Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need Help Restoring or Downgrading iPhone 4 CDMA

Default Need Help Restoring or Downgrading iPhone 4 CDMA
    My Verizon iPhone 4 got stuck on Connect To iTunes Logo screen while trying to downgrade to 4.2.8 from 4.2.9. I have the 4.2.8 shsh blobs saved on TinyUmbrella. I need help restoring it to 4.2.9 or 4.2.10 or downgrading it to 4.2.8.

iPhone 4 restore/downgrade problems (On a Windows Vista Home Premium computer):

iPhone always cuts off from restoring/downgrading when Microsoft Windows pop up window appears saying "MobileDeviceService has stopped working".

1) tried to downgrade from 4.2.9 to 4.2.8, got error 20.
    opened up tinyumbrela and clicked "Start TSS Server" (iTunes not opened as recommended)
    put iPhone 4 into Pwned-DFU mode using iREB then opened iTunes and held down shift and hit restore. Selected custom firmware sn0wbreeze 4.2.8.

2) From iTunes logo screen just tried to restore to 4.2.10, got error 3194. (Didn't put in DFU Mode)

3) Put iPhone 4 in Pwned DFU Mode using iREB then tried to restore to 4.2.10 on iTunes, got Error 21.

4) Put iPhone 4 in Pwned DFU Mode using Redsn0w then tried to restore to 4.2.10 on iTunes, got Error 1611.

When trying to downgrade to 4.2.8, it stops going through when it says Preparing iPhone to Restore in iTunes and Sn0wbreeze with empty loading bar on iPhone 4 screen the Error 20 pops up. AppleMobileDevice Service screen pops up also. iPhone returns to Connect To iTunes screen.

Got Error 1611 when trying to restore to 4.2.10 directly from iTunes (download 4.2.10 firmware from iTunes). The Microsoft Windows pop-up screen displaying "MobileDeviceService has stopped working" stopped the restore from going through. I stopped MobileDeviceService, restarted MobileDeviceService, MobileDeviceService still stopped working while iTunes was Preparing To Restoring iPhone. I even stopped MobileDeviceService manually and restarted it in Services part of my laptop but MobileDeviceService still stopped in the end. It is labeled Apple Mobile Device in Services. I uninstalled iTunes then reinstalled iTunes but still can't restore or downgrade my iPhone 4. MobileDeviceService is stopping my iPhone from restoring or downgrading everytime.

Please help me restore or downgrade my iPhone 4.
    Last edited by Mysterion; 2011-08-24 at 10:18 AM.
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Download TinyUmbrella and Sn0wbreeze

Create a custom FW with Sn0wbreeze for 4.2.8
    Set your device into pwned DFU mode with Sn0wbreeze when it finishes
    Open TinyUmbrella, click "Save SHSHs," then start the TSS Server
    Open iTunes and hold shift, click restore, and select the custom 4.2.8 you created

You should not receive any errors and you should have successfully restored to jailbroken 4.2.8. If you do not have success, you need to ensure you really do have 4.2.8 SHSHs saved.

If I got my phone from apple with 4.2.10 pre-installed, cant I just create a custom 4.2.8 device in tinyumbrella?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If it came with 4.2.10, you don't have SHSHs saved for 4.2.8. If you don't have SHSHs then you can't restore to anything except 4.2.10. Therefor no, you cannot simply create a custom firmware and restore to it.

For future reference, TinyUmbrella does not create custom firmwares. It allows for restores for devices that have SHSHs saved in Cydia's servers. It also saves SHSHs when they are available (whenever Apple is signing, currently that means 4.2.10 CDMA and 4.3.5 GSM are the only SHSHs that may be saved now).

Custom firmwares are a way of jailbreaking so it is done via a jailbreaking tool. This includes Sn0wbreeze for Windows and PwnageTool for Mac. So these are the tools people use to create custom firmwares in conjunction to use with TinyUmbrella's TSS Server (assuming SHSHs are saved for the desired (no longer) unsigned fw version).

Thanks.

Is there an untethered Jailbreak for anything above 4.2.8?

If not, Is there at least a tethered jailbreak for anything above 4.2.8 where I can turn my phone off and on untethered and it will still boot, but just not support jailbroken features? I ask because I've done it with one of the 5 betas, but forget which one. I can confirm that it's not beta 7

[edit]
    Just found out that this is called semi-tethered.
    My question is which is the latest semi-tethered iOS 5 jailbreak
    Last edited by dannymichel; 2011-09-15 at 03:43 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry I have no idea. I tend to avoid beta firmwares and non-untethered jailbreaks, as I feel that there are too many instabilities with both of the above mentioned.

I think a google search will come up with the answer you're looking for, seems like you know what you're doing if you've been on iOS 5 beta before.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Sorry I have no idea. I tend to avoid beta firmwares and non-untethered jailbreaks, as I feel that there are too many instabilities with both of the above mentioned.

I think a google search will come up with the answer you're looking for, seems like you know what you're doing if you've been on iOS 5 beta before.
    thanks. didnt find anything by googling though. figured there might be someone who knew here. looks like whatever 9A5220p is is semi-tethered, but not sure if that's the latest