Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS shuts off randomly to DFU mode....

Exclamation iPhone 3GS shuts off randomly to DFU mode....
    I did the dumbest thing in the world of the weekend. And that was to upgrade my iPhone 3GS's baseband to the iPad's 6.15.01 baseband. I'm having significant troubles just to get it on. I also go the horrible error 28 and had to open up my 3GS and seperate the motherboard from the battery for an hour and 30 minutes to fix error 28. Thank god it did fix error 28. Well I restored my iPhone 3GS to 4.3.3 (custom ipsw i made in snowbreeze) and it restored.

It restored in iTunes with no problems at all, but after it was finish restoring it went straight into a DFU loop. I used redsn0w 0.9.9.b1 to 'Just Boot Now' and it loaded all the way to the springboard. (which i haven't seen my springboard in 3 days.) Then after using my phone for awhile, I was extremely happy I had it working then I locked it into sleep mode (just by pressing the power button) and went off to do some other things.

When I came back to my phone, I tried to unlock it and it wouldn't unlock.... screen was black. I plug it into my computer and find it's in DFU mode... then after trying to restore in itunes.... I GET ERROR 28 AGAIN AND HAVE TO OPEN UP MY IPHONE3GS AND RESTART THE PROCESS.... haha well after everything was good again... it shut off again. AND I HAD TO OPEN IT UP AGAIN FOR THE 3RD TIME!

Does anyone know what's wrong with my iPhone3GS?... please please please help thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

A custom firmware was your best restore choice. Error 28 indicates a hardware problem.

I would try an different version, like 4.1 ... or even better 3.1.3 (if you have blobs for 3.1.3). There are fewer OS checks back in the good old days . It might work.

I don't have blob's for any firmware :/ Also whenever I try to install 4.1 or 4.2 it installs, goes straight to DFU mode, and when I try to boot up with redsnow my phone will either get stuck at the pineapple logo OR as soon as the pineapple logo shows up the screen will turn black going into DFU mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You mean to say , it goes into dfu mode even you restore to stock 4.1 firmware, it this is the case, you have a hardware issue.

No, I can't restore to stock firmware because I've upgraded to the iPad's baseband and there's no current downgrade :/
    It just goes into DFU for no reason at all after I've restored it and I get the error 28 hardware issue all over again.

Thanks

Yes, you can restore to stock 4.1 and use exit recovery from TU to kick it out.

I've tried that. Whenever restoring to stock firmware i get a 1015 error that's impossible to get rid of. If I kick it out of recovery mode, it will proceed to the apple logo and linger there for sometime, then reboot into recovery mode with the itunes logo. Then if i kick it out of recovery, it does the same thing over and over again. Also, if i try to jailbreak it in DFU mode after I've installed stock firmware, something always goes wrong with the jailbreak.

For example when I installed stock firmware of 4.2.1, redsnow loaded everything fine on my computer, then on my iPhone while everything is loading, 'Please Wait' pops up and just keeps on spamming that all over the screen forever.

Thanks

After reading what you have done, you have a hardware problem, sell it as parts , you are SOL