Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unable to Restore or even use iPhone 3g

Default Unable to Restore or even use iPhone 3g
    Hello, i have a iPhone 3g 8GB and every time i turn it on, it just goes straight to recovery mode. before it did this, it just had the boot logo for a little then turned off. i did something (i dunno what) and now it just goes to the recovery logo. I plug it into itunes, then shift-restore to a custom 4.2.1 FW(so i can preserve the baseband). It says extracting software, then preparing iphone for restore. It just gets stuck on preparing iphone for restore then the iPhone "iPhone" couldnt be restored. unknown error, 1604. Please help!

EDIT: the phone currently IS PWNED, i used pwnagetool a long time ago (i remember and it still has the custom boot logo).
    Last edited by Yahnbaron; 2011-09-13 at 11:00 PM. Reason: phone's pwned, unlocked

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

You must put your iPhone into pwned dfu mode. Use redsnow b8, browse to stock 4.2.1 fw, choose only option set iPhone into pwned dfu mode prior restoring to cfw of 4.2.1
    Here is the file MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

the phone is pwned, and when i put it into dfu, i restored and it said that the required software wasnt installed(i reinstalled itunes beta 8 after it said this), even though it was. apple mobile device support is still installed, i checked.

Can anyone help?

bump.....
    Last edited by Yahnbaron; 2011-09-14 at 01:00 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yahnbaron View Post
    ...i reinstalled itunes beta 8 after it said this...
    Did you try using the official released version of iTunes? Beta versions are for developers to find and fix bugs.

No, but i finally got it restored. idk why, it just worked this time. But now, im facing a problem where the phone cant even detect a wifi network. No, it isnt an a or n, just g. yes, i did restore the phone as a new phone. yes i tried to reset network settings, and no, it still doesnt work. there are multiple other family members who can successfully connect with their iphones every day. I dont know what im doing wrong

Bump. Can someone help?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Firstly, always setup as new iPhone after restoring and jailbreak.
    If you restored to custom fw, then I suggest you restore to a newly created custom firmware again.
    You can also restore to stock 4.2.1 (if unlock is not needed ) , don't do any jailbreak yet, test out your wifi. This is to see if you have a wifi hardware problem.
    If you do need unlock or still have unlockable bb, then restore to 3.1.3 ( bb is still unlockable ) and check your wifi connection.

OK, i have figured out that this IS a HW problem. What new part do i need to buy for this phone?