Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2G Won't Start Up....

Default iPhone 2G Won't Start Up....
    Hi -- I'm moving up from a JB iPhone 2G to JB 3GS. Had a heck of a time getting files off the old phone, and ultimately Cydia would not start up anymore, so had to get files of manually.

So, after I finished that enormous task, I went into Settings > General > Reset (I think? Cant get on 2G to look) and went ahead and reset (to clear date and settings). I had looked this up prior and read that it only affected data and settings and phone would still run fine.

So.....it goes through the process, then hangs in start up/reboot mode (i think that's what it's called (iphone/JB newbie here). it stays in that mode for a long time, then screen goes blank briefly, then it starts up again in same mode, and just keeps cycling like that unless I unhook phone from computer. I noticed the battery icon is red and shows only tiny bit of juice, so it has to be hooked up or won't light up at all. Could this be part of problem?

Did I screw up? Can I get phone to work again?

Grateful for your input/suggestions =)

TT

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Reset all content and settings is bad on jailbroken phones. A restore is necessary.

shoot.....how do i do that?

thanks for the reply!

TT

Connect your iphone to itunes. You should see a restore button under update.

ok, will check it out.

then after that.....is there a way to get all my data off of the 2G, without messing up this time?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iTunes is the best method. Other methods exist but somewhat complicated.