Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Repair a jailbroken iPh 3G stuck in recovery, no backups available, no SHSH backupps

Unhappy Repair a jailbroken iPh 3G stuck in recovery, no backups available, no SHSH backupps
    Here is my sad, sad tale. I might as well say up front, since it will very soon become apparent to all, that I am absolutely clueless about modding phones. Had I been asked before my phone was jailbroken, I would have avoided it altogether. Anyway, here's the situation. I have no doubt that my phone is quite phucked beyond repair, but since this is the internet, the place of miracles, here's my tale in case anyone can help (in which case, I will happily give you my first-born child (or item of equivalent value):

Moved to Egypt, hubby decides to unlock my iPhone 3G while I'm asleep (and therefore not able to say 'hell no, wait til I back up!'). I get my phone back, unlocked: there's photos missing, lots of issues with apps, in short, it's now dodgy as hell. I connect to iTunes, try to sync to fix it, and it says to update firmware, else can't back up. iTunes is updated to version 10. I accepted request to update iPhone firmware to latest version, 4.3.5 (I think). Yes, you say, I am a phucking idiot. I now know this. Moving on.

Of course, once I tried to sync, all hell broke loose, tried to restore to factory setting, got the dreaded 1015 error and the phone is stuck in recovery. I've tried to investigate solutions on many, many forums, etc, and I have got this far:
    *I have no idea what firmware I was on before the unlock/upgrade (it's now apparently on 4.3.5, according to USBview).
    *No previous iTunes backup seems to be available, as there are many files in the Apple Computer/Mobilesync/Backup folder, vast majority just say 'file' in type, but none with the .ispw (or whatever it is!) extension that would apparently allow a shift+restore in iTunes (PHUCK!!)
    *Tried tinyumbrella in the hope of effecting a restore that way, I can't save SHSH blobs (or whatever they are!) as it won't recognise the device is connected, and anyway, I could obviously be wrong but my impression is that this is shutting the gate well after the horse has bolted, as the phone's already been jailbroken and this step is important to take BEFORE doing so.
    *I tried to get my brother-in-law (who arranged the bloody jailbreak) to take it back to the dude who did it, and restore from the backup I assumed he had made before jailbreaking. Since I don't speak Arabic (hell, I don't even speak 'tech talk' as you've no doubt gathered), there is no way to ask for more information from him after receiving the 'nuh, can't repair it, sorry' response.

Someone mentioned something about a custom firmware something or other. I have no clue whether this would help, or perhaps I should just simply reiterate: I have no clue.

To be clear: I don't want a jailbroken phone. I'm an Aussie, the phone is network locked to Telstra (my carrier there), and I could have apparently arranged them to legally and safely release the phone. I don't even care that I can't use my iPhone as a phone here in Egypt, I just want my phone to be the way it was: un-jailbroken and WORKING!!

I don't know virtually anything about this stuff, but can follow directions like a fiend, so if any kind, kind soul out there figures they need a challenge, and would like someone's first-born child as a reward, then I would be really, quite pathetically grateful for any light you can shed.

If my phone is indeed quite spectacularly dead, then please kindly put me out of my misery and confirm this, and I will stop wrecking my head about it.

Either way, thanks a million, you rock.
    Melissa, the frustrated and very, very technically clueless Aussie.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

If you have updated your firmware through iTunes, you should be now at 4.3.5.
    Without blob , you can only restore to 4.1 firmware.
    To do that, put your recovery iPhone into dfu mode and shift + restore in iTunes to 4.1 ipsw.
    You should encounter error 1015, use Exit recovery from Tiny umbrella to kick it out and arrive at emergency screen.

Wow, thanks for the quick response! Just gone here iClarified - iPhone - Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From and am d'lding 4.1 for 3G now -- 30 mins left. When I initially tried to use tinyumbrella, the only option not greyed out was 'exit recovery'. Do you mean me to shift+restore this firmware version, get the inevitable 1015 error, then use TU and hit 'exit recovery'...and then tell you & await further instruction? Thanks again for being awesome.

Thanks

exactly.

Once you have restored to 4.1, you can jailbreak with redsnow b6
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-08-21 at 02:49 AM.

Well, looks like I might have fallen at the first hurdle: Shift+restore and opening the freshly downloaded 4.1 for 3G yielded an immediate "The iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is incompatible". Have I done something wrong?

Thanks

Your device could be 3GS

or download from iclarified website

You probably downloaded a corrupted fw or wrong fw.

Fairly sure it's not a 3GS, but anything's possible. Any way I can check whether it is an 3GS?

File was iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore, which is the one for 3G, and I did dl from iClarified, is there some other site you'd suggest that I dl the 4.1 fw file from? Thanks again for all this
    Last edited by melcat76; 2011-08-21 at 03:16 AM.

Hi all, melcat76 may think she's clueless, but if she's understanding what iYeow posts, then I'm beyond clueless. Same senario, purchased jailbroke (ithink) phone, had cydia app, worked great on Roger's network. When downloading music for first time, itunes asked me to restore or start as new phone. Figured I'd register itunes should I wish to utilize apps/music at some point in future. Not sure what I did, but apparently was restoring the phone and error 1015 stopped everything and now phone is "in recovery". Unable to move back, forward or sideways, I'm reading iYeow's fix, trying to follow and sooo lost, it's like I'm in gradeschool again. Stupid question number one: How does one put a "recovery locked" phone into dfu mode? #2: tiny umbrella programs are to be ran or saved? Let's get that started and if anyone's around who can assist, will be here with more questions

I can help with DFU: hold home + power buttons together for about 10 seconds, then let only the power button go, still holding the home button down...you will eventually get the USB cable and iTunes symbol appearing on screen: this is DFU mode (apparently) and will allow iTunes to detect your iPhone again. I downloaded TinyUmbrella, and then ran it as a program. Get that far if you can? Don't worry, I feel your pain. I think iYeow might have given up on me already

10. The Following User Says Thank You to melcat76 For This Useful Post:

Rodmac (2011-08-21)

lol, thx melcat76. Lemme run out and feed the horses, then come back fresh ready to try this again. What a way to spend a Saturday. Hopefully, iYeow just went to dinner.

