Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3Gs (Old Bootrom) iOS 3.1 BB 05.11.07 - Where can I go from here?

Default iPhone 3Gs (Old Bootrom) iOS 3.1 BB 05.11.07 - Where can I go from here?
    Hi everyone. I'm brand new to modmyi, but I can already see that it's a fantastic resource and a great community. I hope you guys will be able to help me.

I have an iPhone 3Gs 16GB essentially as it was when it was new (never updated) and no additional apps installed. The specifications are as follows:

Version (Firmware): 3.1 (7C144)
    Model: MB715LL
    Modem Firmware (Baseband): 05.11.07
    Bootloader: 6.4_M3S2
    Bootroom (iBoot): IBOOT-359.3 ==> "Old Bootrom"

I still have the original AT&T SIM, though it is no longer "provisioned."

iTunes version 10.3.1.55 currently on my PC.

I'm a new to jailbreaking/unlocking the iPhone. So I'm proceeding with caution and doing a lot of research before I select the method and tools I'm going to employ to first update, jailbreak and then unlock it. Ultimately, I want to use it on T-mobile. As I read articles and forum posts dealing with how to jailbreak and unlock the various versions of iOS, it's clear that their can be real trade-offs depending on the particular method(s) you employ.

I'm hoping their is someone here that can give me specific guidance on which version of iOS I can and should upgrade to (and whether or not I need to upgrade the baseband) at this point in time. Obviously, I would like to upgrade my iPhone to the point that gives me the greatest function and improvement, without hindering my ability to successfully jailbreak and unlock it.

Furthermore, I want to avoid causing any significant degradation of performance or loss of functionality.

I've read alot about the iOS "SHSH Signing directly by Apple" and the need to save your own unique SHSH Blobs for future firmware restores using Tiny Umbrella. I'm starting to understand it, but I'm still a bit confused. Could someone please explain the process by which the firmware and baseband is technically suppose to be upgraded with these SHSH signatures from Apple. As opposed to how you invoke Tiny Umbrella and the Cydia server to circumvent the normal restore process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't have time to help this evening. But I can advise one very important thing: always use a custom firmware built by Pwnage or Snowbreeze. A cfw retains your baseband and unlock. Any other method and it's gone forever.

I suggest reading the Tiny Umbrella link found in my signature. Good stuff and everything you need.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

singularity (2011-09-07)

Thanks for that Mes. The link is very helpful. Should I be planning on upgrading to iOS 4.1 along with BB 5.14.02 using the latest version of Snowbreeze? Or should I stay at BB 05.11.07? Is BB 5.14.02 unlockable with UltraSnow? Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Remember my first post. Custom firmware always!!!!
    A custom firmware does not change the baseband / modem firmware.
    5.14.00 is not good, it can not be unlocked.

Re-read post #1. There's a lot of info there for your situation.

I'll follow-up in the morning.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-09-06 at 09:14 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

singularity (2011-09-07)

Affirmative Mes. Thank you.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm back. Couldn't rest leaving you hanging ...

If order to restore ANY firmware iOS, SHSH blobs are needed for that version.
    4.2.1 needs a 4.2.1, 4.3.3 needs a 4.3.3, etc
    If you have a version SHSH blob, a custom firmware for it can be built.
    You will end up with the current baseband plus the new iOS. The perfect solution

Download and run Tiny Umbrella and see what SHSH blobs are available.

That's enough for now. I'm really leaving now. We'll chat later.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

singularity (2011-09-07)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

----- Restore details added below ----

To restore any non-current iOS (except 4.1), SHSH blobs for each version are required.
    In the General tab, look for 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 blobs. if available, you can restore to it.
    If 4.2.1 and 4.3.3 blobs do NOT exist, no option. The restore choice is iOS 4.1.

Download the correct firmware (4.1, 4.2.1, or 4.3.3),
    ... Snowbreeze version 2.1 (for iOS 4.1) or Snowbreeze version 2.7.1 (for iOS 4.2.1 or 4.3.3),
    ... and the latest Tiny Umbrella (TU)

Procedure:
    To restore 4.1: start TU, advanced tab, uncheck 'set Hosts to Cydia on exit' and exit TU.
    To restore 4.2.1 or 4.3.3: start TU, click TSS Server, verify TSS server running. Leave TU open.

