Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: question

Default question
    I have an iphone 3g that was jailbroken with the ipad baseband. plugged it up to itunes and clicked update. itunes gave me an error that pointed me to apple to tell me that it was because of modifications. it's been stuck in recovery mode or DFU mode if I choose to. No programs i've found have helped me yet. any ideas or did I brick it?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lynair View Post
    .... itunes gave me an error that pointed me to apple to tell me that it was because of modifications....
    Please provide more details.

can't remember the specific error code. trying to reproduce it having to update itunes.

error 1015
    Last edited by Lynair; 2011-08-25 at 07:56 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Have you run tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery?

yeah, doesn't work.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you want 4.2.1, then you can only restore to custom firmware af 4.2.1, not stock fw.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Lynair (2011-08-27)

so download stock and use sn0wbreeze to make custom? or is there another prog that i should use? because sn0w will not let me use any ipsw to make custom, keeps telling me that it's not a valid ipsw. I'm not 100% on what ios was on here before i attempted to update it. it was given to me with no prior information, which is why it's a pain. i also have no shsh saved.

*went and downloaded the earlier version of sn0wbreeze, running it now.*

do want to say that ifaith says the iphone has ios 0 and it's unable to download it and none of the ipsw i've downloaded will work.
    ifaith actually says it's an ipod touch 3g didn't know if it's just the program's way or saying iphone 3g or not...
    Last edited by Lynair; 2011-08-25 at 09:02 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Directions for 4.2.1:

Create cFW with Sn0wbreeze 2.2 with a stock 4.2.1 ipsw
    Set device into pwned DFU with Sn0wbreeze when it finishes creating the cFW
    Open iTunes and hold shift, click restore, select custom 4.2.1 you created
    You should not receive any errors in iTunes with this process.

Directions for 3.1.3 (not SHSHs necessary):

Download stock 3.1.3 AND 3.1.2 ipsw
    Shift + restore to stock 3.1.3 with iTunes
    Receive error 1015
    Open TinyUmbrella and click "exit recovery" (not fix recovery)
    Jailbreak as normal with Redsn0w 0.9.4 (use the 3.1.2 ipsw here)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Lynair (2011-08-25)

Thanks

SB 2.2.1 will allow you to browse to stock 4.2.1 fw

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Lynair (2011-08-27)

[QUOTE=i.Annie;6207261]Directions for 4.2.1:

Create cFW with Sn0wbreeze 2.2 with a stock 4.2.1 ipsw
    Set device into pwned DFU with Sn0wbreeze when it finishes creating the cFW
    Open iTunes and hold shift, click restore, select custom 4.2.1 you created
    You should not receive any errors in iTunes with this process.

went with this one and everything seemed to go well, rebooted and all but seems stuck on the sn0wflake on booting up, itunes said to leave it plugged up. and it has been. any further instructions or just use patience?
    actually on second glance it seems to be boot-looping.
    Last edited by Lynair; 2011-08-25 at 09:42 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

So your screen is stuck on the snowflake huh? Sounds like a typical sn0wbreeze failure lol. Sn0wbreeze doesn't always play well with the iPhone 3G. My best recommendation is to create a new cFW and do it again if it doesn't boot up on its own soon.

Edit: if a second try doesn't give, next thing I would suggest (since it seems like you want to stay on 4.2.1) is to find a custom firmware created by pwnagetool online. We can't give links or point directions for that, MMi policy. So you'll have to search.

Be sure that the cFW does not have the ipad bb packaged in it!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Lynair (2011-08-27)

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Directions for 4.2.1:
    Directions for 3.1.3 (not SHSHs necessary):

Download stock 3.1.3 AND 3.1.2 ipsw
    Shift + restore to stock 3.1.3 with iTunes
    Receive error 1015
    Open TinyUmbrella and click "exit recovery" (not fix recovery)
    Jailbreak as normal with Redsn0w 0.9.4 (use the 3.1.2 ipsw here)
    tried this one after the first wouldn't work. i'm at the jailbreak as normal with redsn0w, will I still be able to unlock the phone afterwards? or will it update the bb and not let me?

used iforcast and found that i am in fact already on the ipad bb, so nevermind about that.
    Last edited by Lynair; 2011-08-26 at 04:39 AM.

Thanks

If you restore to OFW or Stock firmware of 4.1 or 4.2.1, those firmwares update your baseband to a non unlockable. You can restore to 3.1.3 for 3g and use redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak and still maintain your baseband to be unlocked by Ultrasn0w.
    This is why if you ever wanted 4.1 or 4.2.1, you must restore to custom firmware in order to preserve your curent unlockable baseband , unless you have already updated it by accident and no going back on baseband downgrade.
    Have you checked with iforecast just to see if you have bootloader 5.0.8 , if you then downgrading baseband is possible.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Lynair (2011-08-27)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You have the iPad baseband. It is still unlockable. But you should follow iYeow's advice. If you can downgrade the bb you can not only unlock but regain your GPS function that is usually lost with the iPad bb upgrade.

But if you can't downgrade the bb, you can still unlock with the iPad bb that you have.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Lynair (2011-08-27)

wanted to update. thanks for all the help so far.
    Still trying to jailbreak with redsn0w 9.4 with the 3.1.2 for some reason after it's "done" it says the rest of the process takes place on the phone. the phone shows a black screen after about 10 minutes it shut down, manually booted it up and it is still an unactivated iphone. no cydia installed. don't understand what's going wrong at this point?

Figured it out. tethered jailbreak.
    i thought it would be untethered when using sn0wbreeze. but after installing 4.1 with sn0wbreeze i went back and just selected boot tethered in Redsn0w. the pineapple came up and it booted without a problem.
    I'm happy it's working, seems unlocked as when i put my sim card in the phone it did see that there was one in it.

my next questions is in regards to my other phone. it's an iphone 3gs and it's running 4.3.4 tethered jailbroken. it currently has the 5.16.02 bb on it. would it be possible for me to update the bb to the ipads and keep it on 4.3.4 tethered and have it unlocked, or would it just be better to wait untill ios 5.0 is released and cracked? i believe i have my shsh saved (because they show up in TinyUmbrella), but i'm not sure if they were signed before i saved them. I also am unaware if there's a way to check the blobs or should i just try and downgrade to 4.1 and see what errors i get?
    Last edited by Lynair; 2011-08-26 at 06:43 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

So what happens when you restored to 3.1.3 and then used TU to exit recovery? Did you get the emergency call screen?

yeah that's exactly what happened. used redsn0w after per instructions and it wouldn't get offa the black screen. ended up going back to sn0wbreeze and using 4.1 to make a custom, then flashed it in itunes, but it wouldn't boot up. stayed on the snowflake, so went back to dfu mode and just selected "boot tethered" in redsn0w v9.7r16. popped the pineapple up and worked great.

check bottom of page one please

Thanks

If you are restoring to CFW of 4.1, it shouldn't be tethered. You have not answered Annie’s question whether you arriVed at Emergency Screen when you restore to 3.1.3

yeah i was at the emergency call screen after flashing 3.1.3 but when I redid it with 3.1.2 with redsn0w it just stayed at the black screen after "the rest happens on the phone" part. doesn't reboot or anything and if i make it reboot it goes back to the emergency call screen.

Thanks

That is weird, Redsnow 0.9.4 in xp2 compatibility mode should hactivate and jailbreak for you without any problem.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Lynair (2011-08-26)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast