Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need to JB 3GS on 4.1 Please Help!

Default Need to JB 3GS on 4.1 Please Help!
    Ok I'm no newbie to jailbreaking iphones but the more I learn about the process nowadays the less I feel like I know...

I am terribly sorry if this has already been covered here before but I've searched and searched with no solution. I'm begging for your help.

I was still on 4.0 firmware about a month ago and jailbroken. MyWi caused my Cydia to crash on every action it tried to do so I restored my phone and updated it to 4.1 via iTunes. My problem now is I have spent countless hours of searching and made numerous attempts with no luck at all.

All I want to do is jailbreak my phone.

I have a PPC Mac running 10.5 Leopard.
    I have access to a PC running Win7 or Vista if I need.
    My 3GS is on v4.1 with 05.14.02 baseband.

I've tried pwnage tool about 3 weeks ago with no luck (iTunes would not sign)
    I tried greenpoison (on windows, no support for non-intel macs)... it says "Jailbreak Failed"
    I downloaded TinyUmbrella but I have no idea how to use it since I have never saved an SHSH file of my own and I do not know where to look for an already JB 4.1 SHSH.

Is SHSH the same thing as an .ipsw?

Please everyone/anyone. I need your help.

Do I need to upgrade or downgrade or what? I don't expect a detailed explanation, If someone can just link me to a fix that I can use or just point me in the right direction. I'm just stuck and feel like I've exhausted all resources.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Update: I read through a thread on here about an hour ago stating that Apple is signing 4.1 again on 3GS phones for some reason so I tried pwnage tool again with no luck. When I select the custom firmware created with pwnage tool, I get this error... "This device is not eligible for the selected restore."

55 views and no replies.... =(

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

^ did u Put it in dfu?

Yes I did, several times. I've tried multiple "methods". By Pwnage tool's instructions, by Greenpo1son's instructions and also on YouTube.

The screen goes black but the code never shows up. It just sits there at the black screen. I wanna say its going into recovery and not DFU? Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I've JB my first iphone with pwnagetool before.

Any thoughts?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

SHSH blobs are encrypted files Apple uses to allow/disallow firmware loads.

Apple is allowing 3G/3GS @ 4.1 at the moment. Use Tiny Umbrella (sig below) to retrieve and store these on your computer. Then start TU + TSS Server to serve them up during iTines load/restore.

Should be the same, but this sometimes works when the other method does not.

Note: Use your windows PC. A PPC Mac can not load (I think) the latest iTunes. V 10+ or higher is required
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-15 at 05:22 AM.

Thank you, Mes. I will try that soon but might need some assistance as to where to retrieve the shsh's from etc. Sorry if im a little slow at this. I have the latest version of iTunes on my Powermac G5 running Leopard. I believe iTunes is at 10.4.

Mes, do you have an AIM or msn handle to maybe make it easier? If not thats cool ill just continue to post here.

Thanks in advance

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's best to continue in the thread.

There's lots of valuable information in the Tiny Umbrella link below. Also, running TU is fairly straight forward, it can't harm anything. Go for it, see what it does. Press the buttons. The main General window will display your available SHSH blobs.

Also: iTunes 10.4 is perfect. For some reason, I thought PPC Macs were old-technology running old-software versions.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-16 at 01:01 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me xtacy's Avatar
    Thanks

One more thing did u try limera1n?

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    One more thing did u try limera1n?
    Limera1n is only supported on Intel Macs, sadly.
    I may see if theres a windows version.

Thank you Mes, ill try it out again tomorrow.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Now that I think about it, I don't know how many utilities (like Tiny Umbrella, iREB, fixrecovery, etc) will work on the PPC. It will be obvious is it doesn't. Hope you don't need one that doesn't work