Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Decrease in battery life on my Iphone 3G after Jailbreaking

Default Decrease in battery life on my Iphone 3G after Jailbreaking
    I recently jailbreaked my Iphone 3G using RedSnow. After doing this I noticed a severe decrease in battery life. Is this due to the jailbreaking itself or the apps installed through Cydia. I have SB Settings, WiFi Analyzer, CyDelete installed. I also chose developer in the initial set up. Was that a mistake and is that an issue with battery life. Under packages I have tons of apps installed that I did not do. Where did they come from and can I delete some of these. If so, which one's are critical to retaining the jailbreak/Unlock. Thanks for any suggestions.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Did you activate with an official SIM? If you enable Push Notifications, do they work?
    Users without an official SIM normally use SAM. (Subscriber Artificial Module)

I did not activate with an official sim. Will it stay jailbroken and unlocked if you do this. Do I just borrow an AT&T sim card to do this in Itunes. I am using it like an Ipod touch. Also considering going to TMobile and using my Iphone on there network. It is asking me to activate every so often. What exactly does SAM mean. What is the real cause of my battery life going way down. Thanks for the quick informative response.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

An authorized SIM is used at the very beginning, to activate and get Apples certificates. It doesn't effect any jailbreak or unlocked status.

Will this improve my battery life. Does unlocking & jailbreaking unactivate my iPhone. Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It may. That's why I asked if Push Notifications worked when it is enabled. If Push works, this will have no effect. If it doesn't, it may help.

I did have Push turned off as I thought that could be causing my battery problems. I got a hold of an AT&T sim card and as soon as I put it in and connected to Itunes the phone said it was activated. Hopeful this improves the problem. The battery was draining so fast, especially when using the internet. It was never doing this when I was using the Phone as an Ipod touch, prior to jailbreaking. Thanks for any additional tips.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Exdellent! The official activation message
    Push Notifications set to on WILL decrease battery life, so turn it off. It's a personal choice and not necessary.

In the future If you ever decide to restore, using an official sim to activate saves a lot of time and headaches.

Today when I activated it was with an official active AT&T sim card. The battery life seems a little better, but I don't know if it is a big improvement. Why do I have so many things listed under packages and is this hurting my battery life. What part of the jailbreak/Unlock process hurts battery life, and why? I have now turned off push. Is there certain time frames that you should get out of a full charged battery? It probably depends on what you are doing. Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's hard to say. Some days I'll go 24 hours, others maybe 6.

I would be very happy to get a full day out of medium use. Any other suggestions for trying to minimize battery drain. Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Only the obvious. Turn off wifi, bluetooth when not needed. Dim the screen to your acceptable minimum. Allow it to lock / sleep quickly.

The battery life still is not great. I do not think it is Push, WiFi, Bluetooth or any other tweak. It is totally from Jail breaking my Iphone. I was using the Internet for about 2 hrs starting with a full charge and then it was
    down to 20%. Using the Internet on WiFi really is draining the battery. What specifically with the Jailbreak negatively effect the battery. Why have I got so many packages installed in Cydia. That is probably from choosing developer in the beginning. I was thinking about using T-Mobile with my Iphone, but now I am hesitant as I need some decent battery life. I will not be using the Internet as long as I was today, but I will be browsing from time to time. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Are you sure your battery is in good shape ....?!!??

How would I know if the battery is going south. I never had the battery % showing before now, therefore I maybe paying more attention to the drain of the battery. Is it possible that it may not be due to the jailbreak? If I get Tmobile service with Edge 2G coverage am I likely to have even worse battery life due to making calls and texts? Thanks.

I have reset all settings on the phone to see if that helps. If I have the phone charged to 100%. Then I shut it down and reboot, and then it says 95%. How could it lose 5% just by loading up? I guess this is all leading to restoring the phone, but then I cannot use it on T mobile.

I think my battery life is improving. I charged the Iphone over night and it started at 100%. It does not seem to lose charge as quickly when browsing. I did notice when I used Atomic web browser it is constantly loading even when it seems like the website has loaded. This looks like it would drain it faster. I think doing a reset all really helped and doing a full charge over night. I am going to let the battery drain down to 20% and then I will post my usage stats. I still think it is due to jailbreaking the phone, but hard to pinpoint the exact cause. There is no app for tracking usage patterns (Internet, email, phone call time patterns)? Thanks for your help and I will let you know the usage pattern soon.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

In Cydia there a free BatteryInfo lite that provide some details about the battery. Other than that, I'm unaware of a statistics gathering app to track battery usage.

Thanks for the quick tip. Having my Cydia set up as a developer Vs User is that of any use to me, or is it just a waste? I will check out battery Info?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your welcome. No effect except when using Cydia. I prefer the dev mode personally.