Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3Gs--what appears to be an increase in battery drain isolated to WiFi

Default Iphone 3Gs--what appears to be an increase in battery drain isolated to WiFi
    late model 3Gs JB with greenpoision 16Gb.

All seems to work fine but recently noticed that the battery drain seems significanlty higher than I remember in the past.

Have been conditioning battery with Battery Pro Manager app for some time and only requiring a charge every other day--moderate cell usage-GSM only, 3G turned off along with push notifications and apps that use location services. Not in airplane mode nor is the GPS receiver turned off--not necessary or desirable.

With WiFi on, I might get 8 hours before a charge is required. With it off, the drain is considerable lower, currently usage is 3 hours since last charge with WiFi off a few calls, I still at 97%.

Have noticed one particual anomoly, neighbors WiFi continues to appear even though I continue to select forget this network. One will return randomly for a few minutes then it goes away. The other WiFi it sees simply won't go away at all and there is NO forget this network displayed whenever I click on it as with the other network. I have automatically connect disabled. I can't make this wireless router go away. My signal strength for the WAP downstairs is quite -60 dBm uptairs and -40 downstairs and the upstairs router (Uverse Gateway) is the same, upstaris -40's and down stairs -60's. The neighbors is -70's or weaker.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to make the one neighbor's router go away for good, it's protected so I can't nor do I want to connect to it. I have all the signal I need but I am now at the point of having to turn on and off WiFi throughout the day to convserve battery which I don't ever recall having to do before.

Finally, I did purchase and install TruPrint from Cydia--a great wireless printer tool that NEVER has any issues finding my network printer--other pgms were really erratic and usually did not work. I am now wondering if that could possibly have anything to do with this problem. That software was pretty expensive as Apps go >$9.00 US.

Thanks for any assistance or feedback!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's easy to tell if TruPrint is causing an issue. Uninstall it and test.

Another Cydia tweak could be interfering as well. Try resetting network settings.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

jerrykb (2011-09-23)

Mes,

Much thanks for the input--yea I guess I could try that but I forgot to mention that I did reset the network settings and the neighbor's hotspot still keeps coming back--annoying but maybe not that much of an issue. I'll un-install Tru-print and post back to this forum--I sure hope that's not it--I haven't found a wireless network printer app that is reliably works.

Thanks

In your wifi settings make sure your ask to join networks is turned off!...yeah u will still see the network if u go in to look, but ur phone shouldn't care about it or use battery on it.

Yeah...most likely caused by an app gone awry...if the truprint doesn't pan out, maybe try to turn off or delete your email accounts and see if that helps, then add back in..

I've read that can cause it simerimes
    Last edited by xboxbml; 2011-09-23 at 04:36 AM.

Yes it is turned off but it seems odd that only that one rogue wireless router is the only one that doesn't go away nor does it offer me the option to Forget this network.

Thanks unseen for your comments and suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    It's easy to tell if TruPrint is causing an issue. Uninstall it and test.

Another Cydia tweak could be interfering as well. Try resetting network settings.
    Mes, as I indicated, previously, I would post the results of the tests.
    I uninstalled TruPrint and it did not seem to make a huge difference but certainly seem to be a contributor. The biggest cause was WiFi. Turning this off I was able to see rather significant improvement in battery depletion over a specified time frame as opposed to it being on for the same period. That doesn't seem quite right since WiFi is a critical part of the iPhone feature pack. Apparently, there is no power control in the 802.11 standards, so client and servers transmit at full power regardless
    of the received signal at the phone from the router or AP.

With 55% indicated battery capacity remaining and WiFi off, no phone calls, I was able to mke it ~ 12 hours over night effectively in stand- by mode with ~ 2% remaining battery this AM. That soul roughly equate to ~ 24 hours in the same mode. That doesn't appear impressive either.

I suppose I could restore back to stock 4.2.1, JB again then only select to install the limited required Cydia apps and try that.

Any comments or feedback would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by jerrykb; 2011-09-23 at 05:29 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wifi, 3G, and the screen are the biggest battery drains. Typically, if WiFi is on, and not connected ... the additional drain is not too noticeable. If there is a problem with the WiFi circuit or the controlling software, it could be trying to connect or retry too frequently.