Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick Jailbreaking Question. iPhone 4

Default Quick Jailbreaking Question. iPhone 4
    Hi guys, I bet this has been posted on here before so I do apologize, I have tried using the search engine on this site and also google but I am having no luck at all so I hope someone on here could please help.

I am reasonably experienced with jailbreaking as I have jailbroken my old 3G and 3GS.

I have just purchased an iPhone 4 running 4.3.5 Baseband version 04.10.01.

The buyer said it was 'officially unlocked by 02' as I need the unlock to use it on Vodafone.

My question is, what is the best way to jailbreak it? and also keep the unlock? I dont mind downgrading down to 4.3.3 or lower if it is necessary?. I also wouldn't mind having it tethered, but I would obviously prefer not too.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

You can jailbreak with redsnow but it is a tethered jailbreak on 4.3.5. If you have 4.3.3 SHSH you can downgrade and get a untethered jailbreak but without SHSH you won't be able to downgrade.

Thanks for getting back to me simon.

I'm not sure if I have 4.3.3 SHSH and I don't mind having a tethered jailbreak as I never turn my phone off.

If I jailbreaked it with redsnow will it keep my unlock?. I hate to ask but is there a guide anywhere for this?.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,645 Times in 8,025 Posts

Yes your unlock will be fine if you jailbreak with redsnow. I suggest using the latest redsnow 0.9.9b1. It is a beta but is much easier to use then other versions of redsnow, especially if you do need to reboot.

Odds are if you bought it will 4.3.5 your out of luck being able to downgrade. However like previously said the new redsnow will give you a tether.

As a side note, I have the same situation as you and thought I would be okay with a tethered jailbreak, but it has been a pain. On two occasions my phone (brand new by the way) has shutoff on it's own out of no where both times while in my pocket. So I was without a phone for te entire day at work. Kind of sucked.

Great stuff, I did it and it worked perfectly. Thanks very much for that Simon I really appreciate it.

Ill see how I get on with mine phatcamaro and hope it doesn't randomly reboot. I guess we just have to wait for ios5.

Thanks again.