Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help... VERY not tech savy

Default Need help... VERY not tech savy
    Forgive me if this has been covered before...

Back story... broke the screen on my old iPhone 3g. Bought a jailbroken/unlocked one on Craig's list. Did a restore, of course ended up getting a 1015 error. Found a you tube video that showed me how to get around it. When I tried to put the data from iPhone #1 on the new one (still a 3g) it says it can't because new phone has an old version on it. Tried to update, error message.

So, I've looked for work arounds, but as I said, I'm not a tech person so the instructions (SHMS?????) don't make sense.

I really just want to "unjailbreak" the phone and put it back to factory settings. I don't know enough to make this work as it is. Is this possible? If so, can someone give me the "for dummy" instructions????

I just want all my stuff back from my old phone

-Shan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Restore to 4.1 firmware, error 1015 pops up, use Exit recovery from Tiny Umbrella to kick it out.
    You ahould be at emergency screen, put official sim to activate and check your modem firmware under settings .

Or if your iPhone is now bootable, go check modem firmware and let me know.

firmware as well.

I did the tiny umbrella thingie.

It works... just can't restore or update.

Modem Firmware says "06.15.00"

(Version says 4.1 (8B117)

Thanks

what do you want to restore to ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

shannamarie (2011-08-31)

Just a plain ole regular iPhone with my old phone's stuff on it.

Thanks

if it were me I'd just take the screen off the craigslist one & put on your old one..
    Screens are cheap off eBay Then put the new screen on the craigslist one & sell it

Only IF your handy with your hands or know someone who is

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cid6.7 For This Useful Post:

shannamarie (2011-08-31)

Negative on the replacing the glass. I watched my brother do it once (he lives 5 hours away), I don't think the phone would survive if I attempted it. (and the touch screen at the bottom of the old phone was wonky... it worked on and off anyway)

Thanks

You can setup as a backup restore but your iPhone 1 firmware Backup must be equal or lower than your new iPhone firmware

Yeah, therein lies the problem. Broke phone is on 4.2

OK, just talked to a guy with an ad on Craig's list. He said it sounds like the problem is caused by the unlock and not the jailbreak..... any suggestions?
    Last edited by shannamarie; 2011-08-31 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks

Yes, if you want 4.2.1, create a custom firmware of 4.2.1 created by Snowbreeze 2.2.1 and restore to it.

But you cannot unjailbreak it as you cannot restore to stock firmware of 4.2.1 cos the seller uses Ipad baseband and not sure if you noticed that your GPS will not work anymore or out of range.
    I would return it because of Ipad Baseband if I were you.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-09-01 at 02:15 AM.

This is a bit off the orgnial posting.. I have a iPod 4th gen just dropped it and shattered the screen, it still works as far as functionality goes it's just the glass that's broke.. My question is do I need to replace the "digitizer" or just the glass portion.. Sorry im Not very techy..

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madi.star View Post
    This is a bit off the orgnial posting.. I have a iPod 4th gen just dropped it and shattered the screen, it still works as far as functionality goes it's just the glass that's broke.. My question is do I need to replace the "digitizer" or just the glass portion.. Sorry im Not very techy..

Thanks
    Probably just the glass.

Can't return it I bought it when I was out of town as an emergency measure.

And I have no idea how to create custom firmware (see I really am a tech dummy).

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Yes, if you want 4.2.1, create a custom firmware of 4.2.1 created by Snowbreeze 2.2.1 and restore to it.

But you cannot unjailbreak it as you cannot restore to stock firmware of 4.2.1 cos the seller uses Ipad baseband and not sure if you noticed that your GPS will not work anymore or out of range.
    I would return it because of Ipad Baseband if I were you.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-09-01 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks

Stay at 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 is best for 3G iPhone. Sync your stuffs from iTunes is your only solution. 4.xx is lag, slow and freezes at times for 3G iPhones cos lack of speed and ram

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shannamarie View Post
    Negative on the replacing the glass. I watched my brother do it once (he lives 5 hours away), I don't think the phone would survive if I attempted it. (and the touch screen at the bottom of the old phone was wonky... it worked on and off anyway)
    Theres a bagillion youtube vids on how to replace the screen & digitizer the method using the suction cup is best.. It is a bit tricky but if you take it slow & watch the vids a few times its actually really easy..