Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ssh not working

Default ssh not working
    Hi everyone i have a strange problem with connecting to ssh though this is first time i am trying to connect but this is really important for any sort of edit on my iphone, i have been banging my head around the web to get a solution but everything i tried didnt really helped me

I tried to connect through wifi using Cyberduck and WinSCP but iam just getting error messages like "connection failed" in cyberduck and "server unexpectedly closed network connections" in winSCP

>Tried to connect through USB using iTunnel but getting the same error messages
    >Took off my wifi security that didnt help
    >Took off the firewall settings on my pc, it didnt help
    >Tried to ping my iphone and its working fine there are zero packet loss
    >re-installed everything again and again with no luck
    >very sure of using the right server(ip address) username and password that is "root" and "alpine"

i dont really think i missed out any of the options to connect ssh but nothing is working out, please help me with this as i am loosing my cool

i-phone IOS 4.1 baseband 06.15
    pc OS windows vista 86x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

alisyedazam (2011-10-02)

Is your iPhone jailbroken?
    Have you installed openssh from Cydia?

USB via iTunnel can be quite tricky - it may "just work" or could take hours of head-scratching.
    I'd suggest you try WiFi first and get that working.

Also MobileTerminal in Cydia - is extremely handy for troubleshooting and debugging.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

alisyedazam (2011-10-02)

I have already been through this iclarified page long back on "How to SSH Into Your iPhone Using WinSCP (Windows)"

i did every single little thing mentioned on this page but i keep getting the same error message "connection failed"

As i said i did everthing but nothing is working out

Yes my iphone is jailbroken and openssh is installed from cydia

Firstly i tried getting wifi work for ssh but it never happened so i got furstrated and tried the other option of USB
    i would surely try to work with MobileTerminal and see if it is of any help

my problem still remains the same SSH NOT WORKING either through wifi or usb
    Last edited by alisyedazam; 2011-10-02 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Have you generated the keys from mobile terminal ?

Quote Originally Posted by alisyedazam View Post
    Firstly i tried getting wifi work for ssh but it never happened so i got furstrated and tried the other option of USB
    i would surely try to work with MobileTerminal and see if it is of any help

my problem still remains the same SSH NOT WORKING either through wifi or usb
    USB is a speedier connection, but WiFi is easier to get going. Doesn't hurt to try both.

If openssh package is installed, are you sure that sshd is running?
    Get SBSettings if you don't have it already, then check the SSH toggle in SBSettings.
    Get nmap (for Windows, and also install on your iPhone)

• Run 'ssh localhost' in mobileterminal to see if it can connect to itself.
    • ssh to your iPhone's WiFi address in mobileterminal to see if it can connect to itself over the net
    • Run 'nmap localhost' in mobileterminal, 'nmap $WiFi', and also from Windows (to the WiFi address) and see if they report the same

These will give some hints as to where the problem is.