Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4, upgrade jailbreak from 5.1.1 to 6.1.2 - Couple questions

Default iPhone 4, upgrade jailbreak from 5.1.1 to 6.1.2 - Couple questions
    I've got an iPhone 4 on iOS 5.1.1 that I jailbroke using Absinthe a long time again... I just stayed on 5.1.1 until now. Theres a few apps that I would like to have but i notice that many of them i need atleast iOS 6.X to use them. So, I want to upgrade my jailbrake to 6.X

I see that 6.1.2 is the latest Non-7 jailbrake available for iphone 4 (iOS 7 looks like a child's fischer price Learning Tablet to me... my otterbox would make it perfect for teething... im surprised the apps don't giggle when you touch them... anways...) I just have a few questions.
    Being that I am jailbroken on 5.1.1, whats the best way to Upgrade to iOS 6.1.2, jailbroken?
    I saw a stickied thread on here about updating to 6.X from 5.X, but in red at the top it says that its not working?
    What's the method to go from my 5.1.1 to 6.1.2? I also saw the guide for jailbreaking 6.1.2 using evasion 1.5.3, but i know that when a phone is already jailbroken, it's not good to just restore the normal way...

I am limited in my tech savvy-ness.... sorry if my post sounds noob-ish...

..... thanks.

If you didn't save iOS 6.1.2 SHSH blob manually, you can't update to it. If so, you can only update to 7.0.4 which you can untethered jailbreak with evasi0n. Good luck

Oh, I see... hmm, i thought maybe the older versions could be downloaded somewhere online? Okay... Well, I guess I will have to go to iOS 7.
    Thanks.

Yes, you can download old iOS firmware online (iClarified.com). However, starting with iOS 5.x.x you need to stitch it with the SHSH specific to your device before you can do a restore. What you are missing is the 6.1.2 SHSH for your iPhone. Thus, you can only upgrade to the current version which is being signed by Apple (7.0.4). Hope that helps....

iPhone? More like MyPhone donkeylarry's Avatar
    Thanks

I am also on 5.1.1 (4s) from an original jailbreak from Redsn0w. I would like to upgrade to a newer ios due to the inability to update some apps etc.

I am hesitant because my phone is EXACTLY like I want it, design wise, and would be destroyed if I lost some of that (as it's taken me over a year to get this how I wanted it) and as important if I lost any of the data (music etc.) and or functionality.

I don't use iTunes much and really need to use that to bring over all the music I've added in the past year or so (which is a problem in itself). Not sure how to push all my existing playlists to iTunes to do a proper backup and later restore. Any suggestions here?

So with that, I reach out to the experienced and expert minds for your input. What's the best, proven and guided step-by-step way to do the upgrade and to which ios version is this?

Any and all feedback, guidance and suggestions are VERY VERY VERY appreciated! I'd like to do this tonight if at all possible!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donkeylarry View Post
    I am also on 5.1.1 (4s) from an original jailbreak from Redsn0w. I would like to upgrade to a newer ios due to the inability to update some apps etc.

I am hesitant because my phone is EXACTLY like I want it, design wise, and would be destroyed if I lost some of that (as it's taken me over a year to get this how I wanted it) and as important if I lost any of the data (music etc.) and or functionality.

I don't use iTunes much and really need to use that to bring over all the music I've added in the past year or so (which is a problem in itself). Not sure how to push all my existing playlists to iTunes to do a proper backup and later restore. Any suggestions here?

So with that, I reach out to the experienced and expert minds for your input. What's the best, proven and guided step-by-step way to do the upgrade and to which ios version is this?

Any and all feedback, guidance and suggestions are VERY VERY VERY appreciated! I'd like to do this tonight if at all possible!
    Your only option with the 4S will be 7.0.4 (barring some very unusual chicanery that may or may not work to try and deliver you to 6.1.3).

Updating the firmware will necessitate erasing the device (and for best results, subsequently not restoring from an iTunes backup). While we can grab the music off of your iPhone and sort it into your iTunes, everything else will be lost and you'll have to start from essentially scratch.

It sounds like you value your phone the way it is as of today. Bearing that in mind, I don't think you'd want the headache of trying to reconstruct this thing as dialed in as you have it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

donkeylarry (2014-01-29)

iPhone? More like MyPhone donkeylarry's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks Orby!!! Exactly what I was hoping to find out!!! More importantly, didn't want to "try" something and have a complete disaster! Much appreciated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by donkeylarry View Post
    Thanks Orby!!! Exactly what I was hoping to find out!!! More importantly, didn't want to "try" something and have a complete disaster! Much appreciated!
    Now if/when that day arrives where the "killer must-have app" releases requiring iOS 7 and it's worth it to you to start over, it's certainly a daunting but plausible task (make SURE you do it before Apple closes the 7.0.4 signing window though, e.g., before Apple releases iOS 7.1 to the public).