Put the original AT&T SIM in the phone and connect to computer.
    Start Snowbreeze, select firmware, select Expert mode, 'uncheck' activate in General, Build IPSW...,
    ... continue with Snowbreeze, follow the timer carefully to enter 'pwnd-DFU'.
    Open iTunes, press shift and click restore. In new window select custom firmware (on the desktop).
    No errors should occur. Restored and jailbroken. Baseband is preserved.
    iTunes will activate if valid AT&T SIM. iPhone at Home screen.
    Run Cydia and install Ultrasnow to unlock. Insert active/working sim.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

singularity (2011-09-07)

Hi Mes,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back to this project sooner today, but I was getting pulled in a couple of different directions all day. Thank you for your prompt responses. They were very helpful. After reading your posts and rereading various other modmyi articles, etc. I realize my understanding was indeed correct. I've never done anything in the past with this iPhone that could have facilitated the saving of SHSH's. It's really ashame though, because I can see now how easy it would have been to save them. Alas, I wasn't using the device, and therefore, I had no obvious imperative to learn about all this stuff. Well, "what you don't know," may in fact not hurt you, but it sure can cause you headaches in the future!

Moving on...as of today, these are the SHSH's I've saved using Tiny Umbrella:

xxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone2,1-4.1.shsh
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone2,1-4.3.5.shsh (not a desirable upgrade)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone2,1-5.0b1.shsh (not a desirable upgrade)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone2,1-5.0b2.shsh (not a desirable upgrade)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone2,1-5.0b3.shsh (not a desirable upgrade)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone2,1-5.0b4.shsh (not a desirable upgrade)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone2,1-5.0b5.shsh (not a desirable upgrade)
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx-iphone2,1-5.0b6.shsh (not a desirable upgrade)

This is the SHSH for my current factory installed FW that I just saved using iFaith-v1.3.2:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_iPhone_3GS-3.1_(7C144)-blobs

So I currently have only one "good" jailbreak/unlock option. Restore a CFW version 4.1 while maintaining my 05.11.07 BB.

This is my FW download source from Apple (http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/06...7_Restore.ipsw)

From your previous post you said, "Procedure: To restore 4.1: start TU, advanced tab, uncheck 'set Hosts to Cydia on exit' and exit TU. To restore 4.2.1 or 4.3.3: start TU, click TSS Server, verify TSS server running. Leave TU open." Why the difference?

As a result, this procedure for 4.1 creates and then comments out entries in my hosts file as follows:

#74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

I'm a puzzled by this, because I'm unchecking a box that says, "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit (If you need a clean restore from Apple uncheck this box)." Won't this upgrade my baseband?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple does not make it easy to jailbreak, and its not getting any easier

When the original instructions were written, I did not know what version you could restore. So I included the three most common iOS versions. Your actual SHSH results show one (1) choice is available: 4.1

Use this: start TU, advanced tab, uncheck/unselect 'set Hosts to Cydia on exit' and exit TU.
    Now the iTunes 'request authorization to restore 4.1' is sent to Apple. Today, Apple responds: OK.

This has nothing to do with a baseband update, just the iOS version.
    Snowbreeze removes the baseband update when it creates the custom firmware.

Great questions. Take it slow and you will be fine.

Good luck.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

singularity (2011-09-07)

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that. I'm ready to move forward with the course of action you've outlined above. Thank you for your guidance. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out. I'm rather excited about this!

BTW, I'd be curious to know your thoughts about the following.

How to Downgrade iOS 4.3.5 firmware to iOS 4.3.3 without saved SHSH blobs

Downgrade 4.3.5 to 4.3.3 without SHSH Blobs - iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 4G, 3G, iPad
    Last edited by singularity; 2011-09-07 at 11:25 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I have seen this so-called no-SHSH procedure advertised on the net. Lots of hype and hope.
    It doesn't work! For the very few which it did, in reality they had prior blobs saved anyway.

Test if you want. MMi staff will only advise known working methods from well-respected developers.

