Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to upgrade - how it's done?

Default Want to upgrade - how it's done?
    Hi!

I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.1, jailbroken with Limerain. I've got tons of Cydia and App store apps installed, but just today I noticed Find My iPhone service. I figured out that I can't use it without iOS 4.2. Well, I could use it with my iOS 4.1 BUT I would need an existing REAL mobile me account with @me.com email and all that stuff - since, even if I use another iPhone with iOS 4.2 - I can't activate Find My iPhone with my 4.1 phone without an actual MobileMe account. It doesn't accept an Apple ID in the MobileMe setup part of the settings app in my 4.1 iPhone - while it DOES in the 4.2.

So I've decided to upgrade my iOS to 4.2 or a higher version. The thing here is, I COULD just upgrade my iPhone 4.1 to 4.3.5 in iTunes... But I would lose the ability to jailbreak untethered. So what I want now is to upgrade to a lower iOS version than the current newest one provided by Apple. Is this even possible? That I could upgrade to, say iOS 4.3.3 (even though the newest by Apple is 4.3.5) and then Jailbreak with Greenpoison or some other tool? Is iOS 4.3.3 jailbreakable untethered?

The absolute best thing here is that I won't be needing an unlock , I am using the SIM provided with my contract. This should make things a lot easier.

Thanks A LOT in advance for any help. Mind you, I would really appreciate even the shortest steps - I am not a total noob, so I do understand directions with just 5-10 short steps, and I am willing to research more so you don't have to provide me 100% step by step directions.

So what I need to know here is:
    1. Can I update my iPhone 4 from iOS 4.1 to 4.3.3 or other lower iOS than the newest one provided by Apple?
    2. How hard is this, and how can it be done.
    3. Is iOS 4.3.3 jailbreakable untethered? And is that the newest version worth upgrading to? And what jailbreak method I need to use with this version?
    4. I have a Mac available via VMWare, can I use PWNagetool to create a custom firmware and REALLY just go to iTunes and restore using that custom firmware - and BAM I've got jailbroken upgraded iPhone with the custom things included in the firmware I made? Can it really be done this easily?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Before answering any of those questions, you need to have SHSHs saved in order to restore to anything below 4.3.5. So get TinyUmbrella, click "Save SHSHs" and see what the log tells you.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Before answering any of those questions, you need to have SHSHs saved in order to restore to anything below 4.3.5. So get TinyUmbrella, click "Save SHSHs" and see what the log tells you.
    Okay, so what you are saying is, that I can't upgrade/restore to a lower iOS than the newest one, if I don't have the SHSH of the version that I want to upgrade to? Have I understood right? For example, I am wanting to upgrade to 4.3.1, I have to have the SHSH of 4.3.1 IF there is currently a NEWER iOS available than that 4.3.1?

I saved SHSH using TinyUmbrella and I got these results:

In the list, there is no 4.3.1. And I have just made a custom firmware ISPW file for upgrading my iPhone to 4.3.1 with Jailbreak untethered. Does that mean that I have to do this again for a iOS version that I have an SHSH of? 4.3.3 For example?
    Last edited by jupstejuho; 2011-08-22 at 06:26 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You can just restore to stock 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 and jb with greenpois0n (4.2.1) or Redsn0w (4.3.3)

Or you could create a custom fw for either and do that too. It all does the same thing. With a cFW you'll need to set the device into pwned dfu with pwnagetool before doing the restore. TinyUmbrella's TSS Server should be running before you open iTunes to do the restore to any firmware you choose to restore to.

I personally would advise 4.2.1, but 4.3.3 is fine as well but you might get the signal bar problem (preserved lower baseband on 4.3.3 creates one signal bar all the time, cosmetic issue fixed by installing ultrasn0w which may or may not cause extra battery drain).

You can just restore to stock 4.2.1 or 4.3.3 and jb with greenpois0n (4.2.1) or Redsn0w (4.3.3)

Or you could create a custom fw for either and do that too. It all does the same thing. With a cFW you'll need to set the device into pwned dfu with pwnagetool before doing the restore. TinyUmbrella's TSS Server should be running before you open iTunes to do the restore to any firmware you choose to restore to.

I personally would advise 4.2.1, but 4.3.3 is fine as well but you might get the signal bar problem (preserved lower baseband on 4.3.3 creates one signal bar all the time, cosmetic issue fixed by installing ultrasn0w which may or may not cause extra battery drain).
    OK, so I DO NEED to have the SHSH of the firmware version that I want to restore to? So if I am trying to restore to a lower version than the current newest available in iTunes, the iTunes will nag and not let me upgrade because it's not the newest iOS available, IF I DON'T HAVE TSS Server open and the correct SHSH for the iOS version available there. Am I correct?

It sounds like it'll be easier to open Tiny Umbrella and TSS Server enabled, then iTunes and restore to stock 4.2.1 file. Then restore my settings from backup and let greenpois0n do the magic. And get Aptbackup to restore cydia apps. I'll just do that now. Will it work like that? Also, in the Tiny Umbrella settings, if I am going to restore to the 4.2.1 100% stock IPSW file using iTunes, while TSS is open, should I disable or enable the checkbox "Set hosts to Cydia On exit"?
    Last edited by jupstejuho; 2011-08-22 at 06:47 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Yep you got it. You can do it exactly the way you just described.

Okay, it installed the firmware but ended up in error 1013, and it is now in recovery mode. I did the steps I told earlier (used STOCK 100% ios 4.2.1 IPSW, TSS server on with Tinyumbrella having the SHSH for 4.2.1. What should I do now?

Should I just kick it out from the recovery?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

No just run Greenpois0n right over it

Edit: be sure in Greenpois0n when it tells you to do the DFU mode part, never release the home button. Even when hitting "jailbreak" just keep holding the home button until allege codes on your phone finish scrolling through. Release it when you see the apple logo.

No just run Greenpois0n right over it

Edit: be sure in Greenpois0n when it tells you to do the DFU mode part, never release the home button. Even when hitting "jailbreak" just keep holding the home button until allege codes on your phone finish scrolling through. Release it when you see the apple logo.
    Okay, well you told that too late, I actually did let go of the home button earlier. But it seems that it went fine. After it finished jailbreaking, iTunes showed me the "new iPhone" screen or whatever it's called, where it asks whether to treat it as a new phone or restore from backup, I restored it from backup, it copied my settings etc to the phone in 5 minutes and now it's copying my apps there.

HOWEVER, one question came into my mind. I never really made sure whether this was a tethered jailbreak or untethered. Somehow I've got the feeling that my jailbreak is tethered now, because after iTunes restored my settings from the backup, the phone restarted and the greenpoison boot logo appeared with a progress bar. Is this a sign that I've got a tethered jailbreak? :S

Edit: Never mind, I just figured out it really is UNTETHERED 100% great jailbreak. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help, I really appreciate it! =)
    Last edited by jupstejuho; 2011-08-22 at 07:54 PM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay, lunch you're smart though you figured a lot of things out on your own that typically others need to ask 100 questions for. Glad you got it all sorted