyone over with this IOS7. This is what I didn't want, to upgrade and find out its total crap like it is.
    Its too bright, cant have backgrounds the way you want them, its a huge drain on battery as its so bright.... cant wait for IOS8 and its jailbreak as it cant come soon enough to get off IOS7.
    At least its jailbroken so I can set it up how I like.

Can someone help me here. This is what I do and this is the problem I'm having.
    1, I restore my iPad3. Its empty, fresh restore.
    2, I jailbreak.
    3, I add a few jailbreak tweaks, OpenSSH, iFile, etc.
    4, I restore using itunes to put back apps and settings.
    5. ALL Cydia apps and icons are gone. No longer have Cydia, no longer have access to iFile etc.

HOW do a I restore so I have all iTunes Apps and Cydia apps?
    Last edited by c1972798; 2014-01-04 at 04:22 AM.

Thanks

Restore In iTunes. If u restore from backup, do that first, then JB. I don't use backups so I always setup as new device, but that's me. I don't care about app/game data.