Hi Mes,

I'm JB my iPhone tonight. I'm using Snowbreeze 2.1 to do the custom build for iOS 4.1. Can you explain whether or not I should select any of these under Advanced Mode -->General

Other Modifications
    ◦Install SSH: Enable Secure Shell on device to allow you send remote command to the device.

IPSW Options
    Make IPSW NOR-Only

Root Partition Size
    Default=820MB <-- should I alter this size
    Last edited by singularity; 2011-09-09 at 05:45 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

One (1) option you need to consider:

[H]activate. Check if you are NOT with an authorized Apple carrier.

Use the defaults for everything else.

Mes,

I still have the original AT&T SIM from when the iPhone was under contract. That's over and the SIM is no longer "provisioned." Can I still use it to activate the iPhone? I do have another active AT&T SIM that I use in a different phone that I could use to activate the iphone, if that would be better. However, as soon as it's unlocked, I'm putting a T-mobile SIM in it that I currently have in a third phone.

Back to the Snowbreeze Advanced Mode Settings. Do the defaults include installing Cydia and adding the afc2 file?

And just to be clear on the two ther modifications:

Install SSH: Enable Secure Shell on device to allow you to send remote command to the device.

IPSW Options
    Make IPSW NOR-Only

They're NOT selected by default under Advanced Mode -->General. And that's OK?
    Last edited by singularity; 2011-09-09 at 08:09 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Because you have an authorized sim to activate, uncheck [h]activate. This is important. The rest are not really important. Accept all other default options. Snowbreeze automatically includes a few important packages.

Note: install the authorized sim in before the iTunes restore and leave it installed until after the activation message is received.

Mes,

The 3Gs is in Pwned DFU Mode, iTunes has launched itself, and SnowBreeze is running iREB...
    iTunes has got a message box that reads, "iTunes must check the iPhone software update server to identify this device.
    ..."

It's asking me to CHECK or CANCEL. I'm assuming I need to allow it to for the signature?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That's normal when iTunes see a device in recovery or DFU mode. It's a quick check and nothing else.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

singularity (2011-09-10)

Hi Mes,

I just want to take this opportunity to thank you again for your help and guidance. Last night, I went ahead and created a jailbroken 4.1 custom IPSW that would preserve my original baseband. I restored and activated it on my iPhone with the original AT&T SIM. I then restored my data backup, installed Cydia, unlocked the phone, and popped in the T-Mobile SIM...voila! "It went like clock-work." There were no issues of any kind and everything works perfectly. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised, because I was half expecting to experience some of the problems others have reported here.

Needless to say, because of you and MMI, I was able to gain a much clearer understanding of the JB/restore and unlocking process. This is the most comprehensive, accessible and reponsive idevice technical forum on the net. I love it! And I'm telling everyone I know that's an iPhone/iPad devotee--"this is your one-stop source for iSolutions."

Of course, I've got another question for you. When the Cydia app launched for the first time, it presented me with a choice to select "Make my life easier." Answering yes allows the Cydia Cache Server to continue to secure for me future SHSH Blobs for each new iOS release that Apple signs. As I scrolled down the window, I DID NOT click on it before it was suddenly masked by a Cydia update request that I elected to take. The problem is I never got another opportunity to select the "Make my life easier" option. Is their anyway that you know of to accomplish this?

Regards, singularity

P.S.

I'm assuming I should allow iTunes to check for an update to the carrier settings. I don't think I should be enabling automatic checking for updates, as I don't want iTunes attempting unilaterally to ever update my firmware. In fact, I think I've found a tweak to iTunes that prevents it from ever attempting to update the firmware.
    Last edited by singularity; 2011-09-10 at 09:03 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thank your for the kind words singularity. We try at MMi

To answer your last question first, Allow the carrier settings update. Not sure what effect it has for non-authorized users. In my case, it had no effect (haha).

'Get My Life Easier' back? Not sure about that either. Maybe someone else knows. Look for a Green line at the top of Cydia starting with SHSH iOS: xxx. If numbers are shown after, those numbers are the currently saved version blobs and Cydia is set to save future versions.

Tiny Umbrella is your very good friend It saves your valuable SHSH blobs to your computer.