Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore Loop - TinyUmbrella Not working

Default Restore Loop - TinyUmbrella Not working
    I have an ipad 3. Installed iOs 5.1.1 about 6 months ago and installed cydia by using redsn0w. Today whilst opening Pandora (a standard apple app) the ipad went into recovery mode and only shows the 'connect to itunes' symbol.

I've tried downloading tinyumbrella and using the 'Fix Recovery' option, I did this by putting the ipad into DFU mode and then selecting 'Exit Recovery'. I then see the Ipad reboot, but it goes straight back to the recovery mode icon. I also tried hitting this straight from the recovery mode and it will reboot but goes straight back into recovery mode.

I've followed numerous different guides that describe how to 'exit recovery' but none seem to work for me, possibly I'm missing the obvious but I've tried multiple times and guides.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, back on iOS5, using Redsnow, I would try just boot, recovery fix and if they didn't work re-jailbreak, but do remember to untick install Cydia at the option screen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DC_Dave For This Useful Post:

VanOfBees (2013-08-02)

I've tried all that, I'm trying to re-jailbreak with RedSn0w and it says it isn't supported. What would you suggest I try to use to jailbreak it again? Remembering that I can't get my ipad out of recovery mode.

TIA

Thanks

Hi, if Redsnow won't re-jailbreak it while in DFU mode, I would try an older version, Redsnow 0.9.14b2 or even while in Pwned DFU mode.

I've tried Redsnow 0.9.12b1, 0.9.14b2 and 0.9.15b3

Can you clarify what you mean by "while in Pwned DFU mode.". I see within Redsnow it has a 'Pwned DFU mode' but it sounds like is only useful if I want to restore a custom IPSW and any jailbroken IPSW wouldn't be signed so wouldn't work for me (if I understand correctly). Have I misunderstood?

Thanks

Yes sorry I only ever had an iPhone 4 on iOS5, I'm thinking now that the DFU mode jailbreak may not work on an iOS5.1.1 iPad 3 (maybe someone can confirm this).
    You might get lucky with Recboot 2.2 or iReb
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 2013-08-03 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Yes sorry I only ever had an iPhone 4 on iOS5, I'm thinking now that the DFU mode jailbreak may not work on an iOS5.1.1 iPad 3 (maybe someone can confirm this).
    You might get lucky with Recboot 2.2 or iReb
    The only tool that might work would be something like TinyUmbrella's "Exit Recovery" (something that sends the iTunes command for exiting recovery) since the DFU method will not work on the iPad 3.

If that doesn't do the trick, I'm afraid we're looking at a restore (or perhaps iLEX or the Semi-Restore tool if we can get SSH access).

Unfortunately I've tried TinyUmbrella multiple times. I've tried both 'Exit Recovery' and 'Fix Recovery', it does reboot the ipad but goes straight back into recovery mode.

I downloaded Semi-restore and from what I've read it only works if you can boot the device (does not work in recovery or DFU mode).

I'll spend a bit of time tomorrow trying to gain ssh access to it but I'm not hopeful.

Unfortunately I wasn't previously aware of backing up your jailbreak (if that's the correct term) using tinyumbrella to create shsh files.

One other thing I'm now trying to research is whether I can obtain a shsh from cydia some how (I saw one through redsn0w indicating there was something out there for 6.0.1) but I think I'm misunderstanding how this works.

If I have to do the full restore, I'll end up on 6.1.3 . I'm pretty sure there is no way to jailbreak (tethered or untethered) this currently, quite a lot of sites claiming it is possible but I suspect these are all hoaxes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Right, there isn't any jailbreak on IOS 6.1.3 for ipad 3.

Thanks

Hi, Cydia should have your iOS 5.1.1 blobs for you to download and you should then be able to restore back to 5.1.1 with Redsnow and rejailbreak.

Thanks

Don't think so you can restore to 5.1.1 even with blob.

Thanks

Hi, had a bit of a google and if you got to 5.1.1 using OTA then it won't work
    Re-Restore iPhone 4S, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPod touch From iOS 5.x To iOS 5.x Using Redsn0w | Redmond Pie
    I'm guessing here, but if you already jailbroke 5.1.1 then Cydia should have your blobs.

If I query cydia through RedSn0w it says it has the following blob - iPad3,1 1656650105672 full blobs:6.0.1

Problem is that I don't think you can do stitching for an A5 device - as documented here - http://modmyi.com/forums/how-jailbre...ware-file.html

"Stitching SHSH blobs to a firmware file only works on A4 and older iOS devices. This will not work on the newer iOS devices such as the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and the new iPad."

Thanks

Odd, if you installed iOS5.1.1 six months ago when iOS6 was out, I'm thinking you must have had 5.1.1 blobs saved somewhere on your PC. Have a search for them. If you can find them try the guide in post #12. The article in your post #13 is for an older version of Redsnow.

Thanks

Is an Ipad 3, once apple stops signing the firmware, it is history.