Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Basic iPhone Hacking questions before I begin...

Question Basic iPhone Hacking questions before I begin...
    Hello guys. I have an 8 GB iPhone That I purchased the first day they came out. It currently has firmware 1.0.2 on it and I'm using iTunes version 7.3.2.6. If I click on the button to check for firmware update, it states that I already have the most up to date version (1.0.2, not 1.1.1).

Is this based on the fact that I am using iTunes 7.3.2.6?

I have read a lot on the process of modding the iPhone, but have been hesitant to try it yet. Before I begin, can someone verify for me that this is correct...

Use apptap to install installer.app. This will jailbreak for me allowing me to install themes, etc. Is this correct?

If so, is my iTunes version and firmware the correct combo, and is there a need to go to 1.1.1?

I rely on my phone and cannot afford it to be bricked. I just want to be sure I have things set up correctly before I start. I basically just want a new theme.

Thanks for the help. I know this is all covered here, but I just want to be sure I am reading things and understanding them correctly before I begin.

Thanks again

if you want to put mods on your phone, stick with 1.0.2, why it isnt asking for an update shouldnt be based on your itunes version, but its possible. If you upgrade , you would need to downgrade to 1.0.2, another person on this board posted that he was having problems with the downgrade, ive also heard of new phones having problems jailbreaking (not bricking, just problems). Yes you would use apptapp or ibrickr to get into your phone, read stickies for more info, i would recommend ibrickr. modding doesnt 'brick' your iphone, as there are ways to restore. Im sure in extremely rare instances it could brick, but very unlikely if you follow the instructions. Unlocking your phone (meaning using it with other carriers however, do not hold the same warnining) this + mods could cause brickage to my knowledge.

hope that helps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arthursdomain For This Useful Post:

facialcrunch (2007-10-22)

Default Thank you!
    Thank you for the help arthursdomain. That really tied things together for me.