Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Are apple capable of preventing cracked apps?

Default Are apple capable of preventing cracked apps?
    Hi everyone

I am a Jailbreak user, and have tried **********, but I don't use it. I like to buy apps as I am a PC programmer.

If I were to go into ********** and download a crack of Angry Birds (for example) and install it. When an update is released it will appear on the App Store that I need to update it. If I try update it will ask be to pay for it.

If Apple can check all my Apps installed on my iPhone and realize that I haven't paid for the App then why can't Apple record my serial and report me or remove warrenty? They must have a database of all my purchases from my Apple ID?

I can't get my head round it? Many companies like Navigon, Rovio, and other developers have lost a lot of money from cracked apps.

Surely Apple CAN put a stop to this?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

There are companies who develop apps who have anti-piracy security in place which work pretty well.

Usually it consists of showing the user a screen to not download an illegal version and disable any further function of the app. Unfortunately there are not enough companies who implement this feature. I find that it would be up to the developer to put security on their apps, as Apple probably wouldn't be the one to implement it into each and every submitted app. It can be done, I am sure of it, but I think the effort must be made by the developer just bc of how many apps are out there and how Apple alone probably cant get to them all. That's my thoughts on it.

Thanks

Making a piracy-proof binary is like making an indestructible building or a jam-proof firearm: it ain't happening. It's a perpetual cat-and-mouse game.

I suppose your right Annie. Apple get their money from the developer so I suppose they aren't held liable cause Apple don't own the the app. So it would be the developers responsibility whether they want to anti-pirate their app. Maybe Apple should help by releasing some sort of SDK that will make it easier for the developer to stop pirates.

My friend downloaded a cracked app called 'Blocks'. When he installed it he was told to go and buy it. So it can be done, or it was badly cracked.

Who knows. I thnik the real cat and mouse game is between Apple and the DevTeam. If apple manage to stop the devteam (which I doubt) then ultimatly ********** will be gone

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Well I don't see a problem with cracked apps being gone. But jailbreaking isn't about that, a lot of immoral people just make it seem that way I jailbreak (and many others) for things like themes, tweaks, etc. to make my iPhone more customizable to my taste. I don't do it to steal. And a lot of the developers' work is to do that. Whoever created apps that condone piracy aren't the reason why jailbreak is available, and it shouldn't be.

It's always been Apple vs Dev Team bc of jailbreak and unlocking, piracy is just a nasty little side effect.

The thing is you are implying that the Dev Team promotes piracy. That isn't true. The Dev Team clearly claims that they do not endorse piracy and asks for us not to pirate. There will always be holes. Even the security feature can be bypassed and while this isn't a good thing like Orby said its a cat and mouse game, and in Tom and Jerry we all know Jerry (Dev-Team) wins everytime

@Str4y Sorry I didn't mean to come accross as if I was blaming the DevTeam, I don't think the dev team are interested in cracked apps.

@i.Annie I think the jailbreaks are brilliant, but I'd imagine majority of the users jailbreak purely for **********

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I never said that wasn't true. I am simply stating the purpose of jailbreak isn't for piracy, it's a nasty side effect that found it's way in. So to say jailbreaking as a whole is meant for piracy is an inaccurate statement, regardless of what thieves use it for.