Ok, I downloaded 4.1 firmware for the 3GS just to be sure, and it extracted the file, then contacted Apple, then I got the error message "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (20)".

According to the 'more information' button's link to Apple Help, Error 20 relates to security issues. As instructed, I temporarily disabled my firewall and my antivirus autoprotection, then ran again. Once it said the Apple store couldn't be contacted, try again later, and the other 3 tries all still got the Error 20 message. By the way, I tried the restore both with TinyUmbrella TSS server running, and not. Didn't seem to make a difference.

What do you think, iYeow? At least it's a new error message It looks like my phone thinks its a 3GS, even though I'm certain I didn't buy one! Any further help will be very gratefully received (though I'm sure you get that a lot).
    Last edited by melcat76; 2011-08-21 at 04:14 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

Its not a 3G coz if it's a 3G it won't ask u to update to 4.3.5 with that being said Try putting phone in dfu change port and then shift restor to stock 4.1 Without tinyumbrella or anything .. Try another computer if u still get the error.

OK, these are no doubt silly questions, but a) is the 4.1 firmware (for the 3GS) that I downloaded from iClarified stock firmware? Or do I need to dl from some other site? and b) by 'change port' do you mean change the USB port into which my phone is connected? I tried that, same result as before. Thanks for your help

Thanks

A) Yes it's stock
    B)yeah I meant another USB port . Try diff cable and/or pc

Hmm. Okay, I just tried hubby's laptop (on which I just installed a copy of iTunes for the first time) but got the same Error 20 message. Firewall and antivirus were off, no TinyUmbrella installed. Don't have another cable for the iPhone, unfortunately - and I have zero chance of accessing one, since I'm in rural Egypt! What do you think from here?

Also - when it seemed that my phone is actually a 3GS (so weird), I ran TinyUmbrella. When I connected the phone, it detected the device, but 'exit recovery' is the only option, and clicking on 'Save SHSH' did nothing. Interestingly, I had created a custom device in order to put in my phone's actual ECID that I found through USBview (by the way, on this custom setting, at the bottom of the screen, TinyUmbrella says 'this device is NOT connected', which is a bit weird, but anyway), and I just went into the custom profile and updated the device to 3GS, and then ran Save SHSH just for funsies....and it seemed to work? Here's the thing: in the saved SHSHs for my iPhone box, the file that appeared says 'iPhone 3GS 4.1 (8B117)'. I mention this only since it has '4.1'. Is this relevant/related to the attempted new firmware update in any way?? Thanks again for any help!
    Last edited by melcat76; 2011-08-21 at 03:26 PM.

I think it worked as iYeow instructed. I just tried putting phone back in DFU on my laptop then shift+restore again, and it seemed to work, as it went through the updating firmware process, the status bar below the apple logo filled up to about 75%, at the end, iTunes said it was verifying the update, then I got the 1015 error, just as iYeow said. I just hit 'exit recovery' in tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery... I now have the connect to iTunes/USB cable screen.

Now from what iYeow said, I use redsnow b6 to jailbreak? I have just installed redsnow b6, and determined that I have the newer version of the 3GS (and told the program this). It is now giving me options, only one of which is ticked: install Cydia. I have no clue what I am aiming to do now, so I will await help here for a little while before attempting to plow ahead blind. Any clue what's next, O Knowledgeable Ones?
    Last edited by melcat76; 2011-08-21 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks

Do u have ur australian sim? Use it to get past the emergency calling iTunes screen.(that's what u have right?
    Use this http://limera1n.com/limera1n.exe as you restored to 4.1
    Last edited by xtacy; 2011-08-21 at 05:54 PM.

thanks xtacy, i've updated firmware to 4.1, and received the 1015 error. any clue what I now do with redsnow b6?

yep, aussie sim card is in the phone. but how does this get me past the connect to iTunes screen? THANKS!!
    Last edited by melcat76; 2011-08-21 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks

See I edited my post. You don need redsn0w.
    I asked you something.. Need to know the answer before proceeding

21. The Following User Says Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

melcat76 (2011-08-21)

Wow, I so need to remember to hit refresh! Sorry bout that. Yes, I have the connect to iTunes screen, and I believe I am now on fw 4.1 (even tho I got the 1015 error at the end of the process). trying the link you sent now

Ok, got limera1n. Hit 'make it rain', and went through the whole process, ending with Limera1n symbol on the phone, and message on laptop screen which said 'jailbreak ready, turn it on when done'. Powered my phone on, and my iPhone screen still has cable/iTunes. Did I do something wrong? Is this expected?

Thanks so much. You are awesome, by the way

UPDATE: Limera1n asked me to retry: hold home +power button, etc, now same limerain symbol appeared, then same message saying 'jailbreak done, turn it on when ready'. Turn what on??? Last time I powered my phone on, the iTunes screen was still there. Not game to do anything further
    Last edited by melcat76; 2011-08-21 at 06:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast