Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 4.2.1 -> 4.3.3?

Default iPhone 4 4.2.1 -> 4.3.3?
    So I have a jail broken iPhone 4.0 running 4.2.1 and i'm interested in upgrading to 4.3.3 and rejailbreaking but I don't know how to upgrade to a lower version than the latest one from apple.

Is there any way to easily upgrade to 4.3.3 from 4.2.1 without risking being upgraded to 4.3.5?

Sorry if this is easily answered already and I need to rtfm. I'm very PC literate and hacked windows mobile phones to hell but I'm very novice with iOS and iPhone so the more newb the guide the better.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

SHSH blobs are required to load any non-current iOS. Run Tiny Umbrella and press Save SHSH. What is displayed?

Unfortunately I'm not at my computer right now so I can't run TU but I will definitely check that as soon as I get home and report back.

When I open Cydia on my iPhone it says "SHSH: iOS 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.2b3, 4.3, 4.3.3, 4.3.5" is there any chance that means Cydia has saved SHSH blobs for me for versions I haven't even upgraded to or is that just the standard header on Cydia?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Good, you have options.

However, honestly ... 4.2.1 is really the best at the moment. I wouldn't change it for a few cosmetic changes found in 4.3.3. I would wait until something good comes along --- like 5.0

Well it sounds like Cydia does have blobs for me which is at least a relief for me whether I end up using them or not.

I was wanting to upgrade to 4.3.3 so that MyWI could use infrastructure mode and WPA-PSK security but if there's reasons not to upgrade, it's not the end of the world to stick with WEP. Why do you say 4.2.1 is better than 4.3.3?

BTW thank you very much for the help. A lot of times mods will not be helpful to ppl that haven't read every post of every thread on the first 2 pages and assume every reader has the same level of experience as they do but you've been very helpful and I appreciate it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The reason I don't like 4.3.3, primarily it adds more Apple 'prevent-jailbreaking' code.
    In your case, there's a good reason, infrastructure mode. My 4.2.1 MyWi supports WPA. If infrastructure is important, then go ahead w/4.3.3.

Unless you need an unlock (non-Apple authorized SIM), you can restore to stock iOS 4.3.3.
    Either run TU + TSS server ... or ... change your hosts file 'gs.apple.com' to Cydia.
    TU is the best method because it verifies the SHSH blobs are available when needed.

Then iTunes + shift/click select stock 4.3.3 and restore. (shift/select 4.3.3 is important)
    No iTunes errors should occur.
    Allow iTunes to activate and restore from backup. A full sync can wait.

Done w/restore

Run redsn0w 0.9.6rc19 (the latest), check Cydia. Follow the pwnd-DFU count-down timer and let it finish.

Done w/jailbreak.

Go back to iTunes and do a full sync.
    Note: All you Cydia apps and tweaks will be gone but are easily added later.

BTW: About unhelpful mods. We don't intend to be unhelpful. After answering the
    same question several times a day, at times it does seam like no-one reads
    anything

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    My 4.2.1 MyWi supports WPA. If infrastructure is important, then go ahead w/4.3.3.
    Wait, how does your MyWi support WPA on 4.2.1? When I check the MyWi notes it says

"Can MyWi 4.0 create an Infrastructure network instead of Ad-Hoc?

Yes. This works only for the iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.6+ (Verizon iPhone or GSM 4.3+). The limitation is due to the Broadcom firmware running on the iPhone 4 vs other iOS firmwares/devices (in other words, requires an update from Apple to work on other devices)."

And within MyWi it says "Note: WPA is not supported by Adhoc Networks"

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    BTW: About unhelpful mods. We don't intend to be unhelpful. After answering the
    same question several times a day, at times it does seam like no-one reads
    anything
    I meant nothing about mods on this site; to be honest I haven't posted enough here to have encountered it even if there were mods like that here. But I've surely encountered it before on other sites; and I've been on the other end having answered the same ?s so many times that I fell back to the old RTFF stance myself occasionally. Finding someone as knowledgable and helpful as you've been and seeing a mod tag is just a refreshing thing and worth acknowledgment and thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm on 4.2.1 w/3GS MyWi 4.? (the latest). In the wifi setup screen WPA is toggled on/off with a password field and connections require this password.

It does everything I need with fair security

MyWi 4.61.1
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-22 at 10:43 PM.