Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS 4.3.1 (8G4) 05.16.02 - Easiest Option / Walkthrough

Default 3GS 4.3.1 (8G4) 05.16.02 - Easiest Option / Walkthrough
    Looking to just unlock but if i have to jailbreak then sure.

Could someone help me run through the process of what i have to do? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks much in ADVANCED!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Jailbreak iOS 4.3.1 Untethered iPhone, iPad, iPod touch with Redsn0w 0.9.6 [How To] | Redmond Pie

Your baseband is likely not unlockable considering you are on unjailbroken 4.3.1 so after jb, run the same tool redsn0w again but select only to upgrade the baseband. This might break your GPS so be aware of that.

Do not try to jb and upgrade the baseband at the same time.

After bb upgrade install Ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

kurabii (2011-09-21)

this is for the use of pwn on an apple, is there a windows alternative? Thanks much!

Untether iOS 4.3.1 Jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.6rc9 [How-To Video Tutorial] | Redmond Pie
    Last edited by kurabii; 2011-09-21 at 05:39 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

It says redsn0w. Redsn0w is for both windows or mac

just reading all the warnings ive gathered that it says if im looking for a carrier unlock to stay away from redsn0w.

the tutorial listed above by you has a further video tutorial. so basically i have 4.3.1 on it right now. I guess maybe its overwhelming because there are so many tutorials out there and sadly so much information to digest.

my take on this, could i just jailbreakme.com it and install something through cydia to unlock it? or do i have to jailbreak with redsnow? is it best to use the exact version they list in the tutorial? is there a windows based jb/unlock?

The disclaimer -

NOTE: Those of you who rely on a carrier unlock MUST STAY AWAY from Redsn0w and stock iOS 4.3.1 firmware. Instead, use PwnageTool (on Mac) or Sn0wbreeze (on Windows).

in a Nut shell does that mean if i am relying on a tmobile unlock am i in trouble here?
    Last edited by kurabii; 2011-09-21 at 05:59 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

That's why I said you have to upgrade the bb. Only people who have unlockable basebands need to avoid redsn0w. You're already on 4.3.1, your baseband is already not unlockable. You can use redsn0w just fine, you also need it anyway to upgrade the baseband.

You can't use jailbreakme bc you're not on 4.3.3. If you want to use it you need SHSHs for 4.3.3. Even then jailbreakme is for stock 4.3.3 which means the baseband won't be preserved, not like you need to preserve your baseband anyhow.

I gave you what you requested, the best option to jailbreak and unlock your device and the tutorial is linked above for you.

i will run through this once i am home - do i have to uninstall the itunes i have? and download the exact version of itunes and exact version of redsnow? thanks

""" 2) Now Restore your iOS device to iOS 4.3.1 firmware. Use iTunes 10.2.1, download it from the link at the end of this post."""

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

As long as iTunes is the updated latest version it should be fine. Your device is already on 4.3.1 though, you can skip the restore process. Simply jump to the Redsn0w process

ok let me run this over in my head. please be a bit more patient. Ill follow this process and it will repackage my 4.3.1 with jailbroken ios and installing cydia will allow me to download packages but where does the unlock come from? i need this in theory lol to break down so i dont mid-jailbreak!

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Re-read my previous post with the link for full detail. Essentially it outlines that the baseband needs to be upgraded. To do so use redsn0w again after initial jb. Then in Cydia install Ultrasn0w to unlock after the bb upgrade.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

kurabii (2011-09-21)

**Original Response to my Post**

Your baseband is likely not unlockable considering you are on unjailbroken 4.3.1 so after jb, run the same tool redsn0w again but select only to upgrade the baseband. This might break your GPS so be aware of that.
    Do not try to jb and upgrade the baseband at the same time.
    After bb upgrade install Ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock.

- In the redsn0w tutorial i dont see upgrade bb. is that the 6.15 ipad baseband? so after i jailbreak with the tutorial above i go through the process of upgrading baseband. is it in the new redsn0w? just a check box i upgrade?

couldnt i just upgrade 4.3.1 with original run through jailbreak and just check box - Install Cydia and Install ipad bb

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

The tutorial doesn't cover it. That's why I wrote it out for you. It's quite simple, after jb simply run redsn0w again, and instead of select Cydia just select the bb upgrade box.

And as I've mentioned before do not attempt to do both Cydia and bb upgrade at the same time. It will not work and it will not be good for your phone.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

kurabii (2011-09-21)

cool thanks! one last question! RedSn0w 0.9.9b1 is the latest. is it recommended to use the one in the tutorial or latest?

Download RedSn0w 0.9.9b1 | iPhoneHeat

Excited to go home and check this

hahaha a$$hole move again i know but one more question, what is the point of loading the firmware 4.3.1 ipsw prior to being able to augment the iOS or iphone? does it match software or code on there to play nice - pre-existing on the phone?

i guess just trying to wrap my head around the reason of re-adding/browsing for the ips again. thanks much in advanced and have fun studying. I have night class tomorrow night

just received the phone. he cleared everything which is fine but it will only make emergency calls, so i will have to restore with 4.3.1 correct? i shouldnt have any issues if i restore with shift held down and correct firmware downloaded from trusted repository?
    Last edited by kurabii; 2011-09-21 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Trigger or activate iPhone into Homescreen with a valid sim and jailbreak with Jailbreakme.com 3.0 from safari on your iPhone at IOS 4.3.1

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

kurabii (2011-09-21)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If it's on the emergency call screen you don't need to restore you just jailbreak it. However it concerns mean that if it is at that screen, you should be absolutely sure it is still on 4.3.1 and not 4.3.5, bc that means the phone has been restored as of recent. iPhones only restore to current fw versions without SHSHs which right now is 4.3.5 in which the jb is tethered and quite frankly, buggy.

So if it is really on 4.3.1 (you can check with f0recast) then don't try to restore it to 4.3.1 again. Just jb it with redsn0w.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

kurabii (2011-09-21)

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    The tutorial doesn't cover it. That's why I wrote it out for you. It's quite simple, after jb simply run redsn0w again, and instead of select Cydia just select the bb upgrade box.

And as I've mentioned before do not attempt to do both Cydia and bb upgrade at the same time. It will not work and it will not be good for your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Trigger or activate iPhone into Homescreen with a valid sim and jailbreak with Jailbreakme.com 3.0 from safari on your iPhone at IOS 4.3.1
    annie just sold me on the tutorial and am going to follow it to a "T" but i had a few questions,

cool thanks! one last question! RedSn0w 0.9.9b1 is the latest. is it recommended to use the one in the tutorial or latest?

hahaha a$$hole move again i know but one more question, what is the point of loading the firmware 4.3.1 ipsw prior to being able to augment the iOS or iphone? does it match software or code on there to play nice - pre-existing on the phone?

i guess just trying to wrap my head around the reason of re-adding/browsing for the ips again. thanks much in advanced and have fun studying. I have night class tomorrow night

just received the phone. he cleared everything which is fine but it will only make emergency calls, so i will have to restore with 4.3.1 correct? i shouldnt have any issues if i restore with shift held down and correct firmware downloaded from trusted repository?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

+1, @Annie , the op probably has 4.3.5

24. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

kurabii (2011-09-21)

Add this to the Awkward pile! i just hooked it up to computer to F0rcast it and the emergency screen went away. it now is on the general screen. 4.3.1 - bb 05.16.02

so Itunes has to be current and redsn0w can be current! im going to do it now. ill run tinyumbrella in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by kurabii View Post
    annie just sold me on the tutorial and am going to follow it to a "T" but i had a few questions,

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    +1, @Annie , the op probably has 4.3.5

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SOLVED

I am testing texting and everything right now
    Thanks guys, repped

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast