Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can You Save This iPhone?!

Default Can You Save This iPhone?!
    On eBay all the time I see "iCloud locked" or "bad ESN". Is there any way to save these phones? I see them still selling for hundreds of dollars, I mean they must be of some value. I've been on the Android platform for years, I'm just coming back to Apple. I used to be into jailbreaking and hacking, I wasn't 1337 but I was adept. So are these phones junk, or can anyone offer links on tutorials how to repair?
    information wants to be free

Thanks

Phones with these statuses tend not to be totally ethically or legally acquired...

"Bad ESN/MEID" phones can be rectified by paying the incumbent carrier what's due (unless the device is blacklisted due to theft).
    "iCloud activation locked" phones can be rectified either with the original password, or sufficient proof of purchase presented to Apple (again, unless blacklisted due to theft).

That's pretty much as I understood it. However new iPhone with bad ESNs are selling all day for $300.. which is crazy if its just for parts. Which leads me to believe that somewhere people are hacking them to work again. It's just not super-public knowledge. Hence why I was hoping someone has a work around and is willing to share.

But I guess we're talking about the Geohot's of the world aren't we; and they're not posting their uber secrets on public forums in neat and tidy little tutorials. That is not until their done exploiting them first
    information wants to be free

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by setotitan View Post
    That's pretty much as I understood it. However new iPhone with bad ESNs are selling all day for $300.. which is crazy if its just for parts. Which leads me to believe that somewhere people are hacking them to work again. It's just not super-public knowledge. Hence why I was hoping someone has a work around and is willing to share.

But I guess we're talking about the Geohot's of the world aren't we; and they're not posting their uber secrets on public forums in neat and tidy little tutorials. That is not until their done exploiting them first
    Considering changing the MEID of an iPhone is illegal under United States (and many other countries') law, I wouldn't exactly be bragging about it either... assuming the legitimate routes for getting the MEID reinstated are off the table.

Three hundred for an otherwise perfectly working phone (e.g., parts) doesn't sound terribly outrageous to me for a newer phone model (5/s/c).