Results 1 to 8 of 8

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Newbie - How to upgrade my jailbroken iPhone?

  1. #1
    Question Newbie - How to upgrade my jailbroken iPhone?
    Hey all, hope you're well - was hoping to ask a question:

    I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS Version 4.1 (8B117) and I use windows 7. The jailbreak, after so long, has gotten buggy with apps crashing and screens freezing. I'd like to upgrade the jailbreak, but without losing all my stuff!

    A bit of info - i DID save the SHSH blobs (or whatever they're called) when I was prompted to on the original jailbreak. I have a mix of paid and jailbroken apps, most of which contain some data that I'd like to keep, eg I paid for awesomeNOTE and it has lots of lists that I keep for work. I have a few similar jailbroken apps that also contain info/data that I'd like to keep. Practically ALL my jailbroken apps were obtained from apptrakr and transferred to my 3GS via itunes and NOT downloaded from *************.

    Also, I've been a busy bunny with Cydia tweaks. PS, my SHSH in cydia shows 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2.1+, 4.3.3, 4.3.5

    Could someone point me in the right direction as to what the most pain-free way to upgrade my jailbreak would be? I assume I'm going to have to manually back up some stuff too? - my concern isn't really the upgrading, but more the backing up and saving of my apps/tweaks/data. Thanks!

    Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

    Narmak
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-08-25 at 09:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    PKGBackup is a good utility for backing up and restoring both Cydia and App Store data.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    PKGBackup is a good utility for backing up and restoring both Cydia and App Store data.
    Thanks for that. In which order should I do it?

    1. Sync + Backup via Itunes
    2. Back up itunes folder
    3. Use PKGBackup
    4. Upgrade to the latest firmware via itunes? Is there a JB out for the latest?
    5. Restore as my iphone
    6. Jailbreak again
    7. Restore via PKGBackup

    and everything should look pretty much exactly the same but with an updated jailbreak?

    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Always use iTunes as the primary backup and restore.
    .......After a firmware restore, use 'restore from back' followed later with a sync.
    PKGBackup (if used properly) can restore Cydia apps and data.
    ....... It can also restore App Store data - best used to restore one at a time if needed.

    Here's the order I would use:
    1. Use PKGBackup. Link a DropBox account for backups.
    2. Sync + Backup via iTunes
    3. Shift/select restore to 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 firmware via iTunes? Must have SHSH blobs !!
    4. After the firmware restore, select 'restore from backup' (select last backup)
    5. Jailbreak w/redsn0w rc19
    6. iTunes sync (apps, music, etc)
    7. Run Cydia, upgrade all.
    8. Install PKGBackup & verify DropBox link
    9. Selective restore with PKGBackup. Pick individual Cydia apps/tweaks you want.
    ..... Restore a few Cydia apps/tweaks at a time. Keep it simple.
    ..... Now is a good time to clean house
    ..... With all the options available, PKGBackup can be a little confusing. Be aware.

    The springboard icon layout may need manual adjustments
    It depends upon various Cydia apps / tweaks / customizations.

    Done.

    Important:
    Read & investigate before-hand. Make a plan, investigate each step. Know how & what you're doing before starting. For a newbie, it's a lot of information to learn. Sorry, it can't be helped.

    Good luck

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Always use iTunes as the primary backup and restore.
    .......After a firmware restore, use 'restore from back' followed later with a sync.
    PKGBackup (if used properly) can restore Cydia apps and data.
    ....... It can also restore App Store data - best used to restore one at a time if needed.

    Here's the order I would use:
    1. Use PKGBackup. Link a DropBox account for backups.
    2. Sync + Backup via iTunes
    3. Shift/select restore to 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 firmware via iTunes? Must have SHSH blobs !!
    4. After the firmware restore, select 'restore from backup' (select last backup)
    5. Jailbreak w/redsn0w rc19
    6. iTunes sync (apps, music, etc)
    7. Run Cydia, upgrade all.
    8. Install PKGBackup & verify DropBox link
    9. Selective restore with PKGBackup. Pick individual Cydia apps/tweaks you want.
    ..... Restore a few Cydia apps/tweaks at a time. Keep it simple.
    ..... Now is a good time to clean house
    ..... With all the options available, PKGBackup can be a little confusing. Be aware.

    The springboard icon layout may need manual adjustments
    It depends upon various Cydia apps / tweaks / customizations.

    Done.

    Important:
    Read & investigate before-hand. Make a plan, investigate each step. Know how & what you're doing before starting. For a newbie, it's a lot of information to learn. Sorry, it can't be helped.

    Good luck
    Thanks for that. Really useful.

    So the apps i've legitimately bought (pre-jailbreak), eg, awesomenote, msecure, angry birds, iFitness, facebook, - they will all be restored fully (including all/most current data) when I do step 6 (Itunes sync - music, apps etc)? It's just the jailbroken/cydia apps that need to be selectively restored using PKGBackup?

    Also, do all my photos on my iphone automatically get sync'd when I sync? Sorry if that's a stupid question. The reason I ask is that if my phone is currently jailbroken and I sync it, what will the phone look like when I restore it (post firmare upgrade, but PRE new-jailbreak and PRE-PKGPackup restore)?

    Thanks again.


    EDIT: I've just spotted something. You're suggesting that after firmware upgrade, I jailbreak BEFORE I sync with itunes.
    Last edited by Narmak; 2011-08-26 at 02:50 AM.

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Narmak View Post
    Thanks for that. Really useful.

    So the apps i've legitimately bought (pre-jailbreak), eg, awesomenote, msecure, angry birds, iFitness, facebook, - they will all be restored fully (including all/most current data) when I do step 6 (Itunes sync - music, apps etc)? It's just the jailbroken/cydia apps that need to be selectively restored using PKGBackup?....
    I don't know all of those apps, but if you're a legit owner: Yes. Correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Narmak View Post
    ..Also, do all my photos on my iphone automatically get sync'd when I sync?...
    Yes (and more). And depending upon the options selected: notes, contacts, calendar, bookmarks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Narmak View Post
    ...The reason I ask is that if my phone is currently jailbroken and I sync it, what will the phone look like when I restore it (post firmare upgrade, but PRE new-jailbreak and PRE-PKGPackup restore)?
    Stock Apple iPhone.

    Note: Do you know Tiny Umbrella? Please read the link below. Tiny Umbrella + TSS Server must be running BEFORE starting an iTunes restore.

    Also .... Are you an Official AT&T customer? Need an unlock? Installed iPad baseband?
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-26 at 03:05 AM.

  7. #7
    What's TSS server? I am an O2 customer, which is essentially AT&T for the UK. I wouldn't need an unlock. Where can I download the custom firmware btw?

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    TSS is the SHSH server within Tiny Umbrella. Required before the restore.
    See link in my signature pane.

    Firmware links are also in my signature. Download 3GS iOS 4.2.1 or 4.3.3,.
    As an authorized user, a custom firmware is not required.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-26 at 04:30 AM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •