Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethered Jailbreak and Gevey Ultra

Question Tethered Jailbreak and Gevey Ultra
    Alright guys, I'm new here, but I did my homework already and searched here and other places on the internet; no questions were answered.

Here's my story with the question at the end of it:

I bought my wife an iPhone 4, it came with 4.3.5 and 4.10.01. I also bought the Gevey SIM Ultra to unlock it. I was jailbreaking the iPhone using RedSn0w method (tethered), and after rebooting, etc., I followed the steps to unlock it using the methods described on Gevey's website. No luck. No matter how many times I tried, I could not get it to work.

Finally, I decided to start from zero, went back to stock 4.3.5 and DID NOT TRY TO JAILBREAK, instead I just went straight to unlocking it manually. IT WORKED!!!!

So, now my question is: does anybody have any experience using Gevey on a tethered jailbroken iPhone? Is it even possible? Now that it's unlocked with the Gevey card, can I jailbreak the phone with out it messing up everything?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Since 4.3.5 is a tethered jailbreak, i suggest you go without a jailbreak for now.

How did you get past the "a different sim has been inserted" message?

I'm bringing this one out of the dead since it's related.

I have an iPhone 4 running 4.3.5 on baseband 04.10.01 which was working well with a Gevey Ultra SIM.

I jailbroke it, intent on saving the SHSH blobs, but ever since the jailbreak, Gevey doesn't work & seems to be interrupted or over-ridden. I'd like to essentially UNjailbreak my phone if possible but I'm not sure how to go about doing that without jeopardizing my baseband.

I have no SHSH blobs, an unactivated, locked, jailbroken, iphone 4 running 4.3.5

I'm sure there's a solution but I'm too tired to risk this any longer so I'm reaching out to you guys - what's my plan of attack?

You hafta use Ifaith to pull the blob from your current firmware and build a ipsw. Then you can do a factory restore to 4.3.5 with that.

Quote Originally Posted by stargtsi View Post
    You hafta use Ifaith to pull the blob from your current firmware and build a ipsw. Then you can do a factory restore to 4.3.5 with that.
    Hey, thanks for responding.

I'm on Mac so - I think - instead of iFaith I want to use TinyUmbrella, right? That was the initial reason I applied the JailBreak - at the time I thought it needed to be Jailbroken to save the SHSH blobs.

My problem is TinyUmbrella's only able to find an SHSH blob for iOS 5.1 (even though I'm currently on 4.3.5? Is that possible?). Am I doing something wrong?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by half.asleep View Post
    Hey, thanks for responding.

I'm on Mac so - I think - instead of iFaith I want to use TinyUmbrella, right? That was the initial reason I applied the JailBreak - at the time I thought it needed to be Jailbroken to save the SHSH blobs.

My problem is TinyUmbrella's only able to find an SHSH blob for iOS 5.1 (even though I'm currently on 4.3.5? Is that possible?). Am I doing something wrong?
    TU and I faith save their shsh blobs differently. TU only saves your shsh blobs from the currently signed apple firmware which is 5.1 at the moment. If you didn't save the previous ones then there is no way to get them through TU. i faith on the other hand can actually pull the shsh blobs from your firmware currently on your device so you can use them to make a custom firmware to restore to.

Use I faith to pull the shsh blobs from your 4.3.5 firmware and create a custom firmware to preserve your baseband. Restore to it and performed the jailbreak and then use the Gevey to unlock your device
    Last edited by ihappy; 2012-04-05 at 05:29 PM.