Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Trying to upgrade firmware on ipod touch 2g and confused

Default Trying to upgrade firmware on ipod touch 2g and confused
    I have an ipod touch 2g (non mc model) and it was jailbroken over a year ago and is on firmware 3.0. I haven't used it in a long time and now since the firmware is so old, cydia and all of my apps no longer work. I have done a bit of reading on jailbreaking over the last few days since I am preparing to do this myself this time (had a friend do it last time) and am confused on a few things.

First, I always get confused when trying to google how to do this as I am not sure what to look for. When I type in 2g and 3.0 I cant tell if the articles are for those starting with firmware 3.0 or wanting to get 3.0. One website will say this ipod can't get past 4.0 firmware where another will say 4.2.1. Some say restore to factory first where others say "do this if you are already jailbroken on 3.1) which I am below that so I am clueless.

What is the highest firmware this version of ipod touch can get? Which jailbreak software supports jailbreaking for this particular ipod touch when trying to get the highest firmware I can? Would it be better to just restore to factory before jailbreaking or leave as is?
    I have all of the songs backed up on my pc already and will be getting all new apps so that isnt important.

Is there anything I need to know before jailbreaking using a tutorial since I am on such older firmware and have windows 7? I do not have the latest version of itunes (the 10) but the one before that. Does that matter as well>

There just seems to be so many details that factor in that I just needed to know what firmware and version of itunes and if there was anything else to consider in with these specifics.

With all my reading and research I am still unsure where to start.

Thanks

An iPod Touch 2G will go to 4.2.1. You may have to upgrade to iTunes 10. Sn0wbreeze and redsn0w will both work in Windows 7. You could even update to 4.2.1 through iTunes and jailbreak using Greensn0w.
    Until the next time… And if I help you out, give me a "Thanks!" Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

After your 4.2.1 restore , you can jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.6 b8 , here is the guide iClarified - iPod touch - How to Jailbreak Your iPod Touch 2G Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1]