Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1st time jail breaker - updating an already jail broken phone - help please!

Default 1st time jail breaker - updating an already jail broken phone - help please!
    Hi

Ok, so i'm after some advice, i'm a bit of a newbie so would REALLY appreciate 'help for dummies' type advice! I'll try to be as clear as I can on this post and will answer any questions I have missed as and when asked.

I purchased a nearly new, jail broken iphone 3gs late last year which was jail broken at software version 4.1 as far as I can tell by looking at the 'about' page in the settings. As far as I can see it is now possible to jailbreak 4.2.1, and the latest version is 4.3.5?

If I plug my phone into itunes and let it do the update, I believe i'll lose the jailbroken aspect of my phone, however it will be updated to 4.3.5.

I assume I need to downgrade it to 4.2.1, then jail break it?

If i'm right, please could someone tell me how i go about doing this, and if i'm wrong, again, please advise! I have looked about at redsn0w and greenpois0n, and have found a site called jailbreakme.com if this helps you guys at all?

Thanks, I really do appreciate it

i may have over complicated things here, all I need to know really is how to get my phone from it's current 4.1 firmware to the latest jail broken version. I have never tried anything of the sort but am not afraid to try it with clear instructions, cheers guys!

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Open cydia and tell me if there are numbers in green on top of it's homepage.

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indy3050 View Post
    i may have over complicated things here, all I need to know really is how to get my phone from it's current 4.1 firmware to the latest jail broken version. I have never tried anything of the sort but am not afraid to try it with clear instructions, cheers guys!
    Actually 4.1 runs smoother than 4.3 (4.3.2 is what I have now) on iPhone 3GS. I recommend staying to 4.1 till iOS 5 comes out or something but if you wanna upgrade, downgrade and jailbreak then feel free. Lots of work if you ask me

Ok i have opened cydia and the green numbers at the top of the home page are as follows

SHSH; ios 4.1, 4.2.1+, 4.3.5

Would be very interested to know why you needed those numbers and what they mean, Also R.Mortera, the reason i have been thinking about getting the latest version is because it has got to the stage where I go to download a new app from the store and it tells me i need software version 4.2 or above. Can you let me know the pro's and cons of getting latest version? Thanks for all the help so far guys, i'm learning all the time, very interesting stuff!

Download the 3GS 4.3.3 ipsw.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-1009.20110503.M73Yr/iPhone2,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw

Load up itunes, hold down your shift key on your keyboard and click on restore. You will now have the option to browse for the firmware you wish to install. You will obviously select the ipsw you downloaded earlier. When its done installing to your phone goto jailbreakme.com.
    Last edited by Hedrush; 2011-08-23 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedrush View Post
    Download the 3GS 4.3.3 ipsw.

http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/04...2_Restore.ipsw

Load up itunes, hold down your shift key on your keyboard and click on restore. You will now have the option to browse for the firmware you wish to install. You will obviously select the ipsw you downloaded earlier. When its done installing to your phone goto jailbreakme.com.
    Thanks for the response, this seems remarkably straight forward, will this jail break AND unlock? I should have mentioned earlier that I use a sim card from a carrier that was not the original so unlocking is vital! If I cock up somehow, can i restore it to the current settings? Do I need the latest version of itunes? Thanks again for all the help, I really do appreciate it!

This method will not unlock. Unlocking depends on what baseband you have. I believe if its higher than 0.5.14 or 0.5.15 you will need to jailbreak and install the ipad baseband via redsn0w.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/inde...id=14563&laid=

Again its pretty straight forward to do. You shouldnt have any issues.
    Last edited by Hedrush; 2011-08-23 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

Bear in mind using iPad baseband may break your Gps functions, use it only when necessary.

Thanks

If I were u, I'd only go to 4.2.1! 4.2.1 is best on 3GS I always say! 4.3.x makes it stuttery and non-fluid/scrolling launching apps! I will not go higher again...not without more power...(ip4)

I didnt see what ur current bb was..
    Last edited by xboxbml; 2011-08-23 at 09:10 PM.

Okay heres how you do it.
    Google tiny umbrella and download it then click save shsh, make sure under advanced options you select request from cydia then untick it and save your shsh again without it ticked.
    Now check what shshs its saved then download either 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 whichever shshs you have get the latest version.
    Now start the tss server and open itunes.
    If your using 4.3.3 you can either jailbreak using sn0wbreeze for 4.3.3 or using jailbreakme.com
    If your going to use jailbreak me .com just restore as normal and to 4.3.3 and go there on your iphone.
    Otherwise get sn0wbreeze from iH8sn0w.com and follow the on screen instructions to restore if you need more help just ask .
    For 4.2.1 you can either use greenpois0n Greenpois0n.com or sn0wbreeze.
    For sn0wbreeze use the above instructions for greenpois0n restore as normal then download greenpois0n and follow the onscreen instructions to jailbreak your device

If you need any help just ask