Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Restore successful but wont exit dfu mode

Default Restore successful but wont exit dfu mode
    Hi,

I have an iPhone 3GS, which was on 3.1.3. I tried to update it to 4.3.3 but got several different errors, 1600, 37, 1618, to name a few and my iPhone was stuck in DFU mode. I finally got round all these errors by using TinyUmbrella and unchecking the set hosts to cydia button and using ireb to put in pwn dfu, and restoring it to 4.0.1. But when it is finishing restoring it says it is "successful and will reboot the iPhone", however it does not reboot and iTunes then says my iPhone is still in recovery mode, and my iPhone is just a black screen, presumably still in DFU mode. I don't want to upgrade to the newest version as I need an unlock as I'm travelling the USA next week (i'm from UK). What can I do? I don't know if my phone is working or not and just needs to get out of DFU mode? I've tried TinyUmbrella recovery fix and recboot which havn't worked, I can't seem to get out of the black screen. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What the baseband version?

Settings / General / About / Modem firmware

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mes For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

This happened to my iPod 4G, Apple stopped sighning iOS 4.3.3 so if you try to hack iTunes and try to upgrade or downgrade JailBroken or not it will totally brick your iDevice from all firmware except beta firmware. Hint: You have to upgrade to iOS 5 Beta 4 using iTunes 10.3 then do tons of complicated steps then your iPhone will be working just fine on 4.3.3 i have done it and it worked i am also the first.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,646 Times in 8,026 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iGrantD View Post
    This happened to my iPod 4G, Apple stopped sighning iOS 4.3.3 so if you try to hack iTunes and try to upgrade or downgrade JailBroken or not it will totally brick your iDevice from all firmware except beta firmware. Hint: You have to upgrade to iOS 5 Beta 4 using iTunes 10.3 then do tons of complicated steps then your iPhone will be working just fine on 4.3.3 i have done it and it worked i am also the first.
    Huh?

Your iPhone is really messed up. It has been Bricked from all firmware except Beta firmware.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

@adjuzt Restore to custom firmware of 4.1 will preserve your baseband as apple is signing 4.1 should get you back going again.
    Last edited by iYeow; 2011-08-16 at 09:49 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

That may work. But I thought he wanted 4.3.3

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iGrantD For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

Thanks

Never heard of a iPhone being messed up to the point it will only accept beta firmware. Doesnt make sense to me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

Just saying it happened to me so it is a possibility.

Hi,

Thank you kindly for all the replies! I believe it was originally on 05.12.01 for firmware 3.1.3, however what I originally tried to do was use sn0wbreeze to update to 4.3.3 to retain my baseband, but I kept getting the various errors and was unable to solve a 1618 error whilst updating to 4.3.3, I believe what this was was sn0wbreeze didn't finish the update so kinda left a half finished firmware on my iphone. I've been able to complete the restore process on my other laptop to version 4.0.1, but when it says its complete it then tells me its still in restore state. When I plug it into TinyUmbrella it says a DFU device connected, so seems to be stuck in DFU no matter what I do. I don't really mind what firmware is on, the only thing I really need is an unlockable baseband, and for the phone to turn on!

And @Simon with regards to SHSH, i'm afraid I'm unaware, but the standard 3.1.3 SHSH would be my guess? If I havn't overwritten it in al these restore processes? What could I do about that?

@iYeow what do you mean custom firmware? using something greenposion / redsn0w? Sorry for being a bit dense
    Last edited by adjuzt; 2011-08-16 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks

First thing to do then is download tiny umbrella, connect your device and press save SHSH. Do it twice, once with the box in advanced that says "request SHSH from cydia" checked. And once with it not checked.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

Hi Simon, thanks, I've click "Save ALL SHSHs" on TinyUmbrella both times as you suggested but nothing seems to have happened, does it save a file somewhere or something?

Oh, I've checked the log and it states found [0] shsh files to cache...

I was sure I checked "make my life easier" in cydia but it must have been removed during all these restore sessions?

With regards to restoring to 4.1, would you recommend using sn0wbreeze to create a new ispw then shift+restoring in itunes and that would work without having to use ireb or tinyumbrella?
    Last edited by adjuzt; 2011-08-17 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks

Yes, you can restore to a custom 4.1 without using tinyumbrella since Apple is still signing 4.1. You will need to use redsnow or ireb to enter pwned DFU first before restoring to a custom firmware.

You should have been able to save 4.1 SHSH with tiny umbrella if you deselect the box that says "Request SHSH from cydia" like I said to do.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

Ah that's great thank you, I'll try restoring to 4.1 in the morning using sn0wbreeze and see if that works.

Do I have to be running TSS server in order to save SHSH? When I click "Save ALL SHSHs" nothing happens whether "Request SHSH from cydia" is selected or not, the log does not update either? the last line in the log is DFU Device connected.

The log is below:

08/16/2011 23:47:52.657 Loaded History...
    08/16/2011 23:47:52.665 DFU Device connected
    08/16/2011 23:47:56.350 Caching shsh files...
    08/16/2011 23:47:56.353 Found [0] shsh files to cache...
    08/16/2011 23:47:56.356 Cached [0] shsh files
    08/16/2011 23:47:56.368 You are using the current version of TinyUmbrella.
    08/16/2011 23:49:25.951 DFU Device disconnected
    08/16/2011 23:49:30.069 DFU Device connected

the first two entries with regards to shsh files were what I tried before, but it doesn't seem to be updating when I try to click "Save ALL SHSHs" again.

Thanks

No, you dont have to run the TSS server when saving SHSH. PM me your ECID and I will check what SHSH you have. Make sure before you try restoring to the custom 4.1 firmware that you deselect the box in cydia that says "set hosts to cydia on exit" and then close tiny umbrella.

I was able to save 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.3 and 4.3.5 with your ECID. So you can restore to any of those firmware. I would suggest making a custom 4.3.3 firmware with pwnage tool or snowbreeze and restoring to that in itunes. In this case first open tiny umbrella and make sure the box under advanced that says "set hosts to cydia on exit" IS selected. Then close tiny umbrella and proceed with the custom 4.3.3 firmware restore.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

Wow that's great, thank you so much! Alright, so I'll make a custom firmware with snowbreeze for 4.3.3, then make sure that set hosts to cydia on exit is selected. So I don't need to run the TSS Server? Or click Save SHSHs on tinyumbrella? will it find the SHSHs itself without me doing anything other than "set hosts to cydia"?

Thanks once again, I'll let you know how it goes once I get the other laptop back that I know will work in the restore process, *fingers crossed*

Thanks

Yup, no need to run TSS server. With that box selected your hosts will be pointed to cydia where your SHSH are saved. Just be sure to close tiny umbrella after making sure that box is selected.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

You my friend are an absolute hero! Thank you so so much!! I used ireb to put into pwn dfu, used sn0wbreeze to create custom 4.3.3, made sure the set hosts on exit was ticked on tinyumbrellla and restored with itunes, it booted up successfully and I now how a fully working iPhone! You are a lifesaver, thank you so much! I have one last question if you don't mind... because I completed the restore on my other laptop which was the only one I could use without errors, that laptop doesn't have any of my old synced data, music contacts, etc. all of that is on my main desktop pc. So if I was to sync my fresh iPhone with my desktop, would it copy all my data onto the iPhone, or make my itunes on my desktop blank like my phone is? It's just I know it normally copies from phone onto pc, so wouldn't want to wipe itunes with a blank phone if that makes any sense. But thank you once again!

Thanks

It will copy all your stuff back to the phone. iTunes wouldn't wipe your computer.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

adjuzt (2011-08-17)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast