Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I have tried to do my research, but I just need some help...

Default I have tried to do my research, but I just need some help...
    I have been reading this forum, trying all sorts of different methods to get this new iPhone jailbroken and activated for nearly 5 hours now, so I apologize for the newbie-ness. I bought this thing with the intent of only using it as an iPod touch with camera. I don't have a need for the phone features at all right now. So, I started with a firmware 1.1.1. I thought I got it jailbroken, because I saw the appinstaller and was able to install a few things. However, a few times it would come back to the activate screen. So, I did a restore in iTunes and then tried ZiPhone (the latest version). I see it complete successfully, but the iPhone still appears to be unactivated.

So, I guess I should just state my goal, and hope someone can give me the right set of steps to take.

I would like to be on the latest iPhone firmware I can (which I suppose is 1.1.4). I don't care about the SIM...in fact, if there is a way to just keep the SIM out of the phone, that is fine with me. I would like the phone to be jailbroken and activated.

Thank you all so much for your help.

ok. Put your phone in recovery mode to upgrade. (To enter recovery mode, press and hold the Power button and the Home button when the iphone has a blank screen stop holding the the power button but keep holding the home button and conect to the conputer the apple logo wil show up keep pressing the home buttons then the conecto to itunes will show and itunes will open and tell your your Iphone is in recovery mode) Now restore click on restore. wait untinl it restores, go to Ziphone.org and download the latest version and ruin it. Tell me if it works

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bebeboricua For This Useful Post:

gjlowe (2008-03-22)

Brilliant! This worked. The only two things I did differently this time were running ZiPhone from my Windows box, and having the SIM card inserted. Probably the latter is what made it work. THANKS!

Now do I have to keep the SIM card in even if I don't want to use the phone?

you can take the sim card off. A message will show but it will go fast.