Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Black Screen w/ Tethered Jailbreak 4.2.1.

Default iPhone 4 Black Screen w/ Tethered Jailbreak 4.2.1.
    iPhone 4 Black Screen w/ Tethered Jailbreak 4.2.1.
    I purchased an Iphone 4 MC603B/A that was running 4.3.3 and managed to downgrade it without SHSH blobs to 4.2.1 and jailbreak it by using redsn0w, greenpois0n, and TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode whenever it got stuck. Finally, it was up and running, but whenever I turn off the iPhone it goes straight into DFU mode. From there, I can only boot it using redsn0w and the jailbreak is tethered because of that. Now, the screen is black even though the iPhone is on. Is there a way to fix the screen problem, keeping in mind that I can't do a hard/soft reset because it goes straight into DFU mode, and how can I untether this jailbreak?

tl;dr
    Specs:
    iPhone 4 MC603B/A
    firmware: 4.3.3 downgraded to 4.2.1
    jailbroken: yes, tethered, w/o SHSH blobs
    programs used: redsn0w, greenpois0n, TinyUmbrella

Problems:
    Black screen but phone is on
    Jailbreak is tethered

Solutions:
    ?????

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Something to be expected when downgrading without SHSHs to an unsigned firmware... to be perfectly honest if I were you I would take it back up to 4.3.3, if you have SHSHs for that. Your jailbreak on 4.2.1 will always be tethered no matter what jb tool you use because of downgrading without SHSHs, and with that said, it'll likely give you trouble such as this scenario. If you don't have SHSHs for 4.3.3, well I guess you have to upgrade to 4.3.5 and be without a jailbreak. Or you could jailbreak that and have a tethered, buggy jailbreak on that too

When it all comes down to it, it's vital for you to have SHSHs saved. So I'm hoping you'll say you have them for 4.3.3.

BTW please post in the right section next time, this is Verizon, you being on 4.2.1 indicates you're not with Verizon. Thread moved.