Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Cannot make or receive calls. Reapir needed." Help!

Default "Cannot make or receive calls. Reapir needed." Help!
    Hi,
    I have done web searches, and encountered others getting this problem, but I have yet to find a fix.

First, and foremost, I will give a breakdown of what happened.

I have a two month old 16gb Iphone, that I upgraded to 1.14 when it came out.
    About two weeks ago, I used Ziphone to jailbreak the phone. I then added some apps, mostly games.
    On Thursday, I attempted to install Community Sources, and after that, a Final Fantasy Theme for Summerboard. Up until now, I had no problems.
    The iphone then displayed the message "iPhone cannot make or receive calls. Repair needed. www.apple.com/support". I was still on the Home screen when this happened. So, I tried to restart my phone. Message appeared again. I decided I would try to uninstall all my apps using the uninstall tab on installer. Everything uninstalled without a glitch, and I restarted my phone again.
    This time, it brought me to the keypad for emergency calls, with the repair message listed.
    I took a deep breath, not worrying yet, and just stopped worrying until I got home.
    Once home, I attemped to restore to stock using iTunes. (I know I made a lot of mistakes until now probably, but I had no idea what to do, and I believed restoring to stock would work).
    iTunes detected the iPhone but said that the sim card was not installed and so iTunes could not sync the phone. I put the phone into restore mode, and was able to try a restore that way.
    The process got to "Installing firmware", where it hung for a whiile, and then gave me the error, "Restore could not be completed due to an unknown error (1011.)
    I have tried restoring on all USB ports, reinstalling iTunes, deleting the files on the Apple restore guide, I even tried on my girlfriend's macbook.
    It always gives me the same error 1011.
    I then tried ibricker, which detected my iphone in restore mode, and tried to repair, which just brought me back to the emergency keypad with the repair needed message.
    I used Ziphone's Refurbish command to use when sending back to Apple. It can that program fine.
    Here is where I think I really messed up. I then was reading, and tried to used Ziphone to download bootloader. It got to the a part where it said "Waiting for data" and hung there. This is where I started to panic for my stupidity.
    Ran ibricker again, let it try to restore, which it did, and I am back to the emergency keypad with the repair needed message again.
    I talked to Apple, they couldn't diagnose anything beyond it may have been a magnetic slider case (which I don't use). They sent me a box to return for repair, which just arrived about 5 minutes ago.
    However, I am worried they will discover it was jailbroken (I am hoping the Refurbish cleared it, but my stupidity trying to downgrade it may cost me), and declared it void.

I know this is a long message, but I wanted to list all the facts. I really wish I had just left well enough alone.

If anyone knows what I can/should do, please let me know.

I guess you are just going to have to hope for the best.

When you try to restore the phone in itunes, you should try this:

1. connect your phone to itunes.

2. with phone connected, enter DFU mode by holding down sleep and home buttons. when phone screen turns black, let go of sleep button (top button) while still holding the home button.

3. itunes should recognize phone in recovery mode, then click on resstore.

That error message you are getting sounds similar to an error message I have seen when the phone is not connected to itunes while entering DFU mode.

This is just a shot in the dark, but it might work.

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately, I have tried this, many times.

I even let ZiPhone put the iPhone into DFU mode for me, to make sure it was right. No luck, same error message.

I highly doubt I damaged the hardware, so it has to be a software or firmware malfunction right?

Is there no way to force the iPhone to reinstall all its software to stock?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've had this problem before, and i'm pretty sure it's a Baseband Problem. It happened for me when i had a failed refurbish on ZiPhone, all that sorted it for me was going into itunes with the phone on normally displaying the message and shift+Restore it to 1.1.4.

Have you tried using iTunes 7.5.20 or earlier, as i've heard a few of the errors are caused by iTunes 7.6, but i'm not too sure about that. Personally i'd uninstall iTunes, reinstall with iTunes 7.5 and try a manual DFU restore. I sont think it's a damaged Hardware problem, but i do think it's a messed up Baseband problem as it's the Baseband that runs the Wifi, Edge, Phone, SMS etc....
    Modding my iPhone since Feb 08! lol

If anything i say helps you, please click the thanks button!

Thanks for the reply. I will try a new version of iTunes as soon as I get home.

My phone has baseband 4.6? Is that right?

Is there a way to flash a stock one back on the phone to correct the corrupt one?

What's Jailbreak? MasterXXXShake's Avatar
    Thanks

It's almost definitely a baseband issue.

I'm sure you've tried all these steps, but try following these steps.

1. Use ZiPhone 2.6 to "Refurbish" your phone.
    2. Sometimes the Refurbish doesn put the phone is DFU mode for me. If it doesn't manually put the phone in DFU mode.
    2. Use Latest iTunes to Shift-Restore to 1.1.4. Make sure you aren't using an older firmware ipsw.

Hopefully you have a jailed and locked and working iphone.

I just tried to refurbish, it said "Downgrading Bootloader to 3.9" and text started streaming on my iPhone. It than get to a point where I think it said something about EEROM, than "Hm, this is bad" then
    Attempt...
    Attempt...
    Attempt...
    etc.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Hissta View Post
    I just tried to refurbish, it said "Downgrading Bootloader to 3.9" and text started streaming on my iPhone. It than get to a point where I think it said something about EEROM, than "Hm, this is bad" then
    Attempt...
    Attempt...
    Attempt...
    etc.

Any ideas?
    Hi,

One other thing you culd try is to use iPlus instead of Ziphone. Some people that ave problems seem to be better of with iPlus.

Restore once more to 1.1.4 in iTunes and download iPlus from http://ipluspwns.com and after that unzip the kit. Also download the International payload from the same site.

Remove the default payload.zip file and rename the international payload file to payload.zip and put it in the directory were you unzipped the files.

After this you need to open up a command prompt and change directory to the directory were you unzipped the files.

Make sure that you exit iTunes and killes the itunes helper application.

Next step is to connect the iPhone and run the following command.

iplus -u

I hope this solves everything for you.

I tried again same thing.
    It says "AppleMRVL868x:Invalid calibration data in device tree."

Green Apple
    Thanks

hmmmm that doesnt look good.... Is it just saying Attempt in a continual loop or is it saying something different... I'm not sure what effect restarting your iPhone would have now, and i dont want to say do something incase it does brick your phone.

If you've already rebooted your phone, when you attach it to your computer, is it still recognised by iTunes? If so, try to do a restore to 1.1.4 and let iTunes download the file for you (Dont do a Shift+Restore) and see if that cures the Repair Needed problem. If it does, give iPlus a go.

I had to put it into DFU mode, and iTunes recognized it. It will patch the software, but will still error out on the firmware again I think.

This means I will still be in recovery mode, or if I let iBricker "repair it" it will put me on the activation screen with the "Repair needed message."

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not sure if this will help you, but give it a read over and see what you can do.

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=34713

Someone seems to have sorted the problem BUT it does seems complex, and i'm posting the link to the site because there does seem to be a lot of information on there. Again, anything suggested on there is done at your own risk and i'm meerly pointing you to something that MAY help. So give it a read over and see if it fits with your problems.