Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Problem Jailbreaking

Default Problem Jailbreaking
    I am trying to Jailbreak an iPhone4 4.2.1 with with baseband 3.10.01.

I am stuck! Well the iphone is stuck. After iTunes uploads the firmware file the phone goes through the upload and then back to a black screen and iTunes says the phone is still in restore mode.

I have made the custom firmware file with Snowbreeze. I then use ireb to get the phoen to update via itunes - start itunes - the phone updates - then after iTunes says allis done iTunes comes back and says the phone is still in recovery mode and the screen on the phone is black. Seems all I can do is put it back into DFU and update again - ending in the same result.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Are you restoring to 4.2.1 or are you just jailbreaking at 4.2.1 ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vtodd (2011-08-27)

I am restoring a custom firmware file that is jailbroken - that is what I used snowbreeze for - I downloaded the 4.2.1 file - let snowbreeze modify it and I am trying to restore the custom jailbroken firmware back to to iphone.

Thanks

Do you have 4.2.1 shsh blob ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vtodd (2011-08-27)

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Do you have 4.2.1 shsh blob ?
    I do not - or at least I don't think I do. I am new to this have just been reading walkthrough after walkthrough.

I do have tiny umbrella installed - is that how you get the blob off the phone?

In Tiny Umbrella it says I have the following:

iPhone 3GS 4.1 (8B117)
    iPhone 3GS 4.3.5 (8L1)
    iPhone 3GS 5.0b1 (9A5220p)
    iPhone 3GS 5.0b2 (9A5248d)
    iPhone 3GS 5.0b3 (9A5259f)

Are those even from this phone? It is a iPhone4 - not a 3GS - forgive me if that is a stupid question - but like I said I am new to this and don't fully understand it yet.
    Last edited by vtodd; 2011-08-26 at 08:42 PM.

iYeow is definitely the right person to answer these questions but it looks like u ha a 3Gs at one point and backed that up, if not u didn't tell the computer that its an iPhone 4 in the drop down menu

Has the iPhone ever been on the ios5 beta?

No - the phone has not been on 5 - and you can call me stupid, but I was afraid to let it do a backup or sync after i had read about the baseband changes - so I don't have a backup of the phone prior to me trying to load the modified ipsw file.

The baseband doesnt change ever from just syncing or backing up only when you update or restore to a newer firmware

Try using TinyUmbrella again and tell it it's an iPhone 4, or try opening cydia if u can and the SSH file backups will be at the bottom of the home page

Thanks

You have to retrieve your ECID and input into TU and click save shsh as your iphone has not been recognized by TU. If TU has recognized your device, you would see your Iphone 4, listed on the left pane.
    TU can recognize your device if it is bootable. The easy way is to restore to 4.3.5 and then run TU with your bootable iphone plug in and click save shsh to see if you have any blob.
    In Adv tab, do the request shsh from Cydia .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

vtodd (2011-08-27)

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    You have to retrieve your ECID and input into TU and click save shsh as your iphone has not been recognized by TU. If TU has recognized your device, you would see your Iphone 4, listed on the left pane.
    TU can recognize your device if it is bootable. The easy way is to restore to 4.3.5 and then run TU with your bootable iphone plug in and click save shsh to see if you have any blob.
    In Adv tab, do the request shsh from Cydia .
    So I should download the 4.3.5 ipsw and restore it to the phone without modifying it with Snowbreeze - correct?

Then run TU as above.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I fully agree with iYeow. The state your phone is in right now, you have no access to view any SHSHs you may (or may not) have available at your disposal. The only way to see and access them, is to be in a functional state at 4.3.5.

So yes, you would use a stock (not custom) 4.3.5 to restore to then use TU. Be sure in TU that under advanced you should uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit. Do the restore to 4.3.5, then open TU after to check for SHSHs.