Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best firmware? Should I upgrade my firmware?

Question Best firmware? Should I upgrade my firmware?
    Hello,
    Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but I have been out of the loop for a while. I have a 3G that is Unlocked and Jailbroken on T-mobile. Current firmware is 3.1.3. A lot of the newer apps that I want require 4.0 or higher. What are some of the draw backs of upgrading? I upgraded about a year ago and my phone kept locking up. I ended up downgrading back to 3.1.3. I was told at the time that it was the most stable firmware, so I stuck with it. I figure it has been long enough. I know that some of you out there are much more savy, so I ask for your advice.

Thanks in advance

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

3.1.x is probably the best fw version for an iPhone 3G. The performance is heavily affected for the iPhone 3G if on iOS 4, so its probably best to keep it where it is.

Annie,
    What if I uppgrade to the Iphone 4? What is the best firmware?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well you probably dont have much of a choice if you're going to buy it new lol. It'll come with 4.3.4 or 4.3.5 likely.

But if you're talking about buying from someone else then look for one on 4.2.1, 4.3.3 is ok too but in my personal opinion I would choose 4.2.1. iOS 5 might be coming soon too and there definitely will be a jailbreak out for it soon after, so ... If you could wait for iOS 5 and the new jb to come out then it'll be